Intermittent HUD

Imp558

okay this is for the SSEI but it's fundamentally the same unit that's in the Grand Prix. the display comes and goes at will, it's dark more than it's lit. Is anybody else had this problem with one and figured out what the problem is? Today I'm going to see if I can find any funny Connections in it but this one's got a cable that goes down into the dash so it's kind of limited as how I can get access to it, such is the way with an H body.

I just did a bunch of resoldering. Didn't see anything in there resembling a bulb. I prettied up the connections to two photocells in the dashboard as well. Have to see if it works when I get the power to the system but I have the battery disconnected right now until I'm all done with the whole car

Edited by Imp558

bulb? I can't see any reason why a VFD + reflector would require any other source of light...

I think you've mentioned it being a 97 before? that's 20 years now... if cleaning up the solder joints doesn't fix it, I would replace the 4 or so electrolytic caps used for the VFD power supply, they're probably way out of spec by now.

I'd like to get good holders for the photocells out of a wrecking yard car and replace the photocells that are inside them with new ones from Mouser. that's not a bad idea replacing the capacitors as well