55trucker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationOshawa, Ontario

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:45 PM

This won't be the easiest for an individual to just *walk-up-to-and-cut-out*

I require a small section of the right quarter panel, I've discovered a small spot that has begun to come thu from the inside.

If anyone is located in a basically rust free area and goes into any salvage yards and comes across the same coupe in good condition could someone please inquire at the desk as to how much they would ...

1. charge for this small piece if the buyer were to cut it out

2. what they would charge to themselves cut out this needed section? I'm really reaching to ask if anyone has a battery powered angle grinder who could themselves remove this small piece.

The car doesn't exist here anymore in the yards, this is my only way to get a replacement section so I can cut out the bad portion and mig the replacement in. 

The piece needed is approx. 9"x9" square,

it's the outer skin that has rotted including the folded lip in the wheelwell but taking the section down to the rocker pinch weld would be better

Emmys%20Grand%20Prix%20bad%20spot_zpsdbk

LO6Cy24.jpg

Steve

#2 jimmyfloyd

jimmyfloyd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

chances are you might need a larger section than that. I wish I could help you out with this, but I can't recall the last time I saw a w-body in the junkyard that was rust free in that area. 

3215884168_1899fbb87c_o.jpg

2015 GMC Terrain | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

#3 55trucker

55trucker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationOshawa, Ontario

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

My bad spot is right in the bottom corner, 80% of it is hidden by the GFX piece, it extends forward from the corner approx 4" inside, approx 4" upwards from the pinch weld at the very bottom inside. The inner skin is undamaged (there's not really any inner skin at all with the exception of the wheelwell & only comes into play right at the wheelwell where the outer skin is folded 90 degrees & spot welded to it.

I've put out feelers to approx 10 different salvage yards in the rust free southern areas that have this body on their lots, not one has responded.

I didn't expect this to be an easy matter. 

LO6Cy24.jpg

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users