95 cutlass convertible broken glove box

tonytoca_87

Hi all has any vert owners especially 95 vert owners ever had to replace the glove box? I broke the handle to mines and ive been driving my car with the glovebox just hanging lol. Is there a way to fix it or is the junk yard my only option. Appreciate any help.

Mine broke years ago in my 94 CS and I just left it, the top is heavy enough it doesnt bounce. I did go to the JY to get another latch and I believe its one of those parts that has a spring that likes to shoot off into oblivion. If you dont have a huge urge to have the factory latch just get a few velcro strips, they have industrial stuff at Home depot.

• Like 1

Mine broke years ago in my 94 CS and I just left it, the top is heavy enough it doesnt bounce. I did go to the JY to get another latch and I believe its one of those parts that has a spring that likes to shoot off into oblivion. If you dont have a huge urge to have the factory latch just get a few velcro strips, they have industrial stuff at Home depot.

if I'm not mistaken the 95s open under so they hang down, whereas the earlier ones opened up so gravity keeps it closed at Nate as if open
  • Like 2

88-94 Olds glovebox doors open up towards the windshield. If the door is broken, it will bounce around. You're actually fighting gravity to have it closed.

• Like 1

if I'm not mistaken the 95s open under so they hang down, whereas the earlier ones opened up so gravity keeps it closed at Nate as if open

Thats is correct the 95s and up hang down. Sucks because the latch broke so whoever sits in the passenger seat doesnt have much leg room.

So if i swapp it out i will loose the locking feature correct?

You have to swap your lock to the new door so you can lock your glove box. Either that or change the tumblers on the yard door.

• Like 1

If you find one at a junkyard grab the key too. Sure it's the lock that broke and not just the latch?

The latch is definitely broken. As far as the lock id have to double check. So if my lock is good can i swapp it into a different latch? Or i have to replace the whole piece latch with new lock? I Appreciate everyones help on trying to help me fix the glovebox

A glovebox door from any 95-97 cutlass superme or 94-96 grand prix should work, provided its the correct colour.

If that's the case, wouldn't a 95-96 Regal work as well? I thought the 3 got the same dashboard.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...