1995 LQ1 water pump questions

rich_e777

Ok so Ive been in the middle of changing out the water pump on the Vert, tried a few gaskets that didnt quite match the water pump I have P/N AWP-625 same as the one for the 3100. But the gaskets do line up on the engine. 3 of the 5 bolt holes will line up on the WP when installed with the weep hole down and indicator up. For the life of me I cannot find the WP that came off the car but I do have the original to my 3100 and it to does not fit all the bolt holes when installed either.

Cpn1r4Y.jpg

UCqvYmK.jpg

oPhUYyM.jpg

Now I`m no ASE mechanic but that dont look right to me. Is there something I`m missing or a discontinued P/N for a LQ1 WP?

Edited by rich_e777

Who's pump did you pick up?

A Cardone reman or one of those offshore knock-offs?

There should be three nubs on the casting...the wide one at the 12 o'clock two more thinner ones at 4 & at 8 o'clock.

The impeller should be the heavy duty cast iron tapered impeller as well, the knock-offs are using a stamped thin less than desirable impeller.

You want this....this is the Cardone reman..

5513127-LEF.jpg

• Like 2

Ive tried every position and the water pump doesnt match the bolt pattern on the engine, it is a cardone that has the heavy duty impeller i got from rockauto, learned my lesson on those with the 3100. It looks just like the factory 3100 WP I took off my other car. Same tabs. The gasket lines up on the engine perfectly but not on the water pump. Oddly enough I cannot find the part that came off the car, I dont throw stuff like that away for this very reason. 

I`m going to try a knockoff just to see if I may have the wrong pump but in the right box. Or maybe give NAPA a shot today, IIRC they carry more OE parts. So its not just bad info out there and a LQ1 really does use the same WP as a 3100?

Curious..

in those pics you supplied I do not see the tabs at the 4 & 8 o'clock position, just the one at the 12 position, that led me to think it is an offshore pump (even Cardone supplies the new offshore pump, but I prefer their original reman item just to get the correct impeller).

but the replacement pump you have there definitely has the original cast iron impeller?

The pump is a universal item fitting all of the 60 degree alloy head engines of that era.

It was the cardone one on rockauto for about $20, I bought one from Napa thats a remaned but has the heavy duty impeller and it went right on, gasket matched and everything at the store perfectly. On the other WP it was offset like in the pics no matter which way i turned it. This Napa one has one larger tab and two smaller ones where the cardone one only has one. 

Makes me wonder who the offshore third party manufacturer is that is incorrectly machining these housings & putting them on the market?

Even AC Delco is supplying new offshore junk. 

AC Delco is? Not going to lie I nearly bought the $90 AC WP trying to keep everything original.

It certainly has to be the mounting plate that messed up, the Napa one went right on granted in only one direction but the holes lined up, no matter how I tried the cardone the pattern was offset.

The lesson here, buy NAPA?

AC Delco is? Not going to lie I nearly bought the $90 AC WP trying to keep everything original.

It certainly has to be the mounting plate that messed up, the Napa one went right on granted in only one direction but the holes lined up, no matter how I tried the cardone the pattern was offset.

The lesson here, buy NAPA?

It's not so much the dealer where you go to purchase the parts so much as it is who's parts that dealer is supplying that you the custom can select from.

Where the coolant pump is concerned I'm not sure if you can find a chinese made Delco pump ( wouldn't surprise me tho if you can) but items for example like rotors, headlight housings, electrical switches are being imported by Delco.

Cutting overhead where they can....