Mechanic familiar with 1989 Grand Prix SE w/5 speed in Chicago

R Crusoe

Looking for experienced Pontiac mechanic in Chicago familiar with my model. Have some issues that current mechanics are unable to diagnose properly. Help!

Three issues. 1) Digital speedometer reading incorrectly, shows approximately 50% of actual speed. Tried to change speed sensor on trans axel w/o success. 2) Slow drain on battery. Instrument panel gauges seem to show some current to them even with key removed, 3) DIC does not reset when fuel tank is full, shows check fuel even when full.

The early GP's were known to have bad soldering points on the clusters. Someone on here actually fixes them. Is it safe to guess that your RPM doesn't read out correctly?

I believe the RPM readout is accurate. All the other gauges seem to be working OK but when the ignition is turned off, some of the gauges have a readout,

post-2404-0-60821800-1486420167_thumb.jpgpost-2404-0-34946200-1486420189_thumb.jpg  -- The first image is the instrument cluster after car has been sitting for a while. It shows readings on the tach, the temp and the oil pressure gauges but the engine is off.  The second image is the DIC display showing the check fuel even with a full tank.

Robert Saar is the master of these kind of things. Hopefully he will find this thread. If not, you can always shoot him a message. His username is RobertISaar. That is a capital i not a lower case L.

The second image is the DIC display showing the check fuel even with a full tank.

How long have you owned that vehicle?

That photo of that DIC display is a '91 or later DIC, the 88-90 DIC is the older design.

I'm going to assume that someone has installed that into your car .

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ghjwxmx22X4/maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

Have seen gauges do that when a ground is bad. Floating ground could cause everything. I'd just try running a jumper wire from a hard engine ground to the dash shell and see if things change.

I have owned the car since new in 1989. DIC is what was there when the car was delivered new. Bought it in California, moved to Illinois with it driving cross country and then to Florida. Now back in Illinois where car is garaged and waiting to sort out small but agrivating issues before re-registering it again. Engine running well after replacing stock fuel injectors.

The first image of the instrument cluster with the gauges showing readings is with the ignition off and no key in the ignition. When the ignition is on, the instrument panel lights up completely .

Is replacing ignition switch a big deal? Could I do it myself?

The switch is located on the topside of the steering column approx half way down. It is connected to the key tumbler via a length of hard wire that moves back & forth to open/close the switch contacts as you turn the key.

It's not terribly difficult to get at, remove the plastic shield under the dash, drop the driver's side knee pad, unfasten the bolts that hold up the column, it will fall onto the seat, you can now see the switch assembly. If the switch is the source you can disconnect the harness from the switch and observe if the issue goes away.

I'm still puzzled by the later VFD display DIC in an '89 vehicle instead of the LCD. :confused: ....with the key on & when you open either the left or right door does that show up in the DIC display as well? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Same. Perhaps it's a very late production 89 and some got the updated DIC? :shrug:

How late production?  Those DICs didn't come out until 2 years later.  LOL

How late production? Those DICs didn't come out until 2 years later. LOL

Late that it sat at a dealer for 2 years and the dealer upgraded it. Hahahaha

How late production?  Those DICs didn't come out until 2 years later.  LOL

Technically they came out the very next year in the STE (1990).

Either way, it didn't come in that car originally. Could have been a warranty replacement at some point.