F Body Brake Upgrade

Grandprix1

May as well order rubber lines if rock has them cheap.

No id order SS lines. If I'm already in there and half to taken them at least off the calipers I may as well upgrade those as well. SS lines are on my plans list so if I'm taking everything apart I'll do them instead of just taking them apart again.

That's a typo, I don't think 117 even exist. Every now and then you'll see 5×114.3, that's a ford pattern that is close enough to interchange with 5×115.

Yeah, 117 doesn't exist. The funniest bolt pattern I've ever heard of is 108 and 112 and they're found on European cars... some Fords use 108 though.

Ok thought so. I'm thinking... instead of doing dual piston calipers from a kit would it be cheaper and just as effective to just go with a good pad and rotor and leave the stock caliper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred Flintstone had a cost effective braking system.

What is that? Never heard of them. This is back to senior in high school thing can't afford much even with a job. The stock calipers work and they are quite and have a nice feel to them but if you need to stop quickly they heat up and don't stop so well anymore. Same after ABS has kicked on. Brakes feel like shit after that. It stops but the pedal is hard

Ok thought so. I'm thinking... instead of doing dual piston calipers from a kit would it be cheaper and just as effective to just go with a good pad and rotor and leave the stock caliper?

The dual piston set up was night and day even with the cheaper powerstop pads for me. Compared to my much higher end rotor/pads with the stock calipers. Was one of the best mods i ever did Edited by jake91

Ok I'll have to see if I can make it work. The brakes definitely aren't bad. But they aren't good either

What is that? Never heard of them. 

Fred Flintstone had a cost effective braking system.

white-guy-blinking-meme-gif.gif

I'm not actually so old that kids today don't know who The Flintstones are, am I?  This is a joke, right?

I'm not actually so old that kids today don't know who The Flintstones are, am I? This is a joke, right?

I've heard of it but that's about it....

Not to hijack, but is the newer impala/ dual piston upgrade applicable to a 1.5 gen (my MC Z34)? I put brand new Thermoquiet pads and rotors on a couple years ago at all 4 corners, but I'll be damned if I can get the tires to lock up on drive pavement (ABS aside). It probably doesn't help that I had to use the smaller booster in lieu of my 284 swap, but sheesh. I figure with the powertrain mods, I want some better braking to go along with it. 

Not to hijack, but is the newer impala/ dual piston upgrade applicable to a 1.5 gen (my MC Z34)? I put brand new Thermoquiet pads and rotors on a couple years ago at all 4 corners, but I'll be damned if I can get the tires to lock up on drive pavement (ABS aside). It probably doesn't help that I had to use the smaller booster in lieu of my 284 swap, but sheesh. I figure with the powertrain mods, I want some better braking to go along with it.

I don't think they will but don't quote me on that. I think they are only 2nd gens

I'm not actually so old that kids today don't know who The Flintstones are, am I? This is a joke, right?

To be fair, Cartoon Network hasn't aired the Flintstones since the mid 2000s. If he's in hs, I'd assume he's born between 98-00, which basically means that by that point the Flintstones were moved to boomerang. You have a better chance of him knowing Tom and Jerry

No, the MC has the same front brakes as the 1G W's. You should already have the dual front pistons, and depending on the year the bigger front rotors

Sent from my Moto G4 Plus using Tapatalk

To be fair, Cartoon Network hasn't aired the Flintstones since the mid 2000s. If he's in hs, I'd assume he's born between 98-00, which basically means that by that point the Flintstones were moved to boomerang. You have a better chance of him knowing Tom and Jerry

Your correct on that one! Tom and Jerry was a good show when I watched TV. I've never been much into TV, always wanted to be outside and still do to this day

Will the Goodrich Stainless Steel lines for a Grand Prix work on the impala calipers. I think I I'm going to start buying parts next week...

Well i placed an order with rock auto for the Impala SS 12" brake kit. Should be here thursday. Then will wait a couple of weeks and get the rear kit and lines. Hope to have installed by early june. Hopefully this will also help my wet stopping power cause right now its pitiful.

Those look like single piston. I'm glad to hear they stop great though. When the stock brakes are wet they suck. But when dry they aren't terrible as long as they don't get to hot or to cold

Ah ok. Do you think the rotors look better then the 10" ones inside the wheel?

The 12 inch rotors really fill out the rim. I don't really have a good comparison picture.

Nice that's kinda what I was hoping for. I bought the kit so it's got powder coated calipers. I'm only getting the rears just so everything matches

• Like 1