Convert a '91 to an '88 Pace Car Replica?

sean1991olds

Completely random idea that came to me. I'm not saying I will do it, but - what do you guys think?

I'm big on keeping cars all original or mostly original, BUT I like the idea that it would draw more interest and attention to it being an Oldsmobile. So things that would have to change would be paint, convertible top color, lower body items, maybe adding the HUD.

Also, I really like the look of the black/silver, and how they painted the rims on the pace car. Whats your feeling on A) effectively losing an original 91 convertible and B ) creating a "fake" / "clone" ?

A- Losing an original 91 convertible is always bad, but losing yours in particular would be heartbreaking. 90/91 verts can still be found...get one in bad shape and rescue it while creating the replica.

B- I've never had a problem with clones as long as they are disclosed as such.

Edited by MemphisMan
  • Like 1

I'm with MemphisMan on this one. Get one that's a bit more beat and fix it up. These cars aren't that hard to fix up, especially non LQ1 cars. Besides... better to have 2 lol

• Like 1

Yeah, I do suppose there are worse off 90-91's that would be better candidates huh!

I found a white, and also a black '91 both in decent but easily fixable shape. Black one would be easier to start with.

If I have to be honest though any big money I put into a car will go into my dads 1972 442 W-30 Convertible. I need to get it here (from Canada) and start fixing it up.

J_mezz, I looked up some of your posts and people related, wow- there is some interesting pace car stuff posted here!

that front bumper looks like the HairyGlass unit, designed for their 6" stretched one piece front end (can be shortened fortunately) for the pro stock/and their cutty funnycar body

so replicating it might not be too difficult since Hairyglass made the cutty stuff back in 87 for the 88 nhra cars to have the bodywork.

go ahead lookup youtube for 87/88 NHRA and watch some vintage racing and youll see em.

plus with it being fiberglass you could modify it easily

im in love with their doors....biggest weight loss item lol

i like the looks of the wheels to. I've never been one to dump a lot of money into something that doesnt need it, but if I found one that needed paint i would try that scheme for sure...nice looking car