3.4x vs 3.1 convertibles

cutty collector

Does anybody have any idea what the ratio of 3.4 x convertibles are compared to 3.1 units from the ten or so that seem to be for sale here in Ontario it would seem a lot of them were equipped with the 3.1? I would have assumed that when youre buying a convertible and checking off options there would be few that had the grocery getter engine? Most customers had no Idea that the 3.4 is sort of a maintenance nightmare versus the 3.1 does anyone have any numbers of total 3.4 engines produced ?

I don't know the actual number, but would expect the LQ1 would have been not nearly as common. These cars were expensive. A fully optioned LQ1 convertible sold for around $29,000 new in 1995. Keeping in mind the engine was a $1900.00 option in '95, I could easily understand why many would have simply gotten the 3.1 to try to keep the price somewhat reasonable.

I may be a little high on the cost of the option..going by memory. I found a sticker online for a '94 Grand Prix, that engine was part of a $1600.00 option package. Based on my experience of scouring junkyards looking for 3.4 cars, I'd be surprised if 10% of them got the 3.4.

My guess is that the engine ratio of surviving verts is different than the original build ratio.   I think that higher optioned verts with the 3.4 were more likely to have been taken care of and survive, even considering the 3.4 maintenance issues.    Lower optioned 3.1 verts were more likely to be totalled by insurance companies after an accident, or considered a disposable car by their second (or third/fourth/fifth) owners and not maintained.  This would explain why Galaxie500XL sees more 3.1 cars in the junkyard.

I don't see many of these verts anymore here in Oregon, I might see 5 a year on the road, not enough to be statistically significant. I'm sure someone with more time than me could scan all the nationwide craigslist ads and determine the ratio of surviving cars.

Personally, I chose a 3100 car because it was my daily for about 100k miles and I wanted the reliability.    Now my son is driving it, and wishes I would have got the 3.4.   

I'm not sure if there is a convertible option, but I know a lot of times on Autozone or advance auto when you have to choose your engine and stuff it'll tell you the percent of cars that came with one versus the other. Like I said though, I doubt that's going to be convertible specific

• Like 2

I'm not sure if there is a convertible option, but I know a lot of times on Autozone or advance auto when you have to choose your engine and stuff it'll tell you the percent of cars that came with one versus the other. Like I said though, I doubt that's going to be convertible specific

In 1994 the 3.4 was found in 7% of all Cutlass Supremes, in 1995 it was 1% according to AutoZone. The 1999 GTP at least got 12%. Now how accurate those numbers are...I spend a lot of time in the store with nothing to do.

• Like 2

I would say OHV cars outweigh the DOHC cars since the OHV cars were available 1990-95 while the DOHC was introduced in 1993 on the convertible. With that, I see way more DOHC cars in the junkyards than I do OHV cars.

In 1994 the 3.4 was found in 7% of all Cutlass Supremes, in 1995 it was 1% according to AutoZone. The 1999 GTP at least got 12%. Now how accurate those numbers are...I spend a lot of time in the store with nothing to do.Any idea what percentage of 3.4 they claim for 93 models

In 1994 the 3.4 was found in 7% of all Cutlass Supremes, in 1995 it was 1% according to AutoZone. The 1999 GTP at least got 12%. Now how accurate those numbers are...I spend a lot of time in the store with nothing to do.

I think that's wrong. Advance puts the 3.4 cutlass at 60% or so

Example: 1994. 44,395 coupes were made. Of those, 8638 were Z7S convertibles since convertibles started out as coupes. 10,662 coupes and convertibles got the 3.4 leaving 33733 coupes and convertibles with the 3100. Maybe that puts things in to perspective.

I would say OHV cars outweigh the DOHC cars since the OHV cars were available 1990-95 while the DOHC was introduced in 1993 on the convertible. With that, I see way more DOHC cars in the junkyards than I do OHV cars.

We have 3 yards in my area, and there are zero Olds verts of any year 92 to 95.

We have 3 yards in my area, and there are zero Olds verts of any year 92 to 95.

Canadian cars are hard to find as it is. Probably 5% of all production were Canadian.