Think this'll buff out?

gmcem50

It WAS a mint condition '96 Regal GS Coupe with 65K on it until last Saturday...  Unfortunately my daughter turned left in front of someone doing 25+ over the limit and misjudged the distance. Done, aaaaaaand done! Now I'm trying to decide what to do with it.  :sad:

post-9672-0-13617700-1473378566_thumb.jpg

Fender, bumper, grill. Hood looks like it could be saved. Painted up about $2,500 to fix it. I don't think you could find another one for $2,500 in that shape.

That's what I tried to tell the insurance adjuster. According to him it's worth $2,000 tops and it's a total. 

hit like that likely has suspension and strut tower damage.

Yeah, the front wheels are about 15 degrees out of parallel to each other. I know there is suspension damage. 

The real pisser is that it has brand new tires (less than 300 miles on them), and engine & trans are super tight and perfect. This car was garage kept and it still has its factory paint, which is still shiny like new. The leather seats are original and look new too. I'm trying to decide what to do with it now; fix it or part it out. Plus, my insurance company is trying to screw me on the value. 

Yeah, I saw that one. And it's even a four door, and those things are like a dime-a-dozen, at least around here. I see them everywhere, but I never see coupes. 

I'd love to find a clean Cutlass Convertible with a bad drive train and swap my 3.8 and interior into it. That's what I was looking for when I found this Regal. 

I'd try to get an independent estimate from a body shop and go from there. Not sure why it's considered a total loss. My 96 Infiniti got hit twice and the at fault person's insurance paid out for both incidents despite being a 150k and 160k mile car at the time of incident.

I'd try to get an independent estimate from a body shop and go from there. Not sure why it's considered a total loss. My 96 Infiniti got hit twice and the at fault person's insurance paid out for both incidents despite being a 150k and 160k mile car at the time of incident.

Probably because it was an Infinity.

The adjustor wasn't here for three minutes before he declared out of hand something to the effect, "Yeah, this car is 20 years old so it's going to be a total loss". There is a lot of anti-domestic in general, and anti-GM in particular, sentiment around here that is apparently showing through in this instance. Case in point, a friend of mine had a 1992 Honda Civic with 240,000 miles on it, and she recently rear ended someone, totaling her car. Now it was literally a steaming pile of crap; it was filthy inside, every fabric surface was stained and smelly; the sets were shredded; the carpet was filthy and torn; the paint was faded and chalky; the AC didn't work; the power windows didn't work; it was leaking coolant, and oil, and pretty much every fluid it had, and so on. It was the kind of car that no sane person would dare climb into for fear of catching something. It is an understatement to say that it was completely hammered beyond belief and ready for the scrap yard BEFORE she wrecked it. The insurance company gave her $3500 for it! Now these same assholes (same company, same adjustor) are telling me that my MINT, low mile, spotlessly clean, immaculate '96 Regal is only worth $2000. GEICO sucks, is allI can say about that. Looks like I'll be calling Farmers pretty soon.

My best friend is a paint & body man (35 years of experience) so we CAN fix it if I decide to, and for probably less than the amount of the retention check.  I'm just not sure I want another project, which will then have a salvage title. I currently have two in line in front of this and my wife's patience is running a bit thin.  

Probably because it was an Infinity.

The adjustor wasn't here for three minutes before he declared out of hand something to the effect, "Yeah, this car is 20 years old so it's going to be a total loss". There is a lot of anti-domestic in general, and anti-GM in particular, sentiment around here that is apparently showing through in this instance. Case in point, a friend of mine had a 1992 Honda Civic with 240,000 miles on it, and she recently rear ended someone, totaling her car. Now it was literally a steaming pile of crap; it was filthy inside, every fabric surface was stained and smelly; the sets were shredded; the carpet was filthy and torn; the paint was faded and chalky; the AC didn't work; the power windows didn't work; it was leaking coolant, and oil, and pretty much every fluid it had, and so on. It was the kind of car that no sane person would dare climb into for fear of catching something. It is an understatement to say that it was completely hammered beyond belief and ready for the scrap yard BEFORE she wrecked it. The insurance company gave her $3500 for it! Now these same assholes (same company, same adjustor) are telling me that my MINT, low mile, spotlessly clean, immaculate '96 Regal is only worth $2000. GEICO sucks, is allI can say about that. Looks like I'll be calling Farmers pretty soon.

My best friend is a paint & body man (35 years of experience) so we CAN fix it if I decide to, and for probably less than the amount of the retention check.  I'm just not sure I want another project, which will then have a salvage title. I currently have two in line in front of this and my wife's patience is running a bit thin.  

Mine is the lesser of the lesser one though. The one that people think is a tarted up Sentra (it's not even based on it at all). The forgotten one... more forgotten than the M30. The one I have to specify it's an Infiniti and not a Chevy since they used the same model name. (G20. The old school Chevy Van is also considered a G20).

Anyways, is your daughter at fault for the accident? Your insurance comment seems rather strange. Geico is fine when you're at fault (because they're so cheap on payouts) but suck when you have to deal with them as the person making a claim. One thing's for sure. If you think Geico sucks, imagine what Progressive does. Those asshats have no hesitation in paying out, even if the repair estimate is overvalued. And for the record, insurance companies never take into consideration the mechanical aspects of a car. I was in an accident once that blew out my tire and the at fault driver's insurance didn't want to pay me the tire or the amplifier the accident put into permanent "protect" mode.

The salvage title from what I'm told is dependent on the insurance reporting to the DMV. A lot of the times, the insurance won't even report the accident, other times they'll report it but not report its status as a "total loss" or requirement of a "salvage" title. I almost bought a Lumina once with a clean title but the carfax showed an accident with airbags deployed. Needless to say, I walked away.

Anyways, is your daughter at fault for the accident? Your insurance comment seems rather strange. Geico is fine when you're at fault (because they're so cheap on payouts) but suck when you have to deal with them as the person making a claim. One thing's for sure. If you think Geico sucks, imagine what Progressive does. Those asshats have no hesitation in paying out, even if the repair estimate is overvalued. And for the record, insurance companies never take into consideration the mechanical aspects of a car. I was in an accident once that blew out my tire and the at fault driver's insurance didn't want to pay me the tire or the amplifier the accident put into permanent "protect" mode.

The salvage title from what I'm told is dependent on the insurance reporting to the DMV. A lot of the times, the insurance won't even report the accident, other times they'll report it but not report its status as a "total loss" or requirement of a "salvage" title. I almost bought a Lumina once with a clean title but the carfax showed an accident with airbags deployed. Needless to say, I walked away.

GEICO has determined, in spite of the fact that the other driver was speeding (25+ over the posted limit according to multiple eyewitnesses), had no driver license, no insurance, and fake plates on her car, AND my daughter came to a complete stop when she realized how fast the idiot was going, it is my daughter's fault because she turned left into the path of the other driver. No other facts matter. Multiple witnesses at the scene confirmed the erratic behavior of the other driver. GEICO doesn't even want to review the police report. They told me that if I wanted them to review it, I would have to contact the police department and ask for a copy, then submit it to them. Otherwise they weren't interested in seeing it. I have nine cars insured with GEICO and my house. Apparently many years as a loyal high volume customer paying thousands every year in premiums isn't enough for a little consideration or due diligence. 

I don't know how it works in DC, but here (CA) the DMV rides you like a rented mule if you don't relinquish your title after a total loss. The insurance companies always report it to the DMV, which opens up a whole other can of worms and hassles when retitling your car. 

GEICO has determined, in spite of the fact that the other driver was speeding (25+ over the posted limit according to multiple eyewitnesses), had no driver license, no insurance, and fake plates on her car, AND my daughter came to a complete stop when she realized how fast the idiot was going, it is my daughter's fault because she turned left into the path of the other driver. No other facts matter. Multiple witnesses at the scene confirmed the erratic behavior of the other driver. GEICO doesn't even want to review the police report. They told me that if I wanted them to review it, I would have to contact the police department and ask for a copy, then submit it to them. Otherwise they weren't interested in seeing it. I have nine cars insured with GEICO and my house. Apparently many years as a loyal high volume customer paying thousands every year in premiums isn't enough for a little consideration or due diligence. 

I don't know how it works in DC, but here (CA) the DMV rides you like a rented mule if you don't relinquish your title after a total loss. The insurance companies always report it to the DMV, which opens up a whole other can of worms and hassles when retitling your car. 

Yeah, I've been though that situation before. I'd get a lawyer if I was you, if there's valid proof that the other driver was acting reckless, because in my area speed is a factor in determining fault, I think you have a case. 

Hmm Yeah that does sound like California... always finding a way to harass. 

Wow, can't believe Geico is being that big of a bitch.  They probably don't want to have to go after the driver of the other car with no insurance :( Shitty for sure.  

What value did they give the car?  Time to start browsing Craigslist for similar cars in as good a condition as you can find.  A guy on my local forum asked for help for people to find other sale ads for trucks similar to his...because his insurance company gave him some BS low offer $$ at first.  But after he submitted the data they nearly doubled the number (from $6k to almost $13k I think). 

Sucks to hear about the car. I do think with the mileage it may be worth fixing, even if it will have a salvage title. From external appearance, a fender, bumper and headlight/turn signal found in the correct color would restore the external appearance (assuming no frame damage.) The wheel being off could be a bent control arm, and if that's the case, replacing that might not be difficult.

While I agree that it might be worth looking into going after the other person for the cost of damages, you said yourself that they had no license, fake plates, no registration and no insurance. Most of that makes me believe that they might also have no money to cover whatever settlement you would win years from now.

I would first try and prove that they have undervalued your car. You may be able to do this with an independent appraiser (like someone appraising classic cars) or the easier approach i to find comparable cars and submit them as evidence that the valuation is low.

With the assumptions above, I myself would consider buying the car back. You know it's issues and maintenance history already, and as you said, everything is tight. If you find panels in the correct color, you may be able to save on paintwork as well. The hood look usable as is too. Will it look mint this way, no, but it will look good and presentable. Then let your daughter drive it until you do locate the perfect cutlass convertible or another regal. 

That's how it works.  If you pull out in front of another car when they have the right of way, the accident is your fault.  The other driver was likely cited for their infractions, but the insurance company has no way to determine the speed of the other vehicle, and at the end of the day, pulling out in front of a car that has the right of way will always put you at fault.  

Yep, because its easier to put it on your policy.  Any amount they put as the other drivers fault goes under "uninsured motorist" which can't increase your rates (supposedly).  This way they can ding you for the full cost.  Been there done that.

Yeah, I've been though that situation before. I'd get a lawyer if I was you, if there's valid proof that the other driver was acting reckless, because in my area speed is a factor in determining fault, I think you have a case. 

Hmm Yeah that does sound like California... always finding a way to harass. 

A lawyer could help, but they will likely still place part of the blame on your daughter.  If they say it is 50/50 it won't save much on payout and your rates will still go up.  The layer may cost more than they save you.  You can always talk to an attorney and see what they think it will cost for them to help and go from there.

That's how it works.  If you pull out in front of another car when they have the right of way, the accident is your fault.  The other driver was likely cited for their infractions, but the insurance company has no way to determine the speed of the other vehicle, and at the end of the day, pulling out in front of a car that has the right of way will always put you at fault.  

This is somewhat true, but in TX, they can assume % of fault.  In a case like this it may not be much on the other driver, but likely some.  Geico just wants to hang it on your policy and be done with it.  They are notorious for crap like that.  You get what you pay for.

You don't have to let them total it.  You have their value, ask them what salvage value is.  Have them cut you a check for the difference and never give them the title.  They can't total it that way.  You can choose to fix the car if you want.  

As for the value of the car.  Excellent condition and low miles help some, but the reality it that its just an old car and wouldn't bring much for sale in perfect condition still unless it is sought after or some rare edition.  

I'm not even a little surprised that its totaled. Its a 20 year old car that wasn't worth much of anything in good shape, low miles or not. Not trying to be a dick, its just now it is. I have several cars that would meet the same fate if they got so much as a shopping cart to the door.

Best bet is to either not take the payout or try and do a buy back if they want to keep the title clear. Salvage titles depending on state are a pain in the ass to do. YMMV

At best it needs a new strut/knuckle assembly and possibly a tie rod.

At worst the entire uni-body is rearranged which gets considerably more complicated much faster, and at that point is probably not worth it.

• Like 1

That's a serious problem with all our cars.  Same with my Camaro.  I live in fear of someone doing something stupid, and the car being damaged, because they're more than likely going to total it if there's any structural issues at all.

It's sad to think that a sufficiently motivated individual could total most of our cars using nothing more than well placed kicks with a stout boot.

EDIT:  My insurance company uses NADA average retail prices to determine the value of the car...I was pleasantly surprised to see that NADA average retail value for an '88 IROC-Z with T-tops is now up to $7100.00...slightly more than I actually paid for the car a year ago.  High retail is now $13,500.  I'm not used to owning something that's actually now on the other side of the depreciation curve. :dance:  

I'd still rather no one every hit the car...