full field test 1998 Grand Prix GT

worb4me

Yes 11.8vdc motor on. I didn't mention this started after I hit a puddle.

I still want to know how to do a full field test so I can rule out the pcm. Also need to crawl under and look it all over. Maybe the fusible link? Maybe a ground strap was already somewhat corroded and all the water made it worse? I may just change the serpentine belt and see what happens. I already got a reman alt and a new Bosch battery.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm beginning to suspect the alternator is toast, too.  I'd recommend taking it off, and having it tested.  Might as well eliminate this potential problem before you spend too much more time chasing things that might not even be bad..

You've been at this for nearly a month....it doesn't make much sense to go further until you know if the alternator is even good or not.  Once you have at least one known good thing, the troubleshooting gets a bit easier.

• Like 1

Thanks for getting back to this aging thread. I think it‘s been longer then a month dammit :).

Anyway, the problem is I until recently had no place to put it up on stands. Still haev‘t done it, and there's this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zhnFoFa8QwY

2004 Durax alternator not charging issue solved. Corrosion.

Yes I could pull the alternator and have it tested, probably will do that tonight. That is only after I put it up and look around underneath. Don't have the workshop manuals, not even sure what I'm looking for. Money is an issue. Was contemplating taking it somewhere, trying to keep a few bucks in reserve, but that's such an awful waste of money. Need to learn all this stuff if I ever want to be a master mechanic.

Neither old or new alternator produced anything. Seems unlikely they're both problematic. But who knows.

• 5 years later...