Lost sound from door speaker

sttubs

I have a 2003 Impala and have lost most of the sound from the driver's side door speaker, it is barely audible. Wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding head unit issue, amp issue, or speaker issue. What do you think would be the best way to check? This is the premium stock unit/amps/speakers.

First thing I'd suspect are the speakers. The speakers are made out of paper (not literally but a similar material). Over time they rip up or degrade and the sound is no more. That or the coil wire on the speaker itself. Every car I've had has had degraded speakers. The worst one I've seen was my 96 Infiniti. The woofer cone was completely degraded. The front door speakers were done for.

I'd swap the speakers out and see what happens.

I have something similar too, just that I get a high pitched noise randomly then the sound diminishes for a minute or so , then comes back. Speaker issue? Trying to figure where to start

Our '08 HHR started doing something similar a few weeks before a 15 year old driver rear ended and destroyed it. I found slapping the side of the console stack "fixed " it temporarily. The connections were good, so I suspected a bad solder joint in the stereo. Of course, the car was totaled before I could fix it permanently.

Speakers are not that expensive. Just get a new set. It doesn't affect originality that you don't have the crappy high impedance, paper mache speakers.

pshojo, is it the front speakers or the rear speakers?

• 3 weeks later...

Swap them as suggested. If that fixes the issue then replace those cheap paper crap speakers. Speakers are really affordable these days. Even Walmart carrier decent speakers for decent price's if your not that big into car audio.

• Like 1