02 GP Performance Shift

Grandprix1

I have seen in my gauge cluster and the DIC a performance shift light. How ever no light is there. After some research I found that it makes the tranny shift higher to intern get more HP for the GTP. Is there a way to get a kit or install something in an 02 GT to get the same effort. How much would something like that cost?

I don't think you can get it in a 2002. 2000 was the last year.

meaning there's probably still a space for it on the dash that was never used

Ok I wasn't sure when it went out. I read somewhere that when the took it out they left the system on. Probably what I will do is figure out how to get behind the cluster if it's easy enough and wire up a light and switch just for the looks and impress friends by "turning the system on" when really I'm turning a light on.

The PCM may still be capable, look at a pinout and see if it's on there. The perf tables are still there, so there should be a way to enable perf mode.

Yeah I will have to do that. It should be I do believe the PCM goes with the engine and body style for that model until they change things again. Like I said before I think I read somewhere that when they took the option away it was defaulted to have the system always on kinda like ABS brakes it's always on. Probably what I will do it wire up a switch and a light to put in the dash behind the instrument cluster where it says "Per Shift" to make it turn on.

Something tells me that i should not mess with the computer. I would not want to screw something up and not have a car at all.

• 4 months later...

Bumping this thread as im installing a ZZP PCM. How would you guys go about wiring into that pin and running the wire into the interior to a switch? Also where would you run the ground?

the information in this thread could be incorrect for you as there were a couple of different pinouts depending on the year. once you know what pin it is you can either steal one from your harness that is no longer being used or Salvage one from another harness off of an ECM connector or a transmission plug. Doesn't have to be a 3800 harness all GM vehicles for the most part had the same pins in their computer plugs from 1994 until quite a ways up

Edited by Imp558

Ok thanks guys! I think i will reprogram the PCM from ZZP in mid spring and wire for Performance shift. I think it will be much easier to flip a switch then have things different above 50% throttle

• 1 month later...

Im trying to order the shift knob from GM. We think we found one with the button. If thats the case then i will send the PCM back to ZZP to have it retuned for performance shift. Whats wrong with their tunes? I like the way mine turned out and all there stuff seems decent quality.

Truth be told the performance shift option is kinda pointless unless you just like seeing a light lit up. As long as your tune has decent transmission tables its not really an issue, it was more of a gimmick with factory tunes.

That said, If you want/need a pigtail (+/- 6" of wire) to pin into your PCM I have a bunch here leftover from a project, I'd just throw it in a envelope and send your way.

Truth be told the performance shift option is kinda pointless unless you just like seeing a light lit up. As long as your tune has decent transmission tables its not really an issue, it was more of a gimmick with factory tunes.

That said, If you want/need a pigtail (+/- 6" of wire) to pin into your PCM I have a bunch here leftover from a project, I'd just throw it in a envelope and send your way.

Ok I will post back here Friday or Saturday with what the plan is. I think I have another idea to install it with out having the shifter because it doesn't look like you can order those anymore. Is it just a simple plug in and solder the wire to the wire I'm using as a ground to go into the car?

Okay, all you need is a switch, any switch, then one side of the switch will go to the pin on the PCM and the other side of the switch will go to any piece of metal in the dash that looks sturdy. Try Del City Wire, or Waytek Wire and you will find a switch you like. Also, any time you disconnect a PCM plug you have to disconnect the battery first.

White92z34 if you still got that pig tail I think I will jump on your offer. Is it just plug and play or do you have to splice into the PCM.