97 Lumina Airbag warning light on

1979lee

my 97 luminas airbag light is on.

i have no idea how to diagnose this problem,

i've never had an airbag problem in ten years of lumina ownership.(lucky)?

my code reader picks up no codes? but the light is on?

i dont really want to drive it with the light on.

i did hear some noise under the steering wheel a few days ago clock spring broke?

ae53ad491698342.jpg

ive played around with a few at the junkyard, and it did sound similar.

Oh shoot, I misread that the thing you have pictured there is easy to swap. I did one on a caprice one time. If I remember correctly I had regret over not tying a string to the plug before pulling it up. It would have made fishing the new wire through a lot easier.

well the bastardly light is back on. seems if i leave the car in a hot(cali hot 108 deg f) parking lot,full sun.

the thing pops a airbaglite...

any ideas what to do? :nunzipalm

Ive spoken with several repair shops, like pepboys and Big o , they wont touch an airbag with a ten foot clown pole!. yes im gonna have to find a code reader.

abs code reader?  im having AIRBAG problems.

thx

found a GM TSB, problem is my vin isint covered 926XXXX

CHEVROLET - V9193493 - W9258500 (OSHAWA #1) 

======================================================================

1997 Chevrolet LUMINA  

Submodel:   | Engine Type:  V6 | Liters:  3.1

Fuel Delivery:  FI | Fuel:  GAS

AIR BAG WARNING LIGHT ON, SET DTC B1015 (REPLACE JUMPER #83-90-10 - (Jun 15, 1998)

SUBJECT: AIR BAG WARNING LIGHT ON, SETS DTC B1015 (REPLACE JUMPER HARNESS)

MODELS: 1997-98 CHEVROLET LUMINA, MONTE CARLO 1997-98 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

VIN BREAKPOINTS:

CHEVROLET - V9193493 - W9258500 (OSHAWA #1) V1143593 - W1126500 (OSHAWA #2)

PONTIAC - BUILT PRIOR TO WF293247

CONDITION:

SOME CUSTOMERS MAY COMMENT THAT THE AIR BAG WARNING LIGHT COMES ON INTERMITTENTLY OR STAYS ON. THIS CONDITION WILL ALSO SET A DTC B1015.

CAUSE:

HIGH RESISTANCE IN THE JUMPER HARNESS CONNECTORS MAY SET A DTC B1015 AND/OR ILLUMINATE THE AIR BAG WARNING LIGHT.

CORRECTION:

NEW SPECIFIC WIRING JUMPER HARNESSES HAVE BEEN RELEASED FOR BOTH VEHICLES.

PROCEDURE:

1. REMOVE THE INFLATABLE RESTRAINT INSTRUMENT PANEL MODULE FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURES IN THE SERVICE MANUAL.

2. REPLACE THE NEW JUMPER WIRING HARNESS THAT CURRENTLY CONNECTS TO THE PASSENGER INFLATOR MODULE. PREVIOUSLY, THIS WIRING HARNESS WAS PART

OF THE INFLATOR MODULE AND WAS NOT SERVICEABLE.

3. REINSTALL THE INFLATABLE RESTRAINT MODULE FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURES IN THE SERVICE MANUAL.

PARTS INFORMATION:

P/N DESCRIPTION ================== ======================================

16759102 WIRE, LEAD (I/P INFLATABLE RESTRAINT MODULE) - CHEVROLET

16758256 WIRE, LEAD (I/P INFLATABLE RESTRAINT MODULE) - PONTIAC

PARTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE AVAILABLE FROM GMSPO, 6/15/98.

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

Ha.  Someone else had mentioned ABS so my brain got stuck on that.

I think you've found the problem and while your VIN isn't covered I think it would warrant a trip to the dealer and see what they can do.  On the newer cars you typically have to reprogram the Airbag modules if you do any work to them. 

Must admit the GM use of airbags seems strange: Cad had option in '74, 90 Reatta has one, 93 GP does not.

From my gathering it seems on the lower en cars it was cost effective to have the door mounted seatbelts whereas on the higher end cars, that stunt would have xost sales.

Makes sense though I never thought of a GP as "low line". Just had it out today and "surprised" an M3. Lotsa Bimmers and Mercs around here.

Update.

Well i took out the glovebox and wiggled the airbag "YELLOW" wire and guess wht? no more light!. loose connection??? guess so,

thank you all again for your help. 

I took a few pictures under the dash, see the orangyyellowy wires. i poped off the air bag cover and it looked mint. pic came out bad but you can still make it out. and it was DUSTY  underthere! blew it out with my airgun. this was a desert aka high desert California car, that expalines the dust, in my carpet too!

bc1d33494553499.jpg 51d178494553510.jpg 0fe8bd494553521.jpg 

1979lee

Makes sense though I never thought of a GP as "low line". Just had it out today and "surprised" an M3. Lotsa Bimmers and Mercs around here.

Lower tier in the sense that it wasn't a luxury car, a sports car (not in the "muscle car sense.... even though these LQ1 cars would hardly be considered as such, they were made in the same spirit), or a bread and butter car.

I honestly don't know what they originally intended the W bodies to do since they were supposed to replace the G body coupes as the FWD A bodies were supposed to be the mid size offering. GM in the 80s had too many cars stepping on each other's toes. The J body and N body were very similar in size as were the A and W bodies.

I think the most interesting part about the situation is that GM started selling the W bodies in 1988 with the door mounted belts... 2 years before passive restraints or airbags were mandated. GM didn't bother to engineer the belts in the traditional location until 1995 and sold them like that for 2 years. The irony here being that it may have been cheaper to place the belts in their traditional location for 2 years, use the saginaw column they've always used and make most of the parts interchangeable and offer the passenger airbag in 95.  What I think is even more ironic is that there's a 75% chance that GM does use the same clockspring and airbag with only the design changing between the cars. What many W body owners may not realize is that the 2001 and 2002 Camaro use the 95-01 Lumina/Monte Carlo steering wheel and airbag and the 95+ Firebird uses the 94-96 Grand Prix steering wheel and airbag.

Also for the record, those mini quad lights that the Cutlass and Grand Prix got in 1992... Also found on the 93-97 Camaro.