Interior Odor in 90 Grand Prix with camel/tan interior

redmetrix

I've had my 90 GP SE for 4 years and since the day I bought it it's had this distinct interior odor.  It has the original tan/camel leather interior like the turbo grand prix's have.  It's not a bad smell and it's not a mildew type smell.  But it is powerful enough to be annoying and I want to do something about it.  I'm pretty sure it mostly coming from the floor carpet.  Anyone else notice this in their 90 GP or TGP with tan interior?

Leave a *Camel* in your car?   :biggrin:

about the only thing I'd suggest is to pull all the carpeting out and give it a good *steam* carpet cleaning with a proper carpet clean machine.

(that's what I do here every four years)

My TGP's just smell "clean," the only discernable scent is from the materials making up the interior and they're not unpleasant nor overly strong. I enjoy the way they smell.

It doesnt smell a bit like hot coolant does it?

Actually, yes, it does smell a bit like hot coolant.  My 93 GTP had the black cloth and that had a completely different smell but I liked the way that one smelled lol and my dad had 5 different 1st gen Luminas and those all had a similar smell to the GTP but this 90 GP has a whole different thing going on lol.  

Actually, yes, it does smell a bit like hot coolant.  My 93 GTP had the black cloth and that had a completely different smell but I liked the way that one smelled lol and my dad had 5 different 1st gen Luminas and those all had a similar smell to the GTP but this 90 GP has a whole different thing going on lol.  

alright,

well that's a bit of a different situation, the carpet isn't to blame for it's odour, if the heater core is leaking you'd notice a (slow?) drop in your coolant level, the insulated side of the carpet may be soaked, and still needs to be washed to get rid of the glycol smell.

pull up the front end, roll it back and have a good look at the bottomside.

Different cars can have different unique aromas combined with a common "car" smell such as a leaky heater core or armor all etc. You could pull out the center console and trim/core cover to expose the line going through the firewall and run it around or idle with the heater on full blast for awhile and look for leaks.

Early 1G GPs abosolutely have their own smell, and the tan and grey cars smell different.

My TGP (grey interior) smelled distinctly different from Chris' tan interior TGP.  And different from my first (tan) TGP.

• 5 weeks later...

Early 1G GPs abosolutely have their own smell, and the tan and grey cars smell different.

My TGP (grey interior) smelled distinctly different from Chris' tan interior TGP.  And different from my first (tan) TGP.ly 

Agreed.  If I come across a nice 92 or 93 graphite interior I am considering doing a full interior swap.  So if anyone has a full graphite interior out of a 92 or 93 GP I might be interested.  I think it's funny that I own three Pontiac's with leather seats and I actually prefer cloth seats.  The leather looks nice, I'll give it that  :biggrin:  Don't get me wrong I like the tan interior in the 90 GP but if I had to pick a favorite color it would be the graphite color that started in 92. That's what my 93 GTP had.

What is this "1st gen" stuff ? The first generation Grand Prix was 1962-64 (B-body), then 1965-1968 (bigger B-body), 1969-1987 (G-body), or do you mean first gen W-body (1988-1993 - 4th gen GP) ? YWTK.

What is this "1st gen" stuff ? The first generation Grand Prix was 1962-64 (B-body), then 1965-1968 (bigger B-body), 1969-1987 (G-body), or do you mean first gen W-body (1988-1993 - 4th gen GP) ? YWTK.

Seeing as how we're in the W-body realm... Yes.