Gumout - Thoughts?

Mstg007

I have a 94 3.4L that I has basic maintenance on it. It leaks here and there and has very slow acceleration. Anyways, I wanted to get your thoughts on this product. If it worth to try this out, and hopefully not mess up the engine.

Thanks for any feedback.

I`m suspect of any product autopart stores try and push on customers at the last minute for that "add on" sale, I don't even bother asking anymore unless I think it would help. Just about everyone has a "Fuel system treatment" and its all about the same thing, all made out of PEA just different percentages. If you mainly get ethanol free gas or get the 89 or 93 octane pump gas from reputable places you probably don't need it.

If the inside of your engine and fuel system is bad enough for you to think you may need it you might as well go with the best and use Techron or Marvel mystery oil. I like the MMO better because you can put it in the oil and gas tank.

The check engine light is not on, all things seem normal, just hardly any pickup. (im gonna ask the dumb question) Where can I look or check to see if it is a vacuum leak? Pretty unfamiliar with where they might be...

So as for Gumout, you would rather go with Marvel Mystery Oil? Will that do the same (kinda thing) or does it do something more and better?

Another thing, this car is not a daily driver. I just drive in it a couple times a month on weekends. Will it hurt anything leaving the MMO or Gumout in there?

Which of the dozen "Gumout" products are you talking about?  It's not like they make only one.  Starting fluid, octane booster, tune-up-in-a-can...  Could you be any less specific?

The aerosol carb cleaner works well.

So a buddy of mine got a new (to him) truck years ago. It was in really nice shape and he cleaned it, changed all the fluids and put fuel system cleaner in. Later that night it began to drip gas all along under the truck. I never found out what got eaten by that stuff but there were spots every few inches. The moral is maybe mix it a little thinner with older fuel lines.

I wouldn't mess with any additives. I personally never run additives. I do use fuel cleaners here and there but never any additives like Lucas, MMO, or Gumout.

If you feel your car is hesitant, the first thing I would suspect is the spark plugs, coils, and/or spark plug wires. I had a hesitant 3.4 and it turned out to be the coils. Swapped em out and the problem went away.

As far as the vacuum leaks go, start by looking at the vacuum diagram on the front of the car. Trace all the lines and verify that they are in good condition. After that it would be wise to spray carb cleaner or brake cleaner around the LIMG area. That's a common place for vacuum (and water) leaks.

My other question would be when's the last time the belt has been changed and was it done properly? Some people mess with the timing trying to fix another issue and end up putting the engine out of sync ever so slightly that it will run but run funny.

All gasoline sold in the USA has "additives".  Among the additives in modern gasoline is some kind of detergent.  There is a Federal minimum amount of detergent; but it's not enough.

"Top Tier" gasoline has more detergent than Federal minimum.  "Top Tier" gasoline is sold in the same octane ratings as "ordinary" gasoline, the difference is the detergent level, not the octane.  It'll be advertised on the pump as "Top Tier".

Chevron "Techron" additive-in-a-bottle, sold at many parts-stores is a gasoline detergent additive that actually works.  GM sold the same product under the AC-Delco name--and perhaps still is selling it.

Techron is what I use.  I drop a 20-ounce bottle in the tank at every oil change (about 6K miles on the Luminas)

O'Reilles is good at putting it on BOGO sales.  Sometimes Carquest, too.

Guys, I will start to check out that stuff. Hopefully its simple as a coil / spark plugs or wires to get it going. So what I am hearing, its best to replace parts then add additives (in a sense).

Yes, change out the failing parts first, you can test you spark plug wires and ignition coils with a multimeter but if they are the original coils anyways its probably good to go ahead and change them. Rockauto.com had them pretty cheap last time I was there and it really made a difference after putting them on.

and no leaving either of those in your tank for long periods of time will hurt anything, IIRC both are suppose to act a bit like Stabil and keep your fuel from going stale.

Edited by rich_e777