what cars had PM3

meltboy1

Regal, Cutlass, and Grand Prix. They're rare in those too I'm pretty sure. Maybe Matt(?) or someone else that has had a non-TGP with pm3 has a copy of their compnine info showing how many there were for that particular year/model.

Thanks all. That gives me some more hope,

Any 88-91 W with ABS. Except Lumina's, they didnt get ABS until 92

That's what I thought

Toronado ABS systems were PM3.

Far too many.

6000 STE I believe had it also.

I was unaware of those

IIRC, the Buick LeSabre those years also used the PM3.

Nice

Not exactly. It was 89-91 W cars (minus Lumina) and Oddly enough the Lotus Esprit got basically the same setup.

The 6000s and other odd cars for a variation of Teeves2 which was similar yet different.

Not exactly. It was 89-91 W cars (minus Lumina) and Oddly enough the Lotus Esprit got basically the same setup.

The 6000s and other odd cars for a variation of Teeves2 which was similar yet different.

Lotus Esprits had it all the way to the mid 90's I believe. I didn't bother naming them above because I doubt anyone runs up on one of them in a junkyard any time soon.

• Like 1

Toronado ABS systems were PM3.

Far too many.

6000 STE I believe had it also.

These weren't PMIII.  They are a Teeves unit.  Similar, but not the same.  

Update us when you get it, Jim.

The relay on my black TGP came from an Espirit. The Lotus part number is A082M6493S. There is no car more fitting for a PM3 that those things. They're cool, but utter pieces of garbage when it comes to reliability and difficult to repair. The whole car is essentially a giant damn PM3 on wheels.

These weren't PMIII.  They are a Teeves unit.  Similar, but not the same.  

Update us when you get it, Jim.

I don't think I have ever had a failed to fix a Teves unit to fix over the years. Granted I've only seen a couple so maybe they are just as bad, but still, they worked at the time I saw them, unlike every single Delco PM1, PM3, and Chrysler Bendix system I've seen. 100% fail rates on those. Chrysler/Bendix recalled their units. You can get it overhauled to this day for free at a dealer. GM just said, "Screw em, they don't need no damn brakes" when it comes to Powermasters. Instead of recalling them, they discontinued the parts for customers to fix them.

• Like 2

Pontiac-Buick-Cadillac 1986-1990 used the electro-hydraulic Teeves ABS. Starting in 91 they used a different ABS system with a conventional vacuum booster. I had a PowerMaster in my Vixen, it was just an electrohydraulic brake with no ABS &needed for diesels and also was used with turbo engines  (Grand Nationals) that typically had very low vacuum. Olds added a belt driven vacuum pump which was handy for pulling down an AC.

In the early 80s GM expected to be over 50% diesel by 1990. We all know how that worked out. Today there is a brief resurgence of diesel but doubt that it will last long, a DI/turbo gas engine has much the same performance but is considerably cheaper to build.

Edited by Padgett