Cam carrier oil mod

gambler87

Wasn't there a thread on here a while ago about doing something to the back oil holes in the cam carriers to increase oiling to the cams and the valvetrain?

Can't seem to find it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Something isn't well with the search function here. I spent a long time looking for a thread yesterday and I wouldn't have found it if I hadn't started it.

Interesting, that bulletin must have come into being after 97

from the point of from 91 thru 96

the dealership techies were instructed by GM

if any DOHC engines come in for mechanical problems (other than a timing belt) .

pull the engine & replace it.....do not pull it apart

while under warranty my engine was replaced twice by the same dealership...by the same mechanic ( being paid on a flat rate basis he wasn't very happy & came to unlike my car).. :cussing:

bulletin is dated November, 1995.

relevant to:

all 91-94 LQ1 engines and 95 1W prior to VIN breakpoint S9148603. all other 95+ engines already have this modification from the factory.

I'm not sure I even copied 'n' pasted a copy from that link.  If I did, I can't find it now.

I'd love to have an on-line source for that info.  If someone has a scan, I'd host it on my web site.

It was CLAIMED to "affect" nothing.  An annoyance.

In real life, I suspect that it would irritate the knock sensor leading to retarded timing, poor power and poor fuel mileage.  But what the hell do I know--I don't have a zillion automotive engineers at my disposal.

I do know that I performed the mod on my '93; and someday I'll do it on my '92 because it's cheap and fun and can't hurt anything as long as all the drill 'n' tap chips are removed; and the new plugs driven in securely.  The '93 didn't stop knocking; I don't think the problem ever was the lifters.  I think the problem was piston-slap all along.  So I still have my irritated knock sensor, my poor power, and my poor fuel economy.

I'm not sure I even copied 'n' pasted a copy from that link.  If I did, I can't find it now.

I'd love to have an on-line source for that info.  If someone has a scan, I'd host it on my web site.

have a preferred filetype/size limit?