Prepping for future changes

sampuppy1

2000 GP GT sedan already pulled the DRL fuse and am looking at doing some more lighting changes this year including HIDs. Problem is the headlights flash when you lock/unlock/pop trunk. Is there any way to change this setting to parking lights so I'm not eating ballasts on this thing from the short flashes? If not is there any way around it? I'm assuming this is a BCM controlled function making it possible to adjust this via a GM tech2

Next is if I install an aftermarket radio is there a module I can install to continue using the steering controls?

How does the third brake light surrounding trim come off so I can have the entire back window tinted so it looks factory? I'd start prying but I'd rather not break shit if I don't have to.

Thanks ahead of time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

On some cars the BCM has control with the relay in tandem with the switch, others the switch tells the body control module to activate the relay. If it's the first you can just cut the wire, may have to load it with a 1K resistor to prevent the BCM from popping an error.

Alldatadiy.com has schematics for sale, search "Alldatadiy coupon code" and you can get a pretty good price sometimes. The subscriptions are time sensitive so you have X amount of months (depending on subscription) to save the data to your local computer. Everything is in gif format.

I don't think I want to buy schematics for one thing. I have to get a Haynes manual for the car anyways and that has all the schematics. What's if it's the second? I'd like to get it handled before too long and if possible I'd like it to flash the parking lights.

I think the owner's manual will tell you how to program the car to not have the lights flash when you lock/unlock, etc.  I remember doing that to my old GP

Alldata also gives you torque specs, mechanical tolerance for everything, mechanical diagrams and diagnosis stuff. Haynes is to Alldata what "How Now Brown Cow" is to "War & Peace"

Haynes manuals are about useless, including the schematics. For the same price of one at Autozone you can get a year subscription to alldata. for multiple cars.

I spent less than $40 inc. shipping for the two volume factory service manual plus supplement and the two volume parts and accessories book for the GTP. Probably about $1/pound & least expensive I've ever bought. Would rather have a CD.

Anyone know if this is legitimate ?

Edited by Padgett

I think the owner's manual will tell you how to program the car to not have the lights flash when you lock/unlock, etc. I remember doing that to my old GP

I haven't checked the manual. The manual for the Mazda is about useless. Tells you how to work the radio and change the time. The rest is all dealer service intervals. They don't even tell you how much or what weight oil to use in there these days. Hell I saw some manuals that give you a Roadside service number in case you get a flat. What's the point of having a spare tire and equipment to change it if you don't include instructions??? I mean changing a tire is a cake walk for me. I can dismount and mount a semi tire with spoons while it's still on the truck. But the average Joe these days doesn't have a clue. /rant

Guess I'll go have a look see.

Alldata also gives you torque specs, mechanical tolerance for everything, mechanical diagrams and diagnosis stuff. Haynes is to Alldata what "How Now Brown Cow" is to "War & Peace"

Good comparison! I may just go for a set of factory service manuals.

I spent less than $40 inc. shipping for the two volume factory service manual plus supplement and the two volume parts and accessories book for the GTP. Probably about $1/pound & least expensive I've ever bought. Would rather have a CD.

Anyone know if this is legitimate ?

Yeah I need to get a set for the truck and car. Now that I've been in that trans I'm thinking I'll be doing all my own work. Having access to the factory manuals far surpasses Haynes. I know that. For a shade tree guy like I was, and quick reference the Haynes comes in handy. For deep work like the trans I just did I much prefer the in depth manuals. Like the atsg manual.

Stopped counting manuals long time ago. Measure in feet now. Have about 50 feet inc the factory radio, brake, and carb manuals. 93 GTP is the biggest though.

Read the rest of the owners manual. Man there's some good info in there. Makes me wish manuals these days were still set up with the same level of expected user common sense.