Help! Cutlass Speaker Question

White92Cutlass

Just bought and installed some Kenwood KFC-1095PS 220 Watt 3-way speakers in the dash of my Cutlass. Problem is that the cone in the center of the speakers sticks up about 3/4 of an inch higher than the factory dash speakers. I'm afraid that I'm going to rip it off when I re-install the dash pad. I'm sure someone here has some experience with this. Just need to know whether I need to pull the new speakers out and send them back or whether it will clear without issue. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I have experience with this from another car, I had 6x9's in the rear and when I put the stock speaker grills back on they bowed out a bit because of the center part sticking up. On my speakers that center part was surprisingly sturdy - but the problem came when I turned up the volume, the grill would vibrate on that piece and was pretty annoying.

Haven't gotten to replacing my speakers yet. But did your speakers come with adapters /spacers to compensate for depth differences? Provided the magnets will have room under them, of course. 

• 2 weeks later...

I put 50 screws in the defroster vent to fix the bowing issue (painted the screw heads black) and then reinstalled the dash. I could see that the driver's side of the dash pad cleared the speaker, but was unable to see the clearance on the passenger side. However, it seems to have cleared, there is no vibration at any volume, and it sounds great.

• Like 1