First w. First transmission undertaking. Anyone wanna help?

sampuppy1

So I just made an intro and received a very warm welcome reminding me of the other forums I spend a ton of time on. So I'd like to say thank you to the members here as well as admins for keeping a well rounded community of users.

Now onto the guts of this thread. Yesterday I believe I made a pretty good deal. Buddy bought a GP GT, 230k miles from a friend of a friend's brother on the cheap (like under $500). He was told the car ran and drive but auto didn't work. Manual gear selections functioned properly. Supposedly. So he pulled it onto his trailer, took it home and called me knowing I was looking for a new daily so I could give the old truck some much deserved tlc. He gave me the rundown (essentially the story the know nothing kid who owned it last) on what the deal was. I couldn't pass up the offer for the price. We pulled the engine and trans and I slapped down cash and got a clean title. The trans pan was dropped and we found the engagement part of the forward band laying in the pan. (at least it was easy to find that culprit)

So I decided what the heck. I paid under a grand for this thing. Why not try my hand at some trans work? I've done engine swaps, repairs, wiring and heavy duty truck repair. I'm confident enough in my abilities to be able to remove trans guts, identify problem parts and Get it back together. So I started the journey. I was gonna pay to have it repaired somewhere at first but after thinking about it I figure I have a 50/50 shot at doing this right and having a nice car for three figures or I make it worse, end up paying someone who's more experienced than myself to make it right which was my plan to begin with albeit I'll be out a few bucks worth of fluid and whatever parts I might have bought internally that couldn't be saved.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Personally given a choice, I do not tear into automagics. That said the Factory Service Manuals have excellent write-ups on transmission service from external to complete rebuild. Do you have one ? 

Barring a FSM, the ATSG manuals are very good and pretty thorough. I have a few of them for various auto's I've rebuilt. They're also inexpensive, usually $20-30.

Heck I bought the whole two volume set plus supplement in nice shape for $15 including shipping on e-Bay. Just bought the P&A also (should have next week). Nice thing about the FSM is that it describes any oddities your car may have. Mine has 85 pages of diagnosis and 88 pages of repair for the 4T60E. Just wish it was a .pdf.

I think this should do for now. If I run into any other things I need references for that I can't find I may give you a holler to see if you might rent them to me lol

I got the 4T60 PDF on eBay for about $30.  Watch a couple youtube videos on the rebuild before you tear into it to get familiar with what you're getting yourself into.  

Best option for cleaning the inside of the trans housing and internal parts of the trans? I have no access to a parts washer otherwise I wouldn't be asking. I have a solid stash of non chlorinated brake cleaner but I'm questioning it as a viable option for this.

AAAAAAND GO!

For the case and all solid/ hard parts, I've just used the garden hose and hot soapy water with Dawn, in addition to copious amounts of brake cleaner. Also, a few good stiff brushes and a wire wheel on a drill or grinder and get some of the nasty stuff off the case. It's arduous, but cleanliness is next to godliness with transmissions.

Best option for cleaning the inside of the trans housing and internal parts of the trans? I have no access to a parts washer otherwise I wouldn't be asking. I have a solid stash of non chlorinated brake cleaner but I'm questioning it as a viable option for this.

AAAAAAND GO!

Brake cleaner works well for this purpose.

I gained access to a power washer. So engine cleaner and high pressure water will be doing a majority of the work on that tomorrow. Shift kit installed tonight after work. No work tomorrow so I'm hoping to have most of this thing reassembled by the end of the day.

Sweet. Got called in to work at 530 this morning so much for cleaning. Gonna be right around freezing tonight so no cleaning just to be safe. Cracked trans housings are no bueno

• 2 weeks later...

Well if you've seen my build thread you'll know that everything worked very well. I was able to reassemble everything and get it back in the car. She's running like a champ

• Like 2

Well if you've seen my build thread you'll know that everything worked very well. I was able to reassemble everything and get it back in the car. She's running like a champ

Link?

BTW tranny fluid, at least Dextron, make a very good hand cleaner. It is really high detergent.

It is also about 20 weight oil so can be used to clean an old engine while running.

Link?

http://www.w-body.com/index.php?/topic/54810-Tyler's-00-GP-GT-daily

BTW tranny fluid, at least Dextron, make a very good hand cleaner. It is really high detergent.

It is also about 20 weight oil so can be used to clean an old engine while running.

I might try that when the 1000 mile service comes up. How long can you run it for?

Not long, like an easy gentle week. Detergents tend to become an obstruction when made too hot. They used to say substitute 1 quart of oil short term.

I might grab another cheap filter and throw a quart of dex6 in there for a hundred or so miles. I hope it cleans up as good as the 5.7 in my truck did.

• 4 weeks later...

Done did it. Hoping that cleans the system the rest of the way. Next weekend is a drain and fill with syn power and a Napa platinum.

For the case and all solid/ hard parts, I've just used the garden hose and hot soapy water with Dawn, in addition to copious amounts of brake cleaner. Also, a few good stiff brushes and a wire wheel on a drill or grinder and get some of the nasty stuff off the case. It's arduous, but cleanliness is next to godliness with transmissions.

Ammonia shouldn't touch aluminum AFAIK, but it just happens to be the best penetrant on the planet. For steel/cast iron it's no problem. I once soaked a p/s pump housing (not the pump itself) in it overnight and there was not a bit of anything left in all those little folds and whatnot. No complex parts should be dunked in ammonia, so if you're not utterly positive what you're soaking, don't use it. Perhaps also be careful w/different alloys, stainless maybe, copper-alloys, tin, pot metal, etc.

I used super clean (purple power basically but stronger) and that cut 99% of the junk off the outside with a power washer. The inside was spotless. I also soaked and blasted the engine and the engine bay so those were pretty clean. I also used that stuff with a plastic bristle brush on the wheels. I love that super clean stuff.

Ammonia shouldn't touch aluminum AFAIK, but it just happens to be the best penetrant on the planet. For steel/cast iron it's no problem. I once soaked a p/s pump housing (not the pump itself) in it overnight and there was not a bit of anything left in all those little folds and whatnot. No complex parts should be dunked in ammonia, so if you're not utterly positive what you're soaking, don't use it. Perhaps also be careful w/different alloys, stainless maybe, copper-alloys, tin, pot metal, etc.

Right. First, I've done it like this with about two dozen transmissions over the last decade (just rebuild them as a hobby, as needed for friends/ acquaintances) and all turned out great and run like champs. Second, the brake clean I use doesn't indicate to contain any ammonia; and I don't soak anything in brake clean, its mostly used for final clean of valve body parts and the like.