Electronic Climate Control solder repair

GabsOlds

I could have sworn there was a topic on how to repair the solder joints on the ECC, but I can't find it anywhere. I used the advanced search option, no dice.

The Electronic Climate Control on my 94 Cutlass Supreme convertible comes on sometimes, and other times it doesn't. Some times I have to start the car 16 times to get the ECC to come on, or just drive and freeze my feet. Does anyone have the link for the thread on repairing the solder joints? Or a quick description, please! Pictures would be great! Thank you. 

I could have sworn there was a topic on how to repair the solder joints on the ECC, but I can't find it anywhere. I used the advanced search option, no dice.

The Electronic Climate Control on my 94 Cutlass Supreme convertible comes on sometimes, and other times it doesn't. Some times I have to start the car 16 times to get the ECC to come on, or just drive and freeze my feet. Does anyone have the link for the thread on repairing the solder joints? Or a quick description, please! Pictures would be great! Thank you. 

I'm having the same problem with my 94 Cutlass as well. Been looking for a good replacement ECC, so I can try and fix the original one. So I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. 

• 1 month later...

Bump. I know I won't need it much in the summer since the top will be doww, but I need to restore all the functions on the car. Anybody done this?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, guess I'll take it out and go over every joint. Or maybe I will be able to identify the power transistor, or trace where the power wire comes in and concentrate on that area.  :shrug:

On mine, I think it was the surface mount ICs causing most of the problems.  Although mine wasn't dead, it was doing this:

I'd resolder it, but it would keep doing it.  So far, I think the permanent fix was to desolder the display, and resolder the display controller chips underneath.  Although since yours is completely dead, I'd focus on the main board.

Yea mon! I drove 63 miles one way the other day, and it stayed off. Then I went to the grocery store here in town, and heat came on. Hate it!

• 2 years later...

Well, i pulled th ECC out and tried to repair all the solder joints. It seemed to work for a while, then it started again. When i start the car, the ECC stays off, and sometimes it comes on.