Crosslace Paint code

Heartbeat1991

That's possible.  But there has to be a color code.  I'm not against powder coating them, But I need to find the right color for either paint or powder.

Good question....

mine were not painted, they were powdercoated. I was under the impression that the silver/grey wheels were the only ones painted.

the whities in yer sig? i have a set of white powdercoated Xlaces that i couldnt find if they were oem white...the only white ones i could find pictures of were white machined spoke face Petty edition rims....so ive figured they were done aftermarket but this stuffs durable....i cant get the white off.

if your white ones are truly oem...

good to hear our silver/gray alcoa's are gonna be easy to strip and work...

^ Mine I refinished to the white they are now, they were originally silver/grey, I actually did two sets for the GP, the 1st set I purchased some 15 years ago were for an H-body...16x7's, at that time I was unaware that the backset of the wheels  of the two different carlines were not the same. They would mount but rubbed on the calipers. The H wheels were gold powdercoated,  all the sandblasting in the world would not remove the coating.

^ Mine I refinished to the white they are now, they were originally silver/grey, I actually did two sets for the GP, the 1st set I purchased some 15 years ago were for an H-body...16x7's, at that time I was unaware that the backset of the wheels  of the two different carlines were not the same. They would mount but rubbed on the calipers. The H wheels were gold powdercoated,  all the sandblasting in the world would not remove the coating.

I have both blasted and chemical stripped TGP wheels with no issues.  It comes off somewhat easily.

When I stripped my X-laces I got a Paint&epoxy stripper from lowes, the small can will strip several sets of wheels near effortlessly. Harbor Freight sells some nylon wire wheels with a 1/4" shank that don't hurt the aluminium to remove any stubborn spots. They also have 1/4" shank buffing wheels that come with 2 blocks of rouge, I burned up like 6 packs of them polishing the lips and centers but they look great..

When I stripped my X-laces I got a Paint&epoxy stripper from lowes, the small can will strip several sets of wheels near effortlessly. Harbor Freight sells some nylon wire wheels with a 1/4" shank that don't hurt the aluminium to remove any stubborn spots. They also have 1/4" shank buffing wheels that come with 2 blocks of rouge, I burned up like 6 packs of them polishing the lips and centers but they look great..

I have done a set before, But I wasn't picky on the paint color match.  I sold that set to August.  He just wanted them gold.  Galen wants his as close to factory color as possible.  Getting into all the nooks and crannies is a lot of fun.

Dan:

is the paint code listed in the link what you're looking for?

I'm not sure.  I have to check into it more.  Someone commented that the GTA had a different color.  But thanks for the info.  If I find that it's close enough, I'll just go with that.

• 2 months later...

So I took a wheel down to the paint shop to try to find a match.  This was the closest thing we came up with.  The paint on the mixing stick doesn't really give as accurate a color as the steel chips they had does.  Once the wheels are painted, i'll update this post with new pics.  

post-7331-0-69104300-1460308326_thumb.jpg

post-7331-0-58994600-1460308344_thumb.jpg

post-7331-0-16012800-1460308356_thumb.jpg

Watching this too, as once I get my Stealth's modified turbos in along with other things, then the TGP begins its restoration.  About stripping the wheels, would there be an issue with buying enough stripper to fill a 18 inch or so wide tub deep enough that the front of the wheel could sit around 5 inches deep in stripper for a while?

Watching this too, as once I get my Stealth's modified turbos in along with other things, then the TGP begins its restoration.  About stripping the wheels, would there be an issue with buying enough stripper to fill a 18 inch or so wide tub deep enough that the front of the wheel could sit around 5 inches deep in stripper for a while?

You'd need a steel tub or the stripper will eat through the plastic quickly.  That would also take a lot of stripper.  It's $40/gallon.  It would smell pretty strong, and the fumes are harmful.  

• 2 months later...

So I took a wheel down to the paint shop to try to find a match.  This was the closest thing we came up with.  The paint on the mixing stick doesn't really give as accurate a color as the steel chips they had does.  Once the wheels are painted, i'll update this post with new pics.  

That looks so incredibly wrong in the can and so right on the wheels with the stick.