PEP Car?

IGotMeSomeCutty

So, my cars CD Player starting clicking, I'm now in the process as I write this disassembling it as I wrote this...

On the tip of the radios case, it reads.. Pep Lease 2981

Anyone know how to find out if this is a GM pep car, and who at GM originally drove it if it is?

*Production Evaluation Program*.......quite common here in Oshawa, Ontario (GM's plant & headquarters), almost every car sitting in the parking lot at headquarters is a PEP car. The GP we owned before our current car was a PEP car. We purchased it at a hell of a saving over what it would have cost on the lot. It's too bad my wife grew to not like the colour or we might still have it.

You would have to use the cars VIN # to search the GM database to find out where the car was originally sold (assuming that the dealership was located near a plant) and perhaps do a general history to see who the past owners were. Here all records on paper are long since gone so if the dealership didn't keep all those past records one could not just walk into the selling dealership and inquire about the car's history. But, if you find out where the car was originally sold you might be able have them do a history search on that PEP # you provided.

Is there a dealership logo on the back of the car?

something else you might try is....pull out the rear seat bottoms, the job manifest sheets were under the bottoms, if the manifest is still there it will show you which dealership was the original to order the car.

for example, this manifest is from my older GP that the wife did not want to keep....she grew to hate the Sapphire Blue, I on the other hand loved the deep metallic flake of the paint

1990%20Pontiac%20Grand%20Prix%20build%20

something else you might try is....pull out the rear seat bottoms, the job manifest sheets were under the bottoms, if the manifest is still there it will show you which dealership was the original to order the car.

for example, this manifest is from my older GP that the wife did not want to keep....she grew to hate the Sapphire Blue, I on the other hand loved the deep metallic flake of the paint

1990%20Pontiac%20Grand%20Prix%20build%20

That must have been a glorious machine

^ not uncommon to not be aware of the term,

all GM employees working in either management or on the line are familiar with the program, if one is not near a plant or you're not a GM employee you would not expect to hear the term, here in Oshawa a large # of GM cars on the street are all PEP cars. Employees have to keep the car for a minimum of 6 months, after that they are free to sell to whomsoever they choose to and often do so making money by selling at more than they paid (25% off list), that's how we picked our 90 GP, I had a close friend on the line who picked up the car just for me, the car literally sat in his garage, after the time period passed my wife & I purchased it from him at the price he paid for it ($18,000 Can), the car listed for $24,000.   

^ not uncommon to not be aware of the term,

all GM employees working in either management or on the line are familiar with the program, if one is not near a plant or you're not a GM employee you would not expect to hear the term, here in Oshawa a large # of GM cars on the street are all PEP cars. Employees have to keep the car for a minimum of 6 months,  

Wife and I bought a '92 Euro 3.4 from a dealership; the car was previously owned by the Minnesota Twins baseball team.  It was six months old, had just under 6000 miles.  The salesjerk kept calling it a "Brass Hat" car.  I asked more than once what the hell "Brass Hat" meant, and never got a satisfactory reply.

I think I just found out.

• 2 weeks later...

My Dad owned 3 or 4 PEP cars (and Van). He had a connection to one of the VP's thru my Uncle. They were all low mile/KM's cars. One was a Euro Sport, Cadillac, Astro Van with the interior made for the 1984 Olympics.

Kinger