Replacing 1989 "Split" Delco Radio With Newer Head Unit?

The Burning Rom

Just picked up an '89 TGP the other day. First '89 I've owned...owned plenty of '90 Grand Prixs. This one has the "split" head unit with the radio on the left and the EQ/tape deck on the right. I'm looking to pull it out and put in a factory delco cd unit out of a '90. Would rather have the CD. Plus, this on has some crackle in the front speakers. Could be amp, but I'll try the HU first since I want to swap it anyway. Question is, what do I need for the swap? Just the '90 HU and the '90+ heater control/radio/cubby bezel? If so, I'm good. Just wanted to ask before I ripped it all apart. Nothing more I hate than ripping it all apart and finding out I don't have the correct parts.

nobody uses cds any more I would use a 1 DIN deck that uses USB drives for mp3 playback and adjust the color to match the amber/ red interior lighting. I got a JVC deck with a detachable face and it has no cd capability at all because its obsolete

nobody uses cds any more I would use a 1 DIN deck that uses USB drives for mp3 playback and adjust the color to match the amber/ red interior lighting. I got a JVC deck with a detachable face and it has no cd capability at all because its obsolete

I actually do still use cds. Just bought two today. And I hate 1 DIN decks. They don't fit the opening properly and look out of place. I like to keep the factory look and mod the HU for an aux input. That way you can plug a device in directly or use bluetooth....no need for USB ;)

there is something to be said about the factory look. I know I can always go back to it so not worried about it for now. I like the looks of 1 din in the 1.5 opening as long as I get the lighting to match. I hate the look of it with non matching colors though, like a blue faced deck does look horrible to me in a TGP

there is something to be said about the factory look. I know I can always go back to it so not worried about it for now. I like the looks of 1 din in the 1.5 opening as long as I get the lighting to match. I hate the look of it with non matching colors though, like a blue faced deck does look horrible to me in a TGP

I agree with this to some extent. What I hate the most is the lips that some of the GM 1.5 din faceplates have. My Cutlass has that style of faceplate and it looks a bit weird compared to my Camaro whcih has the flat faceplate.

So far as I know the 89 and 90 radios should be the same. Finding a working factory CD unit might be a little tough though. I hate stock audio, but I can understand why some guys like to keep them, especially if the rest of the car is factory. I have a good TGP amp if you're interested. Ripped it out when I installed my 5 Channel Memphis amp.

not even the tgp guys know about the split radio? there is nothing to hate about the factory amped system if it works right but changing to a cd is not a factory option for 89 anyway

• 4 weeks later...

I think the only thing other than the bezel is an extension harness to be wired in as the amp for those radios are further away. I still use cassettes and cds.. ipods are a waste... lol and besides how could ya make a mix tape anyways..

with windows 7. just grab a usb 2 flash drive 8 gig stick and drag and drop mp3s on it. take a collection of files as a mix tape and plug it in the glove box.

http://www.amazon.com/10Pcs-Memory-Storage-Swivel-Design/dp/B00DXZKYTQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1442134119&sr=8-4&keywords=8+gig+flash+drive

I would just get that. and you would have 10 usb drives, 3000 songs on each one. $26.50 and done. usb 3 extreme is what I fucks with now, but these flash drives are $2.65 each.

there may be better deals, this was a quick search.