Rewiring 99 Lumina gauge to work with 95

zigtech

Ok I got this guage from a shop it came out of a 99 lumina police car and I have a 95 lumina. So I tried to plug it in and of course gas guage didn't work. I ripped them both apart to see what the difference was and I noticed that the there was a lot of open spots on the 95 like 2 chips, lot of jumpers, and the 3 block on the bottom left and one jumper for the coolent guage. I have a little of soldering experience so I filled it all the spots on the 95 board with the parts from the 99 board and had to remove three jumpers and a diode on the rpm side of the 95 so the board wouldnt think it was a coolest guage but a rpm guage. Then i took the 95 board and put it into the 99 cluster then I plugged it in and it worked surprisingly. I then wired the three wires to the wiring harness and got the digital display working even though I can't reset it or change the brightness on it. It took me about 3 hours to do it all.

Really all you had to do was repin it I think. I have a similar situation going on with a Olds digi cluster but that one is a bit more complicated because of the mileage recorded on the digi cluster.

with that series of clusters, there may be no external chip.... good chance of it all being internal to the main processor on-board. I've never seen one to confirm though.

Is there anyway to make the car think its going top speed to roll over the mileage through the vss wire? That might take awhile but its the only thing I can think of.

you would need to accumulate ~935,000 miles.... at a speed of 120MPH, that is 7,791.7 hours, or 324.65 days.

even then, it may not allow it to roll over, it could stop at 999,999 and then give an error code in place of mileage. or stop at 621,371 miles since that is 999,999km.