1997 olds w body radiator fans

scott mcfee

Hi I would like to know if anyone has rewired the radiator fans so both come on at the same time? I tried to jump the fan relays so when #1 relay came on #2 also started. I do not think I did my jumper wires from #1 to #2 correctly- has anyone done this correctly? I would also like to know if there are?/ were different size fans or fan motors for the w body. Please dont tell me why I should not do this- thank u scott

has anyone done this correctly

to do it correctly, it would have to be correct to do so in the first place.

why exactly are you looking to put excessive temporary strain on your electrical system for no apparent benefit?

Hmmmm very similar topics were recently discussed many a time...

Anyway, listen to Robert... Unless there is real purpose, you are just hurting other components.

If you were o so set on it, you mostly need to remember that the ECU controls the grounds of the relays. You did not mention how you already attempted to jump the relays. Assuming you want both fans to come on the lower temperature setting, you would want to find out which fan comes on first. You would also want to decide if you are keeping the ECU's ability to control the second fan. For that to happen, you need to add a [third] relay. If you opt to eliminate that, then you could disconnect the ground of the second fan's relay from the ECU input and connect it to the ground of the first fan's relay. Do remember the amount of draw you are placing on the wiring though. From personal experience, I can tell you that starting one fan out of the blue is enough to drop the rpms noticeably. Starting two is borderline reckless. Also, if you have AC, then it is more of a reason to not mess with it. I believe the fan that comes on first for the engine is the one that comes on second for the ac, and vice versa. So if you do the non-relay method, you could blow stuff up.

So is this for some racing application we know nothing about or just for a stock car?

Edited by vipmiller803