92 Cutlass Supreme Reservoir Engine Coolant Recovery Tank

snippits

Need a new coolant tank, or a way to clean the one I have. Can find new tanks for older model Cutlass and later model Cutlass, but I can not find a new one for a 92 Cutlass Supreme. All I can find is tank caps.

It's so dirty and stained, that I can only see the coolant level on the full hot mark. Is it worth even trying to clean it, and what is the best way to do it? If it can be cleaned, I will for dang sure put work into it to save a dollar.

Edit: Should have put this topic in General I think.

Edited by snippits

Still looking for a new old stock, and I can't find one. My Google search skills are failing me!

It's going to be hard to clean the tank because there is no straight shot from the filler to the tank, so it's going to be hard to get a brush of some sort to do any good. I read that crushed ice is probably my best bet to get some scrubbing action going.

You might be able to find one on ebay or in a junkyard. I used purple power to clean my coolant bottle and got good results. Put that stuff in and let it soak.

You might be able to find one on ebay or in a junkyard. I used purple power to clean my coolant bottle and got good results. Put that stuff in and let it soak.

Been searching Ebay for the last couple weeks, and I can't find one used or new. I am sure I could find one online from a junkyard, but it might be worse off than the one I have now.

Thanks for the tip with purple power.

I put detergent, hot water, and SAND into them. Shake the reservoir, let the sand scrub the inside of the tank. You'll need a pint of sand--or more, and don't overdo the water when you pour in the detergent. This only works if there's still a fair amount of air space in the tank--so no more than half-full, probably less. Castrol Purple works ok, as does Simple Green. Some hot water and laundry detergent would probably work. You can raid some kid's sand box, or buy a tube of sand at a home-improvement store (it'll be near the bags of concrete mix).

Of course, you'll rinse thoroughly to remove all traces of detergent, and all the sand.

Edited by Schurkey

Do you have a GM part number? I have a few places I can check.

Yes there is two part numbers, but I can't find one of them right now. GM part number: 10239079

Edited by snippits

I put detergent, hot water, and SAND into them. Shake the reservoir, let the sand scrub the inside of the tank. You'll need a pint of sand--or more, and don't overdo the water when you pour in the detergent. This only works if there's still a fair amount of air space in the tank--so no more than half-full, probably less. Castrol Purple works ok, as does Simple Green. Some hot water and laundry detergent would probably work. You can raid some kid's sand box, or buy a tube of sand at a home-improvement store (it'll be near the bags of concrete mix).

Of course, you'll rinse thoroughly to remove all traces of detergent, and all the sand.

Sand sounds like it would do the trick. Thanks for the tip!

• 1 year later...