Hello there from the Caribbean!!!!!!

turbo787

Just got my first w-body almost a week ago. It's a '99 GP se with the L32 engine option. 156K on the clock with a completly rebuilt tranny:biggrin: Got rid of my Toyota Land Cruiser and pulled the trigger on this one for $1,600. Replaced the front struts and mounts and will be doing a couple of checks on her to put her back up to snuff and hopefully do some upgrades. This car drives awesome. It reminds me so much of my last sports car!('85 IROC-Z) I had back in '99!!!! Times have changed and with a toddler and a 3mo old baby a sports car is not my best choice right now, but with this car I can play, have 4 doors, a huge trunk for the double stroller and I can upgrade!!!!! Have some sick thoughts about this car and hopefully I'll be able to do them as time progresses. Will be lurking and asking questions so please bear with me. Thanks and stay safe guys and gals...

Marcos...

Bienvenidos al foro. Que parte de Puerto Rico es usted?

BTW, I'm actually wondering how is it that your car has the L32? L32 is the supercharged 3800 S3. The 99 Grand Prix had the L67 and it was only in the GTP. The SE had the 3100.

Anyways, would like to see some pictures. American cars in PR really intrigue me.

Hey guys. Glad to be on board, thanks for the welcome. I'm from Fajardo. About the engine? Well, from what I found out on wikipedia, and what my car has is the following: these vehicles, the "se" ones came with an l26 but could be ordered with the n/a l32 that had 195hp. The l67 is the supercharged engine found on the gtp's that came with 240hp. The base "se" was stock with the 3100 v6... This is all from Wikipedia's files. The tranny is not the one found on the gtp's, it's the 4t65e but not the "hd". As soon as I figure out how to post pics will take some of the engine bay to share with you guys. Here in Puerto Rico we have a bunch of american cars...your typical kid always have their japanese cars which are mostly the Mitsubishi tecnica (mirage) and a lot of Toyota's . A lot of street racers here but I don't really associate with too many of them, I don't have the time and rather be with my family. That's the purpose if this car, to trick it out some and be able to fulfill my "sports" car itch and be able to go out and have fun with my wife and kids. This car handles pretty darn good, feels just like my old IROC!!!!! The power is good so far and has a quick pick up. It breaks both tires loose if I gun it from a dead stop, not chirping the tires but literally smoking them for a couple of feet and I love it. What part of the island are you from?

What Nas is saying is that the L32 is essentially a newer version of the L67 that didn't come out until I think 04, so if you have a stock '99 it'd have an L67, not an L32 :wink: (if it says series II it's an L67, if it says series III it's an L32)

Hey guys. Glad to be on board, thanks for the welcome. I'm from Fajardo.

Nice! I always thought if anyone from PR ever landed here they would be from San Juan or Bayamon. Your English is pretty good too btw! I know people in PR prefer to speak in Spanish than English so that's why Im making that comment.

About the engine? Well, from what I found out on wikipedia, and what my car has is the following: these vehicles, the "se" ones came with an l26 but could be ordered with the n/a l32 that had 195hp. The l67 is the supercharged engine found on the gtp's that came with 240hp. The base "se" was stock with the 3100 v6... This is all from Wikipedia's files. The tranny is not the one found on the gtp's, it's the 4t65e but not the "hd". As soon as I figure out how to post pics will take some of the engine bay to share with you guys. Here in Puerto Rico we have a bunch of american cars...your typical kid always have their japanese cars which are mostly the Mitsubishi tecnica (mirage) and a lot of Toyota's . A lot of street racers here but I don't really associate with too many of them, I don't have the time and rather be with my family. That's the purpose if this car, to trick it out some and be able to fulfill my "sports" car itch and be able to go out and have fun with my wife and kids. This car handles pretty darn good, feels just like my old IROC!!!!! The power is good so far and has a quick pick up. It breaks both tires loose if I gun it from a dead stop, not chirping the tires but literally smoking them for a couple of feet and I love it. What part of the island are you from?

Yeah, Wikipedia isn't known for its accuracy.

If yours is a 1999 model, it won't have the L32 though, that was my comment was trying to say. 1999 had 3 engines, the L82 (3100), the L36 (3800 N/A) and L67 (3800 S/C). For you to have the L32, someone had to put in there after the fact, which sounds like that's what happened, however I'm trying to figure out how did they make the PCM and the throttle work, since they were different. The L32 has electric throttle, the L67 cars were cable.

Yeah, sounds just like the mainland. Here in the mainland the local kids love their honda civics. I personally prefer muscle. I have a 2002 Camaro V6 that I swapped an engine block from a 2008 Buick, so my car has the L26 block but the L36 Camaro specific accessories.

Whats up man, I bet you can get or have some awesome sunset pics.:thumbsup:

Hers a nice link for parts if you haven't found it already.

http://shop.zzperformance.com/

Ebay for head light or tail light assemblies if you ever needed to replace them, somewhat new to a `99 GTP myself

Why lurk? we have a Whatever thread for posting all sorts of offtopic things and sometimes ask W-body related questions, feel free to dive right in. Sometimes its like a permanent chatroom when many are logged in. Often funny things are posted and several long running threads are good for laughs. There is also a Wanted/For sale section that can often generate rare items and good deals.

Hey there guys...sorry is taken me long to reply. First I want to apologize b/c I somehow mest up on the engine id and posted it was an L32 when in actuality Imeant to post L36!!!!! I was like ooops!!!!! So it is a factory L36 3.8 series 2 engine. Anyway, I have to post some pics of the beach. I was there last weekebd with the wife and kids (2yr old and a 3mo old) just splashing around for a couple of hours. My english is the way it is b/c even though I was born and raised here I have family that lives in the states, I lived there for 18yrs and was an english teacher for people trying to get their ged's. So yeah, I prefer the american muscle too. I've had Hondas, Toyotas, BMWs, you name it...But I really love the way this car feels and responds, like I said, it reminds me of the IROC-Z I had back in '99, when I was single and kids weren't a thought!!!!! How times and priorities change. But have no complaints whatsoever. I will be upgrading the look of the car soon. I want to put the gt/gtp front and rear bumpers, go duals, and some decent wheels, but after that I want to dive into the engine mods to make it just a little interesting/unsuspecting for the imports around here.😄😁 So thanks again for the welcome everyone has given me, it feels good to be a part of a great comunity. As soon as I figure how to post the pics I will do so...

Marcos...

If you have the pics on your current computer you can select the icon on the second row just under the A and smiley face, in between the planet with a red X and the film strip that looks like a box with four black square on the corners(you can hover over the icons and it will tell you what they do.:thumbsup:). Then select if the pic is on your computer or a URL, if on your computer click on basic uploader and it should pull up a window for you to browse through your Windows and select the pic from the folder its in. Sometimes it doesn't work for me and I just reload the page.

post-11943-143689185397_thumb.jpgOk...some pictures of "La Pared" in Luquillo (next town over) where I surf with the wife...we come here with the kids to splash around since it's like 15min away from my house...hope you guys enjoy!!!!! This is the weather all year round...

post-11943-143689185386_thumb.jpg

Hey there guys...sorry is taken me long to reply. First I want to apologize b/c I somehow mest up on the engine id and posted it was an L32 when in actuality Imeant to post L36!!!!! I was like ooops!!!!! So it is a factory L36 3.8 series 2 engine. Anyway, I have to post some pics of the beach. I was there last weekebd with the wife and kids (2yr old and a 3mo old) just splashing around for a couple of hours. My english is the way it is b/c even though I was born and raised here I have family that lives in the states, I lived there for 18yrs and was an english teacher for people trying to get their ged's. So yeah, I prefer the american muscle too. I've had Hondas, Toyotas, BMWs, you name it...But I really love the way this car feels and responds, like I said, it reminds me of the IROC-Z I had back in '99, when I was single and kids weren't a thought!!!!! How times and priorities change. But have no complaints whatsoever. I will be upgrading the look of the car soon. I want to put the gt/gtp front and rear bumpers, go duals, and some decent wheels, but after that I want to dive into the engine mods to make it just a little interesting/unsuspecting for the imports around here.😄😁 So thanks again for the welcome everyone has given me, it feels good to be a part of a great comunity. As soon as I figure how to post the pics I will do so...

Marcos...

Don't worry about it. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. It was just really off to me that your car had a completely different engine. I'm familiar with the L36 though. My Camaro has it...well had it, now it's a hybrid.

Interesting that you went back to PR. Most people don't want to go back lol. Anyways that's pretty good. I like the pics. Did someone break the tail light? It looks like they did on the first pic.

A lot of folks here have your body style of Grand Prix. Browse around you'll see what you can make out of your ride. With some nice wheels and a bumper upgrade, it will look sweet.

Welcome

I suggest a l67 top swap

Headers

3.6 pulley

Gmpp handeling package

Rear strut tower brace

Ssc lowering springs

18-19in wheels

And a gt/gtp bumpers/side skirt

It will be decently quick (high 13s low 14s in the 1/4 mile) and handel like its on rails

Love mine

post-3927-143689185566_thumb.jpg

Edited by jake91

Hello guys... Thnaks for the replies... Been kind of busy with work here. So yeah, the tails are broken, the plastic covering. Will be upgrading those along with the headlights too. I'm just chilling and taking care of other stuff so this is gonna be in stages. Hey Nas, I came back because I kind of missed it, went to the states when I was young, so I wanted something new. It worked out well, I met my wife and now I have two beautifull boys (2yr old and a 3mo old). Maybe eventually I might move back but to the Deltona/port orange area, we'll see what happens, still have 2.5yrs left of payments on my wife's rav4!!!!. Anyway, I've been doing research on the top swap...it all sounds nice. I want to do so many things to it!!!!! But one thing at a time young grasshopper/kimosabe I tell myself. One thing I need to see is about the dash. It is broken/lifted at the bend of the gauges. No way to fix that other than to replace the whole thing? Also need to find out where to buy the door panel clips...need new ones but will be searching ebay for that...about the wheels, what is a direct fit? I like 6 and 5 spoke designs , any backspacing issues or what not? Widest I can go? Don't really want to go bigger than 18" and maybe just stick with 17 if it might be better but can't find any threads on before and after wheel swaps on handleling, 18's or 17's? Dd, family going out to chill in style car with nice performance are my goals so any thoughts or pointing me in the right direcction is appreciated... Well guys until next time...stay safe!!!!! And was wondering if there is like a big meet get together for us gp owners? Would like to attend some if I move back to the main land 'cause I'm not leaving my car here If we move...

Marcos...

Yeah, that Puerto Rico sun made your dash FUBAR. You have to replace the whole dashpad. It's a common issue with all GM cars. All the dashes either self destruct, warp themselves or peel the vinyl covering away. Now IDK how common the GP is in PR but I could find one and arrange to have it shipped to you HOWEVER it may be a pretty penny.

Panel clips are sold at your local auto parts store. Don't know if you have Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts in PR but they would be the ones that carry most GM panel clips.

As far as wheels go, the bolt pattern is a typical size... they're 5x115, which is what GM used on all FWD applications since 86. I want to say they now use 5x110 on the new cars but don't quote me on that. The center bore is 70.3

The best direct fit wheel that actually looks sporty are the Mustang wheels. They have a 5x114.3 bolt pattern, which is almost the same as 5x115. They fit with no issues, it's rare to find a 5x114.3 wheel that won't bolt up to a 5x115 wheel but it does happen. Someone tried that with an Alero and broke off his lugnuts, but I think that was more of an issue with his BBS wheels than any other thing.

18x9s do fit on your car so you can get away with Saleen wheels on the GP

saleengtx.jpg

This car has low profile tires, but you can get away with 245/50/18s. As far as I'm concerned, that's the widest tire (245) that you can fit on em without rubbing although I've heard of people using 255 tires.

Wheel size and handling isn't much of a thing as tires and handling are. For the best handling, you want wider tires. This is why I recommend 245s. A lot of people will run 235/45 tires but I think that's too small. My Camaro came with 225/60/16 tires and it handled like ass. I upgraded them to 245/50 tires and the handling difference was pretty noticeable.

Hey Nas...thanks for the response... I fugurednI had to replace the whole thing. How bad is it to do so? Can't find anything on the tube to give me an overview. I've removed dashes before but from experience everyone of the is slightly different. Anyway, what color is the one you've got? Can you find out how much would shipping be to zip code 00738? Would like to know so I can see how I can work it out and try to get it. I still have to do a tune up, alignement and a couple of things on the gp. My fuel pump I think is going to crap out on me soon too. It's making a whining noise so I looked up on ebay and found an Ac/ delco for $50 so I think I'm gonna be getting that soon. I also hit ebay up and got the clips for the door panels for $5.86+free shipping. They're for gm, pontiac, oldsmobile, etc. If I was to go to pepboys, or advance/western auto they would be more expensive. Got to shop smart now b/c the state tax here got raised from 7% to 11.5%!!!!! Yeah, it sucks...incompetent people at government for the past few decades love to steal money and now this island is a mess...oh well...maybe in a few years my wife will finally tell me to pack up and move to florida, but let's see how everything goes... So cool, I really like those saleen wheels...isn't the 9" too wide? Think I read it somewhere that the best width was 18x8 with 245/45's? They would look sick with some arrow head centers on them!!!! Anyway buddy let me know about that dash ok? Just might pull the trigger on that. Keep in touch and stay safe...

Marcos.

Hey Nas...thanks for the response... I fugurednI had to replace the whole thing. How bad is it to do so?

Should take 2 or 3 hours, depending on your skill level. I have never taken one out of a 2nd gen car, however I have taken mine out of my 94 Cutlass to dye it. It's not hard, just frustrating because there's always hidden bolts that hold it in. Try looking up "change heater core". That might help, since you usually have to pull the dash to get to the heater core.

Can't find anything on the tube to give me an overview. I've removed dashes before but from experience everyone of the is slightly different. Anyway, what color is the one you've got? Can you find out how much would shipping be to zip code 00738? Would like to know so I can see how I can work it out and try to get it. I still have to do a tune up, alignement and a couple of things on the gp. My fuel pump I think is going to crap out on me soon too. It's making a whining noise so I looked up on ebay and found an Ac/ delco for $50 so I think I'm gonna be getting that soon. I also hit ebay up and got the clips for the door panels for $5.86+free shipping. They're for gm, pontiac, oldsmobile, etc. If I was to go to pepboys, or advance/western auto they would be more expensive.

I don't have a Grand Prix, or a dash for that matter. I can get you one if you want, I go to the junkyard a lot. I'll ask about shipping for a dash using my old Cutty dash. They should be similar in weight... if you're referring to my Camaro though, it's black. I have threads on both my cars on here, just go to my profile and hit on "threads started by this person" or however it is on my profile.

Got to shop smart now b/c the state tax here got raised from 7% to 11.5%!!!!! Yeah, it sucks...incompetent people at government for the past few decades love to steal money and now this island is a mess...oh well...maybe in a few years my wife will finally tell me to pack up and move to florida, but let's see how everything goes... So cool, I really like those saleen wheels...isn't the 9" too wide? Think I read it somewhere that the best width was 18x8 with 245/45's? They would look sick with some arrow head centers on them!!!! Anyway buddy let me know about that dash ok? Just might pull the trigger on that. Keep in touch and stay safe...

Marcos.

Hmmm that sounds just like the mainland. I'm in DC and our metro area is screwed up as hell. Tax here is 6% although we have a 10% food tax and DC has a 5 cent bag tax. It's stressful man, they always find a way to steal your money. Plus being single sucks because they take more cash away from you.

1st gen, that's true, and it's 245/50's. 245/45s are hard to find in an all weather configuration. Most of em are either summer or racing tires. You can stretch to 9 on a 2nd gen, you may have to shave some of your brake bracket away. Jake91 would be the one to talk to about it. He has 18x9 wheels on his car.

I'll let you know, just post a pic for me of your dash color. That way I know what to look for at the yard. I'll get charged $35 for the dash so the expensive part would be shipping. I'm assuming $40 to send it to PR because it's gonna be 3 or so feet long. I've been charged $15 to send amplifiers to NY from DC before so $40 to PR may be optimistic. I'll have to see if USPS will ship it, otherwise I'll ask FedEx. I hate UPS and won't bother with them. They're more expensive anyways.

Hey there buddy...thanks for helping me out with this dash...I was sooo tired last night at work that I didn't post sooner... I found a way to fix the dash, I hope... Will have to take the time to do so once I get my gixxer back on the road and will try to take pics and post it as a diy thread...hopefully it will work as good as I think it will. But on another note, man!!!!, I can't find any front lips for the "se" model!!!! Everything is either gt/gtp. There is a front valance/lip for the gt/gtp that I like but the company says it will not fit...kind of odd b/c all those bumpers are almost identical for the exception that there is like an insert on the gt/gtp that is missing on the others...but from looking at it I think it can be done w/o much of a hassle. I think it'll make the stock "se" chipmunk bumper look better instead of looking so skinny. Worst case scenario I would have to buy the other bumpers and put it on that...how much are the gt/gtp front and rear bumpers at the pick and pulls? This bug is biting and biting hard man...got to take it easy...anyway, let me see first about this dash fix I have in mind...It'll take me a bit to do b/c need to base line my bike and do some slight maintnance but will get it started and hopefully the finished product will be worth the effort and others can do the same too...:thumbsup:

Marcos