03 Grand Prix having a couple of issues, please help

dwarf797

1. The biggest issue is that occasionally it just won't start. It will act like it's going to turn over, then it won't, or it will start, runs the rpm's really low and die. If I sit for about 45 minutes, it will just start out of the blue.

The mechanic says he thinks it's the fuel pump, but he can't get it to repeat the issue anytime he has it in the shop. I have found if I keep the gas tank over 1/2 full it doesn't do it.

2. Today I had a 2nd key made for the car. I went to make sure it worked, it wouldn't start the car. (I've never had this problem with a store made key.} I started the car with my factory key, it started right up. I shut it off, used the store made key & it started right up but the Security Light came on & stayed on the entire way home. About 2 miles. When I got home I shut it off, turned it right back on with the store made key, Security Light still on. Not even 10 minutes later my daughter went to leave with the store bought key & it wouldn't work. Has anyone ever had this happen? I have never seen the Security Light come on, let alone stay on, nor had a store made key not work.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. Anyone know the best way to clean your headlight covers? Mine are getting pretty nasty & making it hard to see at night. Thanks again, Jennie.

1. Maybe not the fuel pump, but the fuel pressure regulator. I would have that changed first and go from there. A fuel pump is $200 whereas you can get the fuel pressure regulator for $20. I'd take the $20 first. It might just not have enough pressure at the injectors.

2. Not sure why that would happen. Does the security light come on when you use the original key?

3. They're not headlight covers, they're one whole unit. The easiest way is to simply replace them, but if that's not an option, then the best thing to do is get the 3m, Nulens, or the Meguars headlight restore kit with the drill bit. If anyone has a drill in your home, they can sand and polish the lenses so they aren't yellow and oxidated anymore.

Did they still have the chip in the key in 2003? You may need to have the key programmed at a dealer so it will be able to start your car. The key you got made at a hardware store might just be good for a second key for a door lock or trunk lock unless it's programmed correctly.

that sounds like a passkey issue if it indeed does have a chip in the key, i think turtlewax has a 10$ headlight restore kit that comes with a little sandpaper block that worked pretty good on one of my headlights.

There is a "chip" in the key, but the antitheft system is not the resistance based passkey 1 or 2, but the transponder based passkey 3. If you look at your known good key, you'll find a "+"

within a circle, or a "PK3" stamped into the metal shank. The key you got cut most likely is a plain key with no transponder embedded in the head. you'll need a correct key with the "chip" in it cut to your vehicle again. That is, unless you did happen to get a correct key (not sure if the hardware stores and others sell transponder keys yet), then you'll have to go through the lengthy reprogramming procedure.

that sounds like a passkey issue if it indeed does have a chip in the key, i think turtlewax has a 10$ headlight restore kit that comes with a little sandpaper block that worked pretty good on one of my headlights.

This instance of Grand Prix did away with the VATS key. The last holdout was the F bodies and the Regal/Century. Everything else transitioned to PK3, aka the recall passlock since the Cobalt thing made GM recall everything that wasn't eared.

As far as that turtle wax kit, it's okay if your headlights aren't heavily hazed, but if they are pretty bad, that turtle wax will just tickle the issue. I did that on a heavily hazed light and it barely did anything. That's when I realized what I needed was the drill operated one. So I can't recommend that product.

Off topic, but WD40 works to clear up the haziness, but it's a temp fix.

There is a "chip" in the key, but the antitheft system is not the resistance based passkey 1 or 2, but the transponder based passkey 3. If you look at your known good key, you'll find a "+"

within a circle, or a "PK3" stamped into the metal shank. The key you got cut most likely is a plain key with no transponder embedded in the head. you'll need a correct key with the "chip" in it cut to your vehicle again. That is, unless you did happen to get a correct key (not sure if the hardware stores and others sell transponder keys yet), then you'll have to go through the lengthy reprogramming procedure.

This is rather interesting to me since my old Grand Am had Passkey as well (and was known to have issues too at that) but my key didn't have the + and circle at the bottom of the key where you specify.

I looked on ebay for the blank key (they're pretty good to find the OEM keys), and it seems it the 2003 got the same style that the Regal got minus the pellet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-Strattec-2-GM-Transponder-Key-Blank-BS690552-PK3-Keyblank-Uncut-Coding-Ins-/160980039437?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2001|Model%3AGrand+Prix&hash=item257b28770d&vxp=mtr

It seems you may be talking of the 04+ key with the Pontiac logo on the key. :think:

This is rather interesting to me since my old Grand Am had Passkey as well (and was known to have issues too at that) but my key didn't have the + and circle at the bottom of the key where you specify.

I looked on ebay for the blank key (they're pretty good to find the OEM keys), and it seems it the 2003 got the same style that the Regal got minus the pellet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-Strattec-2-GM-Transponder-Key-Blank-BS690552-PK3-Keyblank-Uncut-Coding-Ins-/160980039437?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2001|Model%3AGrand+Prix&hash=item257b28770d&vxp=mtr

It seems you may be talking of the 04+ key with the Pontiac logo on the key. :think:

The Grand Am's and Regals of that era were still Passlock, but the Grand Prix (and possibly some others) started using PK3 around 2000 or so. It get's really confusing because if you had the resistor in the shank of the key, it's passkey 1 or 2, yet the same style keys (sans the resistor in the shank) were used in Regal and Grand Am (and others) as a Passlock 1 or 2 based system (hall effect sensor in the lock cylinder). This is why on those styles you can get a plain metal key cut for the ignition and it will work just fine. This includes the big head keys on 2000+ Monte Carlos, Impalas, and 99-06 GM trucks. BUT, OP's grand prix will use the small head key that looks just like your Regal/ Grand am key, except there is indeed a transponder in the rubber portion of the key.

I guarantee if OP posted a pic of his original key, there will be some PK3 or similar insignia on it.