Un-authorized login attempt blocked?

Cully77

Got an email saying someone failed to enter my password correctly 5 times, and was blocked for 15 minutes, and gave me the IP. Would it help mods if I post the IP here? Otherwise, I guess I should change my password regardless...

Got an email saying someone failed to enter my password correctly 5 times, and was blocked for 15 minutes, and gave me the IP. Would it help mods if I post the IP here? Otherwise, I guess I should change my password regardless...

Happened to me too. Traded the IP address to someone in China.

Here is what happens if you use a poor password and someone gets it: Got it in my PM today from a account registered in 2003. Last activity from it was 2005 before PM spamming today

Hi! Attention! If you still dont know about wide range of goods for auto and other branches cheaper than on eBay. Go to http://hotsale-auto.net.tf

I would assume it is safe to say that the user didn't just return after 10 years to PM spam, either way i'm taking care of the account

Use good passwords, people! It could be worse for this user if he used the same password for his email and the same attacker got it.

Please keep letting me know if this is happening. I think I have tracked down the link redirecting problem, and I'm hoping that it took care of the spamming problems too.

Updates today, posted on the Facebook group:

There is no security threat associated with the website that would do harm to your computer. These are automated bots that are trying to gain access to insecure user accounts to post spam messages. (This is why strong passwords are encouraged)

We've had a member sorting system in place for a while that moves users who have been inactive for 6 months in to a specific user group. This allows me to see the true number of active members of the forum, and in this instance, gives me the ability to disallow those inactive users to send PM's. I just made this change, so hopefully this activity slows down a little bit, as I noticed that most of the accounts compromised were old and inactive for a long time.

In my research to fix this, I've found many other forum admins who are having this exact same problem, so it's not just isolated to us, it's happening to other VB forums as well. VB has no specific fix for this at the moment, so we'll just have to be patient and try different options to alleviate the intrusions.

and

I've also just denied all access to IP addresses that do not originate from countries that would utilize our forum and it's contents. We'll see if that slows down the intrusions any.

United States, Mexico, Canada, Great Britain, and Cuba.

This COULD affect anyone who regularly use a proxy server for web access, but I can deal with those on a case by case basis.

I'm open to adding countries for any of our members who might be serving in the military overseas too.

What about the guy from Uruguay that has a W body? Nicolas Supremacy I think his name is. Is he blocked out of the site? lol

United States, Mexico, Canada, Great Britain, and Cuba.

This COULD affect anyone who regularly use a proxy server for web access, but I can deal with those on a case by case basis.

I'm open to adding countries for any of our members who might be serving in the military overseas too.

We have a few users from countries other than that. HEMI-V8 is from Germany IIRC. shurup is from Ukraine. There are about 3-4 others I can't think of at the moment as well.

We have a few users from countries other than that. HEMI-V8 is from Germany IIRC. shurup is from Ukraine. There are about 3-4 others I can't think of at the moment as well.

I already mentioned the guy from Uruguay, but there's also the guy with the Holden 3800 ute in Aussie land and I think we have a couple guys from Russia.