best way to modernize radio/music...

SilverSport

does anyone know the best way to update the sounds for a 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme???...it has the stock AM/FM/Cassette and my nephew just got it (although he has no license as yet... few months off still) and would like him to be able to hear his iPod if it is feasible

I made the mistake of asking him if he might be updating the radio to one that plays CDs and he replied he didn't really listen to CDs...I feel old :D

I think he needs to do this on the cheapest but best route he can do and I have no idea how to do this as I have not updated my radio's from stock in a long time...(I remember 8-Tracks :thumbsup:)

Any help you could provide would be appreciated...I've tried Google search as well as here but most seem to convert CD players to iPod use...

Thanks,

Bill

Most newer radios have a input for an ipod and or use Bluetooth to connect a device like an ipod or phone wire lessly..install is easy with a wire harnass adaptor that connects ardio to factory harnass without cutting, and a filler plate..best bet is to go to a best buy or something, have them explain the radios, then buy them way cheeper online and install yourself.

I happen to like the keeping it stock route personally.. My 300M has both cassette and CD and I knew that an aftermarket unit would throw the whole look of the center stack way off and make it look out of place. So I just got a cassette adapter (about $10) and plug that into my phone to listen to music. That way I don't have to stare at a gaudy aftermarket unit to get an AUX in jack, and I also didn't have to rip everything apart to wire in a hardwired AUX in jack to my factory stereo..

I have looked at some of the radios on the 'bay that seem to be the Factory type, some even having bluetooth enabled and thought this might be best (easiest) connecting as the harness would already be there but I am unsure about converting cassette to a newer CD Delco radio...

Bill

I happen to like the keeping it stock route personally.. My 300M has both cassette and CD and I knew that an aftermarket unit would throw the whole look of the center stack way off and make it look out of place. So I just got a cassette adapter (about $10) and plug that into my phone to listen to music. That way I don't have to stare at a gaudy aftermarket unit to get an AUX in jack, and I also didn't have to rip everything apart to wire in a hardwired AUX in jack to my factory stereo..

This is the best and easiest way to go. I use this route in my 95vert. Any non.factory aftermarket raido will require an adaptor to work and another adaptor to maintain steering wheel control...both easy to install as well.

thanks guys...I had been warned away from the cassette adapters as they were supposed to have poor sound quality...so they sound nice???...cool...:thumbsup:

I had checked Crutchfield and their offerings show they won't work with the steering wheel controls...

I agree on the stock 'as it came from the factory' look and your option seems to be an easy answer...thanks!

Bill

Imo a a low end pioneer or jvc or something, it'll have everything, and for a kid just getting his car and or a license, that will seem like the coolest thing

thanks again guys...I guess I didn't look far enough on the Crutchfield site...as to changing the radio...that's a good idea too...I should let him make the decision as it is his car (and he'll be paying for it)...

by the looks of the price for a cassette adapter, I could pick that up and let him save a bit for a different radio or anything else he might need...thanks for the feedback and info guys!

Bill

a cassette adapter is probably a bit better in terms of sound quality than a FM transmitter(or at least, dollar for dollar), so it isn't too bad of a route. for the couple of dollars it costs, it's worth the knowledge of knowing how acceptable it is.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VjGnHNhveqJ/learn/learningcenter/car/oem/connections_sound_quality.html

a cassette adapter is probably a bit better in terms of sound quality than a FM transmitter(or at least, dollar for dollar), so it isn't too bad of a route. for the couple of dollars it costs, it's worth the knowledge of knowing how acceptable it is.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VjGnHNhveqJ/learn/learningcenter/car/oem/connections_sound_quality.html

a great resource that I missed as well...lays it all out there...Thanks

Bill

I personally think that MY cassette adapter sounds great. Although YMMV since the 300M has a higher end factory stereo (I imagine) since I have an Infinity system with 11 speakers and factory amp. I really can't tell too much of a difference between my cassette adapter and a CD. But my system may have a lot of tech to make it sound better than the Cutlass Supreme does. IIRC I got my adapter for $10 from Wal-Mart and it has a cord that will come out and you can move the cord to different sides so it will fit your cassette player. I believe its a Phillips brand..

The problem with using a casette is that if your car had the CD player, you'll be buying a used radio for almost as much as you can get a Chinese radio that just plays bluetooth, usb and memory cards.

I personally would just set aside $80 and swap out the radio, buy the harness and dash kit on eBay (they go for $10-$15 for both instead of $20 for just one). Hell, I'd even buy the radio brand new on eBay. eBay has become a lot more like Amazon, so you have stores there selling brand new stuff.

Crutchfield is also expensive. I prefer sonicelectronix.com . I've bought from them before, they're very good.

Now I'm into car audio big time... I personally feel that's a dying breed but I'm going to be posting some things I think are worth it. Like you, I like the design of the head unit to be nice, simple and conservative so it doesn't scream "HEY LOOK AT THE BRAND NEW RADIO IN THIS OLD CAR!!".

So here's my selection. I'm trying to keep it a bit inexpensive, so they will be missing features. However, unless your son plans on getting subwofeers, I think he'll be ok.

Kenwood KMM-108U

This one doesn't play CD's and has both AUX and USB.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_75683_Kenwood-KMM-108U.html

Kenwood KDC-122U

This one is steering wheel control compatible, but doesn't look like it has the port to plug in the adapter. I'd do more research on this.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_91530_Kenwood-KDC-122U.html

JVC KD X320BTS

This one has built in bluetooth. I personally prefer bluetooth because it's the cleanest way (both visually and audible) to listen to music.l The music is usually the most clear when streamed by bluetooth. You can also get your metadata tags to display on the screen, which might seem awesome to your son.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_91866_JVC-KD-X320BTS.html

Pioneer MVH-X360BT

Now I'm not a fan of Pioneer, but this head unit has a clean design, which is unusual for a pioneer, who''s better known for offputting designs. However, my goal is to find you something that wouldn't be too extreme in design so I'll link. This one does have steering wheel controls built in, all you need is the adapter and it has bluetooth.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_74586_Pioneer-MVH-X360BT.html

Kenwood KMMBT312U

Another Kenwood. This one is by far one of my favorites, and I would recommend this if you asked what is a good radio. Kenwood and JVC have good sound drivers for their price point (Although I personally prefer Clarion or Alpine... mostly Alpine). This one is just a receiver, no CD player, however if your son gets into audio in the future, it has the possibilty for him to have a subwoofer AND a 4 channel amp for his interior speakers. It also changes color, is capable of using steering wheel controls, bluetooth, it's just a good package overall IMHO. The cheapest one I've posted is $80 or so, but for $100, I think it's better to just spend the extra $20 and get this. Plus this Kenwood would look very clean installed in the center of that Cutlass.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_91531_Kenwood-KMM-BT312U.html

There are more options available, but they start to get more expensive and well... if your son isn't going to build a sound system for the car, it's not worth purchasing an expensive radio.

You could try one of these. It would have CD, aux/ipod input, and functional steering controls. The sellers are wiring the 3.5mm input to the preamplifier inside the head unit. I've never tried one. I've always made my own input attaching a remote tape deck stashed under the seat and wiring the input to the casette player's cable's audio input circuits.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PONTIAC-CD-STEREO-DELCO-RADIO-95-02-MP3-INPUT-IPOD-Aux-Input-7-eq-/171729488893?hash=item27fbe00bfd&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-PONTIAC-CD-STEREO-RADIO-With-MP3-IPOD-AUX-INPUT-in-FACE-/141621107597?hash=item20f9469b8d&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONSOON-PONTIAC-CD-STEREO-RADIO-7-BAND-EQUAL-With-MP3-IPOD-AUX-INPUT-in-FACE-/141621107593?hash=item20f9469b89&vxp=mtr

more great choices...thanks...I had been looking a bit on the 'bay and had seen these too...appreciate the help.

Bill

If you do go with a modified stock radio, the 95-97 Cutlass doesn't use 1.5 DIN like other GM cars, they went to 2Din. Be mindful of that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

I have an older Sony cassette adapter in the Cutlass, sounds pretty good.

I did upgrade mine with a NOS AM/FM/Cassette/CD...but if he doesn't listen to CD's, that's really not going to help him much.

Thanks everyone...you guys made me a hero...it works great for now and he can hear his iPod list of music...now if only we could do something about the choice of music...:D

Edited by SilverSport