Front Strut Video

pitzel

No more needs to be said. I will be making a run for that soon.

Did you drain all of it, or half of it as the video said?

I left.a little at the bottom..not even a quarter I would say.

Did you drain all of it, or half of it as the video said?

The service manual mentioned a specific amount to leave in. The 50ml George mentioned sounds about right.

i did this about 2 years ago, i left whatever oil in there that remained. The cartridge went right in. does mean its correct just my experience. it was the first time i had changed the fronts, however they are the car's third set of front shocks so the correct amount of fluid could have already been in there. I bought the factor tools to do this job off ebay has my local auto zone/o'reilly didn't have or didn't know what i was talking about when i went in for the kit to do the job.

i did this about 2 years ago, i left whatever oil in there that remained. The cartridge went right in. does mean its correct just my experience. it was the first time i had changed the fronts, however they are the car's third set of front shocks so the correct amount of fluid could have already been in there. I bought the factor tools to do this job off ebay has my local auto zone/o'reilly didn't have or didn't know what i was talking about when i went in for the kit to do the job.

My autozone had no idea either. They said they dont carry it cause its to old..lmao... Then I gave them the part number for the kit and they had it in the back...dummies.

My autozone had no idea either. They said they dont carry it cause its to old..lmao... Then I gave them the part number for the kit and they had it in the back...dummies.

I wouldn't depend on half the morons there to find the part or to have any clue what they are talking about. I always go with the part numbers and parts list printed out off the website. Most of the guys there know me, and I won't even deal with the ones I don't know.

I wouldn't depend on half the morons there to find the part or to have any clue what they are talking about. I always go with the part numbers and parts list printed out off the website. Most of the guys there know me, and I won't even deal with the ones I don't know.

Half of the people that work retail are junkies and fuckboys anyways. I wouldn't trust them to change my wipers or my battery. They ask if I want it done, I say no, just give me the tools instead and I'll do it myself. Fuck them.

the nice thing about buying the tools, i have them they are mine, so no one can tell me they dont have them anymore lol. i just get my stuff through rockauto, GM dealers if I can, and I have a local store that i can trust but they dont have tool rentals.

I don't think it'll hurt anything if you sucked out all the fluid. Probably just reduces the risk of corrosion so it'll be easier to remove the cartridges in the future (think someone mentioned that).

I think it may also help heat transfer from what I've read. I don't know if I'd bother adding fluid back in after the fact, but if you want to, I'd think power steering fluid or ATF would work. I believe strut fluid is an oil-based hydraulic fluid.

• 2 months later...

perhaps I am the dumb, but I can't get the kit to show up on the autozone site?

a couple new sets show up on ebay, for ~$50 shipped, which seems okay, to say the least.

perhaps I am the dumb, but I can't get the kit to show up on the autozone site?

a couple new sets show up on ebay, for ~$50 shipped, which seems okay, to say the least.

They've went up in price if they're $50 shipped. I suppose I've not looked at them in a long time. I seem to recall paying $24.99 from carquest years ago...by years, I probably mean a decade. :lol: I believe the Lisle kits(any older ones) should be USA made, so that's a bonus if you care about country of origin.

OEM 27034 should be the kit autozone used to carry Robert. Their page for the kit no longer works so they probably quit stocking them - though some stores may still have it.

Edit once again: $50 shipped for the OEM kit doesn't seem like a bad price considering it includes a strut nut socket - those alone fetch a good bit of money if they're of the otc or kent moore variety.

Edited by mfewtrail

I guess i'll jump on one of those then, assuming I get paid today. I have a set of cheap Monroes on the way for the MC, they're listed as working for 1st gens, but not 1.5 cars, but I see no reason why they shouldn't work.

AFAIK, Auto Zone should still have em, just not pronounced. I know online, they're called "GM wide body tool kit". Took me a while to figure it out they messed up the spelling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

KYB says that no oil is needed because all their struts are sealed. Gabriel says to use transmission fluid in the housing, and the fluid level should be up to 3/4 of the cartridge. Could not find anything at Monroe.

KYB says that no oil is needed because all their struts are sealed. Gabriel says to use transmission fluid in the housing, and the fluid level should be up to 3/4 of the cartridge. Could not find anything at Monroe.

I recently read that in certain states, any evidence of oil leaking from a strut is an inspection failure. So if this applies to your state, then having too much oil in the well could cause in inadvertent inspection failure.

• 1 month later...