Rearview mirror with 7-pin inline connector?

GnatGoSplat

Years ago, I put a Donnelly autodim+compass+map lights mirror in the 94 Cutlass. It had a 7-pin inline connector. The autodim fluid has leaked out, making it difficult to use the mirror. Thinking to just replace it with a basic mirror with map/dome lights, but don't want to rewire it. What cars came with a basic map/dome mirror that used the 7-pin inline connector?

The closest thing to that would be a Gentex 221. The super rare only found on the Intrigue GLS mirror. You can find them in lincolns and some Sebring convertibles as well.

There are a lot of cars that came with just map lights. I have several of them here. But I don't see how you can get around rewiring it. Either way, it's just 2 wires. You can just cut the others and tuck them.

Nas, I don't care about the compass. I actually have one of the Intrigue compass+map light mirrors, but I don't want to use it because it drains power. Just looking for a basic manual-dim map light mirror.

I feel like there has to be a basic map light mirror that has the 7-pin connector. I thought at one time, it was a standard.

EDIT: Maybe this is what I need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-Trans-Am-Firebird-Camaro-Rear-View-Mirror-w-Map-Lights-LS1-WS6-Pontiac-/181567313017?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a46415479&vxp=mtr

Edited by GnatGoSplat

Nas, I don't care about the compass. I actually have one of the Intrigue compass+map light mirrors, but I don't want to use it because it drains power. Just looking for a basic manual-dim map light mirror.

I feel like there has to be a basic map light mirror that has the 7-pin connector. I thought at one time, it was a standard.

EDIT: Maybe this is what I need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-Trans-Am-Firebird-Camaro-Rear-View-Mirror-w-Map-Lights-LS1-WS6-Pontiac-/181567313017?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a46415479&vxp=mtr

Ahhh I didn't catch that.

That manual Donnelly mirror will work. You can find it in the Impala/Monte Carlo and Alero as well. They're fairly common in early to mid 2000s GM cars.

Those run through a BCM. Not sure if that makes a difference though.

The theater lights run through the BCM, it makes no difference. I have my Camaro rear view in my Cutlass Supreme. Works perfect. I also have LED bulbs in them. Sets it off real nice.

The Intrigue mirror I have, needs to run through a BCM to shut off automatically after 10-minutes. If hardwired to 12V constant (for domelight function to work, and map-lights to work with ignition off), it'll drain the battery in 3-days. Most of that is the compass display which drains power even when it's "off". On one mirror, I cut power to the display using a relay inside the mirror, but then the map light control circuits drained enough power to kill the battery in a week or two.

Do all the Gentex mirrors with electronically switched map lights drain power? Or was that just an Intrigue thing?

I assume the basic mirrors have regular mechanical switches for map lights instead of electronically controlled.

That's odd. The autodim function should be its own function, or at least that's how it was explained to me.

Yes, the mirror you're intersted in does have a manual switch. Only 3 wires are needed. Pos, GND, and the line that controls the lights itself via the switch.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a mirror from an 04 Impala from eBay for $15. Arrived with a chunk broken out of the glass so the seller gave me a full refund. Bought another out of an Alero for the same price. Plugged right in and works perfect. Fortunately, the pinouts of those basic mirrors is identical to the Donnelly and Gentex compass/maplight mirrors. Not sure that many people will want to go backwards, but it'll definitely work.

I've been wondering, are the Gentex 221 mirrors from the Lincolns electrically identical to the Intrigue one, or can the hot wire stay hooked up without any power drain?