96 lumina ls jack point?

amfa1988

Need to get the front wheels off the ground to do the brakes, problem is the pinch welds are rusted and will easily give. I've tried to find a alternate central lifting point online but haven't been successful. The whole underside is quite rusted, so where would be a safe place to jack up the car and put the jack stands? Pics or diagrams would be helpful too if anyone has them, thanks in advance

You can jack it up at the center of the subframe.

jacking.gif

This is a focus diagram, but the jack points on the W are the same. To get the whole end up, you have to jack it at the center of the subframes. The rear subframe is the IRS frame where the lateral links go and the front is basically the frame where the engine is mounted. You can jack there all day long no problems. Your problem will be placing a jackstand, but I think you can use the points in the diagram to keep it up.

Now the diagram shows the rearmost part of the frame as a jacking point, but you cause the front of the frame. Our frames look like this...

067.jpg

You can jack it on the horozontal bar that's closer to the bumper, just make sure it's centered.

front of the subframe is how I lift the front end of any w-body, the pinch welds aren't reliable in anything in this area. you end up pushing the floor up instead of the car.

just.... don't use a scissor jack to do it. stands can be done on both sides of a jack after it's up, or you could lift one side at a time if you only have one stand available, either way, I would chock the wheels and set the parking brake.

front of the subframe is how I lift the front end of any w-body

That's what I do when I have to use a floor jack as well. Even if the pinches are in 100% perfect condition, I don't like bending or crushing them with a floor jack(if it has no pinch-point adapter).

You can jack it up at the center of the subframe.

jacking.gif

This is a focus diagram, but the jack points on the W are the same. To get the whole end up, you have to jack it at the center of the subframes. The rear subframe is the IRS frame where the lateral links go and the front is basically the frame where the engine is mounted. You can jack there all day long no problems. Your problem will be placing a jackstand, but I think you can use the points in the diagram to keep it up.

Now the diagram shows the rearmost part of the frame as a jacking point, but you cause the front of the frame. Our frames look like this...

067.jpg

You can jack it on the horozontal bar that's closer to the bumper, just make sure it's centered.

Just to be clear you're saying jack from the cross member closest to the front on the subframe right? I'm assuming it would be this beam in the pic:

24czfhd.jpg

It just looks like in the diagram you posted the jack point is further back. Here's the other beam thats further back:

w9jtsm.jpg

I plan on using a piece of 2x4 to place across so the load is more evenly distributed to prevent anything from bending. Also thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it

Just to be clear you're saying jack from the cross member closest to the front on the subframe right? I'm assuming it would be this beam in the pic:

24czfhd.jpg

That's right. The diagram I posted isn't for a w, it's for a focus who's subframe is different.

You shouldnt have any problem lifting it on the front cross bar of the cradle, and no 2x4 necessary - the cradle is strong enough to be lifted from the center with a floor jack unless it's rotten, but these tend to rot at the mounts first.