Possible head gasket out in boneville!?!

Michaelrh1987

Hello. New to the forums here....

i have a 2000 Pontiac boneville ssei with about 160k miles on it. Last week water pump went out. Changed that and also changed the famous plastic elbows that go to the intake. After I changed it something happened and I never had heat inside the car. Drove it for about 15 minutes before I Relized that. Went home and shut car off. It never read that it overheated on the gauges..... Once I shut car off I could hear it boiling in the radiator. Long story short the next day when I checked oil it had coolant in it and I could tell something was wrong because when I went to go drive it and see if I had heat, the car was missing... Which was clearly my plugs fouled out. So today I started tearing into the motor. I'm a first timer on this and just took it slow and took pictures. I have a few questions. Once I got to the lower intake it looked like it was slightly cracked , the gasket that is, and I wasn't sure if that was culprit or not. Also where the coolant passes into the head was full of a red sludge and the thermostat was a sligt color of red. Not sure what this build up is inside there. Anyways I already got this far I figured I better keep going and to be on safe side check the head gaskets. I tore the front head off and the valve cover on the edges inside I could see white where coolant n oil were mixed but the rockers and everything were just normal black oil looking.... Once I got the head off the two right side cylanders were full of coolant on the top. The first once was just clean an nothing in it. I just wanna make sure that nothing else could be bad. I am going to change head gaskets and all other gaskets hen I put it back together. Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated. Also before I tore it apart the car was smoking pretty bad and I could clearly smell antifreeze coming out of exhaust. I will try to post some pictures I took along the way. Thanks everyone

The Lower Intake Manifold gaskets are famous for doing this. They're made out of plastic. You probably cracked the gasket when you had the bad water pump. if I was you, I'd replace the Lower intake manifold gaskets with metal ones instead of the plastic ones. Change your oil, flush your radiator, and add fresh fluids. The coolant/oil issue should stop after that. The H/G on the 3800 are not known to be bad, however it's better for you as a first timer to try the LIMG first than the HG. The HG is more complicated and does require torquing at an angle, and replacing the torque to yield bolts that hold the head in.

But after you have the LIM out its just a bit further to replace the Head Gaskets. Getting the torque right on the REPLACEMENT head bolts is not difficult but can be confusing unless someone shows you how, I`d take a peak at a few videos if unsure. Also once you get each head off put a straight edge on it to make sure its not warped and in need of professional reconditioning, if the engine has never overheated or come close then I doubt the heads will need further work. Just make sure ALL gasket mating surfaces are as clean and smooth as possible. Appears you are on the right track with this repair.

I agree, but I don't think a head gasket is something a novice can handle. Unless he has been around the wrench before, then if he feels capable of doing it he should, although I highly recommend that he gets a GM dealer service manual so he can have the proper steps and specs.

He's already got the head removed so he's going to have to "handle" the head gasket job at this point. Once you get the heads removed, take them to a machine shop and have them checked and resurfaced if they need it.

Michael, I've emailed you some information to reference should you need it. It will be from an email address with my username here. :thumbsup:

I handled it just fine:thumbsup: Got to start somewhere. At 160k miles its about ready for them if not leaking already, once they start it could lead to other problems and getting them done now could save the trouble later. Got one off might as well do the other, get new bolts and gaskets, for a little more work you can get at your exhaust manifold gaskets a lot easier with the engine tore down. Those are not nearly as complicate as LIM or head removal.

Thanks everyone for ur input. Think I am just gonna replace that front headgasket because I tore into it but I believe the problem was that lower intake gasket. It was cracked and I assume that is where the problem lies. That back head to remove looks like it would be terrible so I'm not gonna get into tho mess. Also thanks for that email. I will use that when I put this back together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't realize you already went that deep.

I would go ahead and get that rear bank done too. Its already there. It's not as bad as it looks. Extensions and swivel sockets are your best friend