92 4 door lumina transmission problem any help

Sanny632

Hey guys new to the forum. I have a 92 four door 3.1 lumina cream puff lol....it's pretty solid but the trans seems to not step down when slowing down. Hard for me to explain but let say I'm driving 40 mph then come up to a stop sign ect. After I stop its like in neutral...if I press the gas hard enough it will kinda slam into gear. Or if I'm driving and come up to a stop sign ect stop manually put it into netural then to drive works every time. Just extremely annoying.

Hi, Welcome to the forum. My 91 grand prix did something very similar and started happening to me a couple months after i bought it. I just brought it into the transmission shop and they said the clutch pack was completely worn down so they did that all up. I wish i knew how to more accurately describe it, if i really know anything it will be on a motor, transmissions im not as sure whats going on. Any way, what happened for me is when i would come to a stop from anything above second gear i would roll away from the stop sign like i was in neutral. I lived with the problem for a while by putting in in neutral and then back into drive really quick, which wasnt to much of a pain because the gear selector was not on the stalk and i just kept my hand on it. I got it fixed about 4 years or so ago and it has never happened again. hope i kinda helped good luck

Honestly I dont recall but i know it was not cheap, in the 1,XXX range but i got the car for a decent price, and i suppose it has paid off, but it was a gamble to put money like that into such an old car. Its your call really if you have the know how to rip apart the trans and fix it yourself then that would probably be the best option, or maybe its possible you could get a used one from the junkyard, or you could scrap the lumina, or you could get it fixed at a shop. Call around tho for sure to different shops price things out if you go that way. Goodluck :biggrin:

You could start by:

1. Check the fluid level. Top off (or drain) as needed to get to the Full mark when the engine is at idle, fully warmed-up, trans in neutral or park. Verify that fluid is at least somewhat red, not burnt-orange or brown. If the fluid level is good, you could try

2. Dropping the trans pan, changing the filter and fluid.

After that...yeah, you're probably looking at a trans overhaul because I don't think a '92 3.1L uses the 4T60E transmission which could have a stuck solenoid.

• 3 months later...
No, my 92 uses the 4T60. Used trans's are like $100 right

I bought my trans for $300. 90k out of a 95 Monte Carlo Z34.

SOME U Pull It yards charge $100-150 for a trans but you have to pull it yourself, and that would require dropping the subframe.

Ohh...haven't bought a 4t60 in 10 years, but it was only $100 with unknown miles, $150 with known typical miles. If you swap the axles, you could put a 3-speed in your 92...?

I've had the same problem with my '92 Cutlass 3.1L, 4T60, on occasion. Only happens when the car is in overdrive, not drive. I understand it revolves around the torque converter clutch not disengaging properly. Try driving in "Drive", not "Overdrive" to see if the problem goes away. I've had luck adding conditioner to the trans fluid. Also, having the trans fluid level above normal helps.

I understand it revolves around the torque converter clutch not disengaging properly.

If the TCC doesn't release, the engine dies. You don't end up with an extra "neutral", like the original poster is complaining about.

Try driving in "Drive", not "Overdrive" to see if the problem goes away.

TCC is probably active in "Drive" as well as "Overdrive". Would depend on how the trans is calibrated.

I've had luck adding conditioner to the trans fluid.

Sometimes helps. Not often.

Also, having the trans fluid level above normal helps.

Now tell him about the damage done by aerated fluid caused by having the trans overfilled.

I have posted this reply to similar threads asking about this about a dozen times. The valve body has an internal leak. I have seen this many times where you decelerate and the transmission is basically in neutral until you rev, build up some pressure and it slams into gear. Only happens when using OD and does not do it in 3. A bottle of TransX can "fix" the problem. It works every time and takes about 15-20 miles of driving to fully stop this. My old 92 lumina started doing this 12 years ago. A bottle of TranX every three years when the problem returns and it's still going and no rebuild was required. I don't own the lumina any more but know it's still running with go4damo and he is aware and has used the TransX to solve the problem himself I beleive. I have recommended the TransX to bunch of people locally and it has worked on every car. Only mechanic in a bottle that I actually am amazed with.

• 9 months later...

I have posted this reply to similar threads asking about this about a dozen times. The valve body has an internal leak. I have seen this many times where you decelerate and the transmission is basically in neutral until you rev, build up some pressure and it slams into gear. Only happens when using OD and does not do it in 3. A bottle of TransX can "fix" the problem. It works every time and takes about 15-20 miles of driving to fully stop this. My old 92 lumina started doing this 12 years ago. A bottle of TranX every three years when the problem returns and it's still going and no rebuild was required. I don't own the lumina any more but know it's still running with go4damo and he is aware and has used the TransX to solve the problem himself I beleive. I have recommended the TransX to bunch of people locally and it has worked on every car. Only mechanic in a bottle that I actually am amazed with.

I can back this up as well, Trans-X will make the flattened internal seals swell up again for awhile. I`ve used this and Lucas stop leak to keep my delayed engagement issue at bay until my other car is road read.

Don't over fill it, if it doesn't damage the trans inside it might pop your cooler lines while driving and the subsequent loss of fluid all over the road will surely cause some issues.