1. 1. What caused your car's clunk?

• Control Arms
    • Sway bar bushings
    • Motor mounts
    • Intermediate Steering Shaft
    • struts or strut mounts
    • Tie rods
    • Other (please elaborate)

So I have been trying to trace a front end clunk ever since I've had my 99 Regal and have yet to be successful at all. I realize that this is a common problem with a lot of 2nd gens so I'm starting a poll to see what the most common cause of clunking was.

It seems like it does it whenever the car is cornering and it hits a bump or something. It's more noticeable when the car has more than just one person in it. It is driving me insane!!!

So far I have replaced:

-outer tie rod ends

-all 4 struts, springs, and mounts

-all 4 motor mounts

-both front control arms with new ball joints and bushings. Did this twice, first with Moog, then with ACDelco parts thinking this was the culprit.

-front sway bar with 34mm bar and polyurethane bushings.

I have also greased the Intermediate Steering Shaft(ISS) multiple times because it seemed to help the first time.

I cheaped out on the tie rods last time so now the next thing I'm gonna do is replace all 4 tie rods with Moog problem solvers and hopefully they'll last the rest of the life of the car.

I'm contemplating replacing the subframe with an aluminum subframe and new subframe bushings. I'm also considering replacing the steering rack while I'm at it and switching out the ISS for a junkyard shaft. Any ideas?

If you had this problem on your car and fixed it, please vote what the cause was.

• 2 years later...

My 97 Lumina is doing this too. but my problem seems to be the intermediate steering shaft WHICH NOBODY MAKES anymore, including the stealership....gm part #26009452. nobody and i mean nobody has them for the older w's.

anyone know if a later model intermediate steering shaft will work?

in that video it sure looks like it will fit., mine may have gone bad because someone left the rubber boot off...the car had the gm recall done to the steering rack...maybe they left it loose?

my car has had a bad iss for years..its annoying!

any ideas?