Thinking of buying a W-body....need help

hannibal

It's been almost a decade since I bought my last w body Cutlass. What do I need to look for in regards of rust and oil / fluid leaks. I was stupid and bought a GTP a few years ago without reading up on the nightmare that is the 3.4. So I figured I should play it safe this time. Thanks.

Depends on what year Wbody you are looking at and also what engine.

They really love to rust by the gas door, strut towers and trailer arm mounts.

It's a 1990 international with a 3.1 and auto. I never really owned one with rust so its kind of foreign to me. Thanks.

I have a 90 international and I love it, not really a lot to report, couple alternators, starters, and batteries in 24 years, oh and front wheel bearings once. I love it. It may not be fast but it will be the best car ever

I had a 90 cutlass sl that lasted to 250k before it got t boned and a 90 cutlass quad 4 5 spd. I loved both of them. I wish I still had the 5 spd.

I'll be damned, didn't know the GTP could come with a 3400

huh?

It didn't.

91-96 GTPs had a 3.4l DOHC different from 3100 and 3400 engines. 3400≠3.4L

huh?

It didn't.

91-96 GTPs had a 3.4l DOHC different from 3100 and 3400 engines. 3400≠3.4L

I'm more confused now, did it or didn't it come with a 3.4L engine?

I understand this is 2 incarnations of an engine that displaces 3.4L or 3400cc. It actually makes little difference to what I was getting at, I just thought GTP always had a 3800.

The 95 I had was a PITA, OBD 1.5, leaking LIM, head gaskets went and started nickel and diming me. The 3.4 is the most horrible engine I have ever worked on.

The 95 I had was a PITA, OBD 1.5, leaking LIM, head gaskets went and started nickel and diming me. The 3.4 is the most horrible engine I have ever worked on.

I don't want a car with anything but a L36 0r L67 and a 4T65.

It's a 1990 international with a 3.1 and auto. I never really owned one with rust so its kind of foreign to me. Thanks.

Rocker panels will rust from the inside out on those, even in salt-free climates. Other than that, the LH0 is a pretty reliable engine and not that difficult to work on. Not a great performer, but it doesn't overly stress the 440T4 / 4T60 transaxle like some of the bigger motors do, and the Internationals usually have more features. That body style is a bit dated, and obviously "older" in appearance to the 1992-1997 body style, but if you can get a decent deal, I'd jump at it.