People LIFT W-Bodies?

Imp558

Really its just plain ghetto like those Oakland cars with the whistles doing side shows (look it up)

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk.

Try living there, like I do, WHOOO WHOOO. they outlawed and cracked down on that shit fast. But it is still very common to see a park ave with more ground clearance than a jeep or 4x4 truck out here.

I was at a store and next door was a stereo install place and there was a guy with a 95 regal on 26s and a guy on a step stool wiring up the trunk for subs. The owner of the regal looked a sword (my cutlass) and said "wow how did you keep it so clean?" i responded by saying, do you see everything you did there? I did none of that shit.

Edited by 2001goldGTP

I wouldn't lift it for wheels, but I did add spacers to the rear suspension to keep the rear end from sagging. I tend to have a lot of stuff in the trunk.

May have to visit that ebay store for struts and coils when the rear end wears out in a few years.

• 1 year later...

I wouldn't lift it for wheels, but I did add spacers to the rear suspension to keep the rear end from sagging. I tend to have a lot of stuff in the trunk.

May have to visit that ebay store for struts and coils when the rear end wears out in a few years.

HOW. I got that 92+ FE3 sag swaggg.

There aren't any lifted Wbodies around here. Lifted Caprices, Crown Vics, and trucks all day though.

A guy at my local Sunoco said he used limo suspension to lift his Vic

confession time: at one point, I was going to make the MC into post-apocalyptic MC with 235/75R15 off-road tires and enough suspension to keep full turning capability.

luckily, I only acquired two of the tires necessary before giving up on that route.

confession time: at one point, I was going to make the MC into post-apocalyptic MC with 235/75R15 off-road tires and enough suspension to keep full turning capability.

luckily, I only acquired two of the tires necessary before giving up on that route.

I've always wanted to do something like this. The mighty car mods mad max tribute was awesome if you ever watch it.

well, there's a new youtube subscription....

they went more than a bit beyond what I was planning. I was thinking tires/lift/flares/paint.

anti sag kit:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3844182&cc=1223121&jnid=465&jpid=6

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=202767&cc=1223121&jnid=466&jpid=0

maintenance it goes a long way lol. Just new shocks in the back of my car fixed the sag and i could get rid of the helper pads. The helpers pads make the car ride rough and handle good. after 10 years i couldn't stand them anymore.  

Been thinking that if these guys lift their cars that high the CV shafts must be at a pretty crazy angle and they don't die. that makes me wonder if we couldn't run 4T80 transmissions with shorter CV shafts and have them not die?

has the CV shaft been the issue with the few 4T80-equipped W-bodies? I've always been under the impression that the amount of room it consumes is the issue.

I assume nobody wanted to try it because of its width, the CV shafts would have to be really short. Naturally it wouldn't bolt up to anything but that's what welders are for. I'm going to watch my buddies body shop and see if he gets a transmission in that I can measure and compare to a 4T65.

has the CV shaft been the issue with the few 4T80-equipped W-bodies? I've always been under the impression that the amount of room it consumes is the issue.

CV shaft is only an issue with the narrower track width of the 1st gen W's, bearing flange to bearing flange.

yes the amount of room it consumes is a large issue. the crank to axle centerline distance on the 80e is nearly an inch farther apart than the 65e. so you end up fudging the engine forward to clear the rack. this is actually easy as its just redriling the engine mount hole locations in the engine horseshoe. trans side requires fabrication.

I assume nobody wanted to try it because of its width, the CV shafts would have to be really short. Naturally it wouldn't bolt up to anything but that's what welders are for. I'm going to watch my buddies body shop and see if he gets a transmission in that I can measure and compare to a 4T65.

they arent "really short" the trans uses identical female spline inner tulips that are only a little farther apart than the 65e, the fun part is the 80e's larger axle spline on the 80e inboard tulip as the 80e uses large cylindrical rollers where the 65e uses smaller spherical rollers. the outers use the same spline/cv as the 80e cars, but the inner is the fun part, you have to get shorter 80e axles, alante, etc from early 80e cars, and use those shafts and inners with the 2nd gen outter.

Jeff's the first to shove it in there and get it working...via an external GM diesel TCM. i figured out how to make the oem pcm control it with a simple workaround but Dave Norris (tripple edge performance) worked with tunercat to make an 80e bin that doesnt need an inverter gate on the shift solenoid.

a wealth of info here if yer bored.

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/midwest3800s/27992-4t80e-4t60-65-hd.html

Thank you so much for posting that link! That is amazing! Done deal, I'm searching for a 4T80, not even completely done with that thread and I'm stoked to do it next year.

be aware that 65e turbo parts and headers have to be modified. slp's will not clear the 80e, haven't tried tog's and I know pacesetters just need a little work to clear (basically you weld the crossover/rear y/manifold together to clear the trans with some grinding of the alum case.)

this is far from a bolt in, it requires fab work and a measure twice, cut once attitude

I weld, not good, but enough. This sounds like a fun project. I'm thinking about getting another subframe, that way I can assemble it all on the floor with new A-Arms and headers and just lower my current drivetrain out and raise the new one in. I'll do the steering rack at the same time and pick a ratio.

This is a next year project but I already have a couple guys looking for the tranny. My funds won't allow for the new engine till perhaps winter after Christmas.

• 8 months later...

Bahahahahaha I just found this old thread. Man there's some good shit in here. Around my area most of those old Monte's and stuff have some sort of candy paint. I've seen snickers, peanut m&m's, 100 grand, shit I even saw a McDonald's and Walmart themed ones. Interiors to match too. 20k in stereo equipment and a straight piped limping 305 tbi.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk