97 wiring into 96 gtp

gambler87

I have a 4t65hd and a 97 Monte Carlo wiring harness and ecu. I have heard that I can swap the wiring harness into my car but there is some repinning that needs to be done. I'm wondering what I have to do exactly to make the wiring and ecu work in my car. Thanks

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Youll need to change a couple wires at the c100(where it hooks to to the firewall). On one of my threads theres a link to 97 monte pinouts, mebbe saar or someone can line you up with pinouts for a 96 gp :)

I have a 4t65hd and a 97 Monte Carlo wiring harness and ecu. I have heard that I can swap the wiring harness into my car but there is some repinning that needs to be done. I'm wondering what I have to do exactly to make the wiring and ecu work in my car. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

So I have all the c100 pin outs for both the 97 Monte and the 96 Gtp. Can someone tell me that I need to swap. Seems like nothing matches up

Page 1 97 monte

2e9uhyvy.jpg

Page 2 97 monte

2e2u7a2u.jpg

Page 1 96 gtp

ugytu9e3.jpg

Page 2 96 gtp

etyqapyv.jpg

I have ran through the list on both pin outs, and have found that the pins that don't match

A1

A3

B1

B2

B3

C1

C2

J1

K3

L1

Thank u for the info L67ss, but does anyone else have more details about how to do this? The pins that don't match also don't go to the same thing, so switching pins doesn't work. Do I need to run both the car sod harness and the vehicles side harness to their designated places or is there something I am missing about doing this?

• 2 weeks later...

as for the air pump delete, the 97 did not come with the air pump so nothing to delete there. evap just disable it in the pcm file. a friend of mine davez34v6 did the swap many years ago 96z34 had the 97z harness and 4t65hd. then later swapped to a 5spd. he should have an account on this board you can try to pm him.

So I got the 97 motor and wiring harness into my 96 today and I found out that the 97 wiring harness doesn't have the drivers side fuse panel in the engine bay and I'm missing the two connectors that the 97s have in place of the fuse panel. If anyone knows the name/number of these connectors that would be great info so I can get pinouts for them

I have a few more questions about this wiring swap.

Where does this connector go. I can't find out what number the connector is, and I see nothing to connect it to. I also can not find a picture of a wiring harness installed in a 97 z34.4y8urasu.jpg

This four wire plug in is next to the passenger side strut tower. It is from the stock 96 Gtp not the Monte Carlo wiring harness. ydu8azy9.jpg

The first picture goes on the transmission park neutral switch. The second one appears to be the front oxygen sensor. Wire colors on that second one should be tan, purple, Black one,And either pink or brown

The the front oxygen sensor is a square plug not a flat. But thank u for the guess. The transmission is already plugged in. The wires are also not long enough to reach the transmission switch. The wiring is only about three inches from the main harness. And the connector sirs up by the drivers side strut tower and the cruise control plug in

Found out what both of them were. The first one is actually listed as the c156 connector, I googled searched it and it popped up a w-body forum thread that gpchris had the same issue. The second one from what I can see if for the downstream of sensor which the 97 harness also has the same male connector but places it down by the vss. The 96 harness runs it up next to the c100 plug and also has a male end on the car side. So tomorrow I get to unpin both sides of that connector and put the female side from the 96 harness on the car side of the wiring and then run the wire down by the vss and plug into the 97 harness there.

Thank u all for the input. Its nice to see that at least people try

So what stuff is on the C156 plug? I've never seen that used for anything but the P/N. And the other plug would usually only have 2 wires if it was an alternator, so I knew ot was O2, same place as my 96 harness. The Cruise module plug is a 10 pin Delphi weatherpack type.

This is the c156 plug in

etudataj.jpg

I totally forgot about the downstream o2 sensor. I pulled the sensor and deleted the ses light for it out of the ecu

How strange, my '96 harness has the fan relays integrated into the UEC on the front Passengers side, and it's also peculier that fan 1 is a white wire when all the other GM cars run a Green wire, we don't typically see a white wire till much later on with the advent of the fan control module, but that is labeled as "fan feed" not "fan relay control" like the blue wire. the car that donated that harness must have had a subharness that had Rear O2 and fan relays over there. I've never seen that harness before.