Wipers Park in Wrong Position

pwmin

How to fix the wipers park in upright position.

Disclaimer: I copied this from another forum in 2007 and not sure how accurate it is.

So first thing that you have to do is take off the wiper arms. To do this, remove the plastic cap and bolt from the bottom. Next you NEED to use a puller to pull the arm off the pin and disconnect the washer line. If you insist on not using a puller DO NOT TWIST THE ARM SIDE TO SIDE or you'll mess up all the little teeth inside.

Now you have to remove the cowl cover, its really brittle so be careful its just a few plastic clips. The clip that holds the cowl down unscrews with a phillips driver, don’t just rip it out like I did. The one that hold the cover under the cowl is push in. The cowl is made out of 2 pieces on certain years; you only need to take off the driver’s sidepiece. Then there's one more plastic cover under that to remove.

Now you should be able to see this, take note of the (hard to see) arrows.

If you want you could run the wipers and just watch how they work, it'll give you an idea of what’s going on. You'll see when you turn them off that brass piece just turns past the black piece its supposed to catch on. All you have to do is bend to black piece slightly so that it will catch and tighten that screw in the middle if it’s loose. I also noticed that my brass piece is kind of worn probably from snow accumulating under the wipers, its a good idea to not let any ice build up in the winter.

All you have to do now is put it back together, all my plastic clips worked fine when I put them back. Make sure that it works right before hand and remember if you ran it you'll have to put the wiper arms back on in their parked position.

704071_106_full.jpeg

• 3 years later...

Thanks Ron! This plague hit the Monte Carlo yesterday and I knew someone had to have a simple fix. And thanks to Nate I have the diagnostic procedure iff that turns out not to be the problem.

• Like 1