new guy w/92 GTP 5 speed

iron indian

Very nice looking car.

The running boards kinda through me for a loop. Can't say I've ever seen another w body with them.

LQ1 and 284 win!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-8042-143689121138_thumb.jpg

I had to search for a long time to find this exact style of wheel in the correct version. Lots for the RWD vehicles but FWD in the correct offset was very tough and even then I had to add the billet spacers in the rear to get what I considered the 'right look'. Moving those wheels to the outer of the edge of the fenders gave the car a much more aggressive look and gave thought to doing it in the front to a lesser degree as well, but that would have exaggerated the problem with the gravel chipping the paint so decided against it.

.... but for those of you who never have to contend with this problem for not much dough you can give these cars a much more aggressive look with wheel spacers.

The first picture is the best I can do in terms of trying to show the wider over all appearance from the rear, the last two give you a better sense of what the change in tail lamps and exhaust tips did for the appearance as well as the aftermarket wider spoiler which does interfer with the power attenna when all the way up, you need to put a switch in it to stop it part way up if you should do this mod

post-8042-143689121151_thumb.jpg

post-8042-143689121144_thumb.jpg

post-8042-143689121148_thumb.jpg

post-8042-143689121155_thumb.jpg

I can't imagine any place in the domesticated world that would necessitate running boards on a car :lol:

It's a shame too, because the car looks really nice otherwise.

well Jeremy you guys that are born and raised in the areas such as you are have not a clue what it is 'not' to be in such a situation.

There are millions of acres out west where as they say 'you can watch your dog run away from home for 3 days' . Now it has it disadvantages but we are 'free' to do pretty much whatever we want when we want where we want without interference from anyone and that is something to be cherished my man.

I would not trade that for all the crap that you poor urbanites are subjected to from the moment you set foot on earth to moment you take the 'big dirt nap'. You obviously need to get out some and get much further afield if you cannot envision the need for something as utillitarian as a running board in this situation, you live a far too sheltered existance by the sounds of it. Come on out and roll in the dirt a bit, it'll feel good, real good.

the odd thing about '284' equipped cars is that you had to delet what would normally be about a $600 MXO 4 speed automatic transmission from the standard equipment list and then throw another $300 dollars their way for the HD284 which in a lesser version by a different manuafacturer in just about any other car GM sold that year, would have been the standard equipment and you would have had to pay to get the MXO you just payed them $300 to ditch for you. Strange ....

I have never been able to figure that one out

Are you interested in selling the stock steering wheel if you still have it, and it's in good shape?

I have careully packed all OEM parts away in order that the next owner will be able to make the decision to return it to stock or not. The only piece that has been 'cut' in any way is where to original owner installed the control for the Pioneer stacker unit. I am in search of a standard consol in a condition that it can be restored because of that. I personally never 'cut' any part of a vehicle in the way that he did. that was his only indescretion concerning the car prior to my aquisition. The time is going to come that I am not going to have storage for this many cars so it will be up to the next guy.

thanks

well Jeremy you guys that are born and raised in the areas such as you are have not a clue what it is 'not' to be in such a situation.

There are millions of acres out west where as they say 'you can watch your dog run away from home for 3 days' . Now it has it disadvantages but we are 'free' to do pretty much whatever we want when we want where we want without interference from anyone and that is something to be cherished my man.

I would not trade that for all the crap that you poor urbanites are subjected to from the moment you set foot on earth to moment you take the 'big dirt nap'. You obviously need to get out some and get much further afield if you cannot envision the need for something as utillitarian as a running board in this situation, you live a far too sheltered existance by the sounds of it. Come on out and roll in the dirt a bit, it'll feel good, real good.

Not really sure how you think you know where/how I was grew up or what I have been exposed to or experienced simply because I don't understand that you feel there is need for tacking some shitty looking suv/truck running boards on a car. No matter where on earth you live, running boards are not a necessity for a car, just like there is no longer a need to put a vinyl bra on a car either :shrug: Both of which look like complete shit on that car, as does the huge trailer hitch and the gaudy steering wheel...it's a damn shame too, because the car has a lot of good things going for it....

Edited by jeremy

Not really sure how you think you know where/how I was grew up or what I have been exposed to or experienced simply because I don't understand that you feel there is need for tacking some shitty looking suv/truck running boards on a car. No matter where on earth you live, running boards are not a necessity for a car, just like there is no longer a need to put a vinyl bra on a car either :shrug: Both of which look like complete shit on that car, as does the huge trailer hitch and the gaudy steering wheel...it's a damn shame too, because the car has a lot of good things going for it....

apparently there is no talking to this guy ....... I can tell by the tone of your voice pretty much how you were raised, I need say no more...

post-8042-143689121162_thumb.jpgits seems my jpegs must have been too large as they did not post when I tried before,

I will try this again.

perhaps these will post, you can clearly see the difference between the factory axle inset on the LH side compared to the RH side with the 1" billet spacer installed

ignore the hitch it was a one time need to take something to my son's on the way to a Iron Indian meet in Alberta. I think you can get a sense of the much wider appearance from the first pic. Like I said for a few dollars you can give these cars a much more aggressive appearance. Particularly if you live in an urban area and are never have to contend with gravel roads then 1/2 spacers in the front to bring the front track out more would be a nice touch. You may even be able to go more but you will run into rubbing on the inner fender liners but you may well be able to live that on a car that you don't drive much.

post-8042-143689121159_thumb.jpg

post-8042-143689121165_thumb.jpg

Every one hates the running boards. (I actually like them a lot)

And I can't stand the spoiler :lol:

But then again its not my car or decision

Sent from my microwave using Tapatalk 2

post-8042-143689121174_thumb.jpg

that the best I can do as I don't have any photos any newer than about 4 or 5 years but this shows the changes that removing the OEM cross hatch tail lamps made towards smoothing out the flow of the body lines around the rear and the oval exhaust tips tucked much tighter up into the exhaust nacels has a better appearance as well

I was never sure way Pontiac chose to hang the originals so far down in the bumper facia to begin with

post-8042-143689121168_thumb.jpg

post-8042-143689121171_thumb.jpg

I thought I posted here, guess not!

Welcome, super clean car. One of my favorite colors on a GP ever. I get the running boards and the bra, you live in a rural area where pavement is virtually non-existant!! I'd do the same, maybe not by putting on running boards though.

Looks great man! I don't much care for the running board things, but consider that your GTP still has nice paint on that area in front of the rear wheels, most can't say that. let alone folks who have to bomb back roads all the time. Very nice car, glad to see another one kept nice after 21 years.

Nice ride man as everyone has said though not digging the running boards but hey if it saves the paint. Makes my miss my cutty same color and same wheels

Though you ever thought of ditching them and having the bottom of the doors and rockers wrapped with 3m clear bra