new guy w/92 GTP 5 speed

iron indian

I was just referred to this site from another GM forum by a forum member here. I am the second owner of this low mile (40K) GTP with the Getrag HD284 5 speed transmission.

General Motors 'Vintage Division' records show that only 84 of this model were imported into Canada in the 1992 production run. The cloth interior appears new unlike what a leather optioned vehicle would have done. While they made huge numbers of these I don't think many of this particular vintage have been preserved as this one has and the remainder of those that are still on the road are in the final stages of being beat to death and ultimately will be recycled.

a few modifications where carefully done in a way as not to irreversible, the popular 70/80's BBS look-alike wheels where updated and the track was widened by 2" in the rear using billet wheel spacers, the big pipes are of course a must these days and the Mic Mouse redundant multi-button steering wheel was quickly replaced with a Grant leather edition.

the original owner installed the slightly wider than what was available as an OEM rear spoiler and it definitely gives a better visual than that of the narrower GM unit which clears the power antenna when it is up, this wider after market unit does not.

I love this cars looks and the ride is not the least bit harsh yet in stays flat in the corners... great car, now if it was rated @ 315 ponies instead of 215 it would be a serious contender but hey it was 1992, that is practically the Stone Age in terms of the evolution of the performace car :~)

the running boards, well when you live rural you have to protect the body from the gravel no matter what........

post-8042-143689121057_thumb.jpg

post-8042-143689121072_thumb.jpg

post-8042-143689121078_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard w-body.com.

Nice looking car!

Rare car all around. Bright blue metallic, 284, Eagle 185's.

If you still have the OEM steering wheel, and are willing to part with it, I'd be interested in purchasing it for my bright aqua metallic 5 spd 1992 GTP.

Where are you located in Canada? I'm in Woodstock, Ont.

Clean looking car. Not a fan of the running boards, but I understand your need for them as I used to live in a rural area years ago(I won't even drive my vehicles on non-paved roads anymore :lol:).

What tail lights are those?

Earlier model GP solid tails.

What's in front of the seat adjuster switch?[/quote

the original owner installed a Pioneer CD stacker/amp unit in the trunk and that is the controller for it all

It appears that yours is indeed teal, I cannot remember what GM called the blue that my 92' is but I sometimes refer to it as an electric or neon blue

just did a quick Google , it is WA9614 Neon Blue

you know I don't remember for sure, I got them off eBay as I thought the black cross grid reminded of an old Nissan Sentra or something they built. I would have thought that they came off a 'standard' Gran Prix of that same era. When I aquired to car there were lots of them to choose from on eBay, likely less good ones now this many years later.

well one other said they are not as noticable as one might think they would be and they are an absolute neccesity given my location

I can't imagine any place in the domesticated world that would necessitate running boards on a car :lol:

It's a shame too, because the car looks really nice otherwise.