New Here, 1998 Monte ls exhaust

Bigray1111

Hey guys, THANK GOD I found this forum, i nearly ripped my hair out on the other ones haha. I recently inherited a 98 ls with only 85k on it, i drove it up to 89k and did all the maintenance that I can on it. I've done a few swaps in the past, no not Hondas, and I'm great with tools. I would like to put a muffler on here, i was thinking a dual out muffler but by the looks of the trunk that'll never happen. Another thought was a ltz exhaust and gut the mufflers, still pondering that idea. I wont mind just a single out muffler. Any thought on what I should buy? I'm looking for a deep tone, little to no rasp at all. Thanks guys!

Edited by Bigray1111

You can do a dual exhaust set up. Just need to get a dual muffler set up from a z34 or LTZ. They split after the resonator into a Y pipe. What engine does your car have?

the 3.1. Thanks for the quick reply. and the ltz isnt too long for it? i would only think this because it's a longer car. sadly i have no welder so that sucks lol.

Edited by Bigray1111

Yeah the engine sounds pretty beasty, i mean internally its like a small raccoon, but the tone from the engine sounds pretty nice. Theres an ltz at a junkyard around here thats my year. It'll bolt up no issues?

this just made my day 2x better. Hopefully the exhaust at the yard isnt cut up after the cat. if it is it probably shouldnt be hard doing a clamp. But i did have the car in the air and the flange is very rusty, im pretty sure a torch is going to be in store for this

You will need the other hanger for the other muffled from the LTZ. From what I've seen and heard others do its pretty much bolt on.

There is still the matter of welding or clamping it to the rest of your exsisting exhaust.

are you saying it'll line up, but in order to connect it i would need to weld to my cat?

You will need the other hanger for the other muffled from the LTZ. From what I've seen and heard others do its pretty much bolt on.

There is still the matter of welding or clamping it to the rest of your exsisting exhaust.

just a tip, since it could confuse in cold weather: the Z34/LTZ mufflers that have 2 outlets on each muffler only actually use one of the outlets, the other is just welded on for looks. no idea why GM went through that, but that's how it is.

No you do not have to put it on the cat. I personally would cut it after the Y. Then cut in the same spot on your car.

if the rest of your exhaust has to be replaced might as well take it as far back as you can.

Thats actually a good idea. I doubt id ever be able to get that old pipe off from the looks of it anyway. Im gonna make a trip to the yard tomorrow or thurdays hopefully, i will let you guys know!! I'll take pictures and post along the way as well. Ill probably cut the top of the muffler off, and jbweld a pipe inside going through it, i could probably keep it exposed since it wouldnt be doing anything anyway.

No you do not have to put it on the cat. I personally would cut it after the Y. Then cut in the same spot on your car.

if the rest of your exhaust has to be replaced might as well take it as far back as you can.

the 3.1. Thanks for the quick reply. and the ltz isnt too long for it? i would only think this because it's a longer car. sadly i have no welder so that sucks lol.

The LTZ isnt longer by any means... I would cut the ltz exhaust after the cat and do the same on your car and clamp it or have a shop weld it

Oh okay, I figured since it was a four door that it had some length on it. This yard I go to does cut each cat that come into there. I'm just hopeing they didn't do anything stupid to this exhaust and cut it extremely short. I'm thinking of getting it welded. But if I chose to go back to stock then I'd have to get it welded again, so a clamp is probably I store for this. I plan on using those flexible tailpipes inside the muffler because they're easy to manipulate to fix it if there is any curves. I'll just cut open the top of the muffler like a heart surgery patient.

The LTZ isnt longer by any means... I would cut the ltz exhaust after the cat and do the same on your car and clamp it or have a shop weld it

Oh okay, I figured since it was a four door that it had some length on it. This yard I go to does cut each cat that come into there. I'm just hopeing they didn't do anything stupid to this exhaust and cut it extremely short. I'm thinking of getting it welded. But if I chose to go back to stock then I'd have to get it welded again, so a clamp is probably I store for this. I plan on using those flexible tailpipes inside the muffler because they're easy to manipulate to fix it if there is any curves. I'll just cut open the top of the muffler like a heart surgery patient.

You're kind of all over the place with this post...

So basically you want to clamp in the stock exhaust and put on flexpipe for the mufflers? That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Put on some mufflers and get it welded on there because if you go with flexpipe, you're going to want to take it off within a week.

No I'm going to gut the mufflers and basically make it a muffler delete

You're kind of all over the place with this post...

So basically you want to clamp in the stock exhaust and put on flexpipe for the mufflers? That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Put on some mufflers and get it welded on there because if you go with flexpipe, you're going to want to take it off within a week.

There is no way for me to close the muffler back up after I open it. Maybe I should look for somebody to weld it shut?

If that's the case then why not just leave the muffler gutted and forget about the flex pipe?

I'm not worried about state requirements, I used to run straight pipe talons as a daily and never had an issue around here. I'll draw up a picture and post it so you guys get a clearer idea of what I'm thinking of

I agree, if you're not worried about state crap just straight pipe it, it's going to be half as much work as putting flex pipe in a muffler already after you get it cut open and gutted.