Highest Mileage W-body with original engine/trans and lim's?

1979lee

My Ole 98 lumina's getting up there in miles now (175k) with the original engine/trans and lim's never touched all original, just routine maitenece.

she runs nice still.

ive replaced the rad,alternator,p/s pump and waterpump,

and the power brake booster,harmonic balencer. plus the normal routine maitenece items.

i was just curious how many other w's have gone this far without major problems? i plan on driving this car till she dies, so i hope i can get a few more years out of it. and another 50k

i do all the work on this car myself, i dont have the cash and i just dont like other people working on MY lumina

Thanks everyone:biggrin:

Edited by 1979lee

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1979lee

• virtuetovice

• Z34guy

• Mark 97 Cutlass Coupe

AFAIK the engine in my 92 Vert was from a 92 Lumina that had appx 250K on the clock. Ive put 10K on it since I got it.

As far as history of the engine, beats me.:lol:

well, the 95 MC had a little over 185K on it when i last looked at the odometer... and i know my father has put a few miles on it since then.

it's still on it's factory LIM gaskets. factory trans as well.

My brother-in-law had a 1993 3.1 Lumina Euro. Last time I drove it it had 370,000 miles on the original EVERYTHING, with the exception of brakes, which were a continual battle. He sold it about 6 months after I last drove it, so it was somewhere south of 370K.

He drove it 80 miles round-trip to work each day for years, and was meticulous about keeping the car maintained. Last failure I can remember was really bad front wheel bearings (320,000) , and the typical dash peel around the defrost vent.

My '95 LQ1 Cutlass convertible shows 209,000 on the clock, but I did replace the LIM gaskets (twice) last year. Everything else is original, other than the timing belt/components.

Edited by Galaxie500XL

My brother-in-law had a 1993 3.1 Lumina Euro. Last time I drove it it had 370,000 miles on the original EVERYTHING, with the exception of brakes, which were a continual battle. He sold it about 6 months after I last drove it, so it was somewhere south of 370K.

He drove it 80 miles round-trip to work each day for years, and was meticulous about keeping the car maintained. Last failure I can remember was really bad front wheel bearings (320,000) , and the typical dash peel around the defrost vent.

370k NICE!!!. :dance:

Mine still runs well( KNOCK ON THE BIGGEST CHUNK OF WOOD)Ha!

anyone have a later model like 95-01 lumina with that kinda mileage?

i once saw a 95-01 ls lumina with 224k on it at a tow yard, it was for sale tew.

thanks all.

Yeah but I cheated...acquired with a blown head gasket at 190k. Later on, the radiator and A/C compressor let go right around the same time but it has been perfectly fine since then.

185k, original everything as far as I know. Runs great, very minor oil leak, and tiny leak in the LIM I need to replace sometime soon (a year maybe). Get the odd tranny code every now n then, but goes away on it's own. Usually after I have a bout of spirited driving. Will be my first 200k+ car I've owned, provided nothing goes wrong before then.

I have over 260K on the original engine/trans(3.1/4T60-E) in my 1993 Grand Prix. The lower intake gasket didn't make it all this way though, I swapped it at 230,XXX miles. I've literally seen hundreds of w-bodies surpassing the 200-300K mark w/ almost every engine/trans combo that they came with. So long as you don't drive them overly hard and you change out parts when needed, they'll pretty much all last to those mileage levels or beyond.

My 2005 Grand Prix GTP made it 210,000 before the LIMGs went. Replaced those, all was PERFECT til 213,000 when I totaled it.

Everything else except brakes, fluids, windshield, hubs, and tires were original.

Aside from headgaskets and crossover gaskets (both factory flaws) My mother's 2006 Monte Carlo is running strong at over 170,000 miles with orig engine and trans

My Cavalier has a 3.1 so I think it counts here :P. With 183,000 miles on the clock it has the original 3t40 trans (never rebuilt) and the motor has had the upper end rebuilt.

Meh, 146,000 kilometers with original powertrain, and the only gaskets that I know have been replaced are the valve cover gaskets. I don't think any others have been, but I'm not going through the file folder at this time of night to check. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Wow, so I guess my 187k km (117k mi) 1992 Cutlass Supreme has a ton of life left in it.. Good to know :). Not itching to replace it, especially since very few of the newer cars actually burn less fuel.

• 1 month later...

Mine has 230,00 original engine and trans, replaced LIM gaskets UIM and gasket at 100K, radiator, fuel pump, 2 crankshaft position sensors, 2 oil pan gaskets, outer tie rods, balls jionts,KYB struts, power steering rack at 200K I had to do this outside in January twice due to a defective rack from NAPA. Mobile1 every 5K trans fluid every 35K, I am just glad I do all of my own wrenching, It still runs and handles like a new car Lumina's are built like tanks you just have to replace a few parts here and there but they will run forever. Mine is a 98 ltz with a 3.8 all options except leather seats.

the euro is sitting at 237k as of today with original engine/trans/limg, basically everything but the WP, A/C compressor, brakes, and basic maintenance. runs perfect other than the high pressure power steering ling being blown for awhile now. wish it was not rusting to hell in the back, there is basically no rear bumper support and i dont know how long the trailing arm mounts will last (rusty, but solid atm, but the metal aroud them is geting weak, the part that sits above the actual mount to the car body) the car was driven 100+ miles/day round trip by last owner and i do 40+/day in it

the MC has 185k but has a replaced limg and a rebuilt trans, barely gets mileage now, 2 miles per day or so

Edited by 96montecarloz31

why does an intake manifold gasket make the engine somthing besides original? just curious.

from the OP:

i was just curious how many other w's have gone this far without major problems?

i imagine just for purposes of seeing how long other people's LIM gaskets have lasted.