Lumina Digital Police Cluster

cubsfan24

No lol, why would you do that? I know you have the wires there, and would need to add a switch (obviously) to make the trunk pop (if you had the acutator already installed in the trunk). more than likely you would need another toggle switch (which are cheap at RR), and you could solder some wires to the toggle switch to control with trip reset. Because think about it, if you just had one toggle switch and you tied it into the circuit board to make the trip reset work, (which it would), but if you had an actuator already installed you would be popping the trunk every time you reset the trip. If your that lazy and you dont have an actuator, then i guess "you could" but i wouldn't go that route honestly.

Edited by dodgethis

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• urbex

• RobertISaar

• dodgethis

• GnatGoSplat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I don't have an actuator, I have to go and open the trunk with the key. My car never came with it from the factory, no wire, no button, nothing. I looked for the wire when I bought the car, because I would have hooked it up, but it wasn't there.

It has nothing to do with me being lazy, I just would have rather had the clean look of no extra buttons anywhere, so I figured it would have looked all stock if I stuck with the trunk release.

Honestly, Grab you an actuator, and get you a door bell button, or a true factor switch if you so desire, and when you get the actual police cluster, try to also get the box that goes with it that sits inside the dash cubby hole. If your wanting it clean......

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I found a great deal on this cluster...but of course no cubby hole switch. Not too electrically inclined...I just hope I can figure out how to get this thing to work....

It does that, and it also is the trip/reset button...which I do use for checking gas mileage, so I'd really like to hook that up so I can still use it.

i actually looked at the diagrams as well... i'm assuming they didn't change anything throughout production, but for 1997:

i see the odometer/trip odometer wiring and the "display" switch(not sure what it does ATM) wiring, a vacuum flourescent dimmer circuit and a few other things....

looks simple enough.

got any good pics of the cubby switch?

I tired searching online...but I can't find anything that shows the switch...

It looks easy enough to get the cluster working (just solder the wires to the back of it)... Now I just need to figure out how to advance the mileage.....because I'd rather keep my mileage what it is rather than have to try and remember, but that's just me.

I see someone mentioned you can hook up the VSS wire to a computer fan... How exactly would I do that? Or someone said a 555 circuit. I have no idea how you would even use that to make it work?

easiest and cheapest way would be to setup a 555 timer in Astable mode, hook it up to the 4K PPM circuit and adjust it to the highest speed that the cluster can read and let it run until it gets to the desired mileage...

otherwise, you would need to pull whatever IC that stores the mileage, throw it in a PROM burner(maybe JTAG it), read it out, determine what bytes hold the value and adjust it to whatever.

easiest and cheapest way would be to setup a 555 timer in Astable mode, hook it up to the 4K PPM circuit and adjust it to the highest speed that the cluster can read and let it run until it gets to the desired mileage...

otherwise, you would need to pull whatever IC that stores the mileage, throw it in a PROM burner(maybe JTAG it), read it out, determine what bytes hold the value and adjust it to whatever.

Very nice... I would probably build the circuit, and do what Rob suggests. Though going the Prom route would be easier, but then you would have to add or subtract bits, (which isn't hard), but then agains its whatever is easier to you.

I'm sorry...I just really have no idea what this is. How do I setup a 555 timer? I'm so lost when it comes to electronics, I'm sorry... But I really do appreciate your help!

PROM route wouldn't be easier, because GM clusters don't typically use normally identifiable ICs to store the mileage. They're custom chips that aren't readable in any standard EPROM programmer. I think newer clusters actually have it integrated into the MCU for the cluster. You'd have to build a JTAG interface.

I see someone mentioned you can hook up the VSS wire to a computer fan... How exactly would I do that? Or someone said a 555 circuit. I have no idea how you would even use that to make it work?

To build the 555 Timer circuit, all you would need is a TR555 IC Chip (sold at Radioshack or similiar), and also get wiring, and a bread board, and then go to town. On the chip itself you would want to know where the (+V) Postive side to power the chip, and the (GND), the ground side to hook ground to.

here is a circuit layout of a typical timer chip, and a picture of the timer chip of what it looks like in real life:

post-3822-143689063655_thumb.png

post-3822-14368906366_thumb.jpg

Yeah, after googling some more, I just don't really think this is something I'm capable of doing. Looks like I'll just have the wrong mileage then....:(

Thanks though for the help guys!

for a computer fan, it will have 3 wires, 1 is the power for the fan, 1 is ground, the other is the fan "tach" signal, just hook up the "tach" signal to the VSS circuit. every time it grounds/goes high, the cluster will think it's a 4K PPM VSS signal.

also, i bring you this:

vEfAI.png

that will generate a ~240MPH signal. just feed the 555 anywhere from 5 to 15 volts and it will do it's thing all day long.

Jeeze, looks like Cubsfan and myself have started a trend ;-)

This is really not that hard of a mod if you don't care about mileage matching, and you have to figure on vehicles of this age group, not as many people are THAT worried about accurate mileage. Now if I were doing a mod like this on a 1-5 year old car, yes I would care about mileage. But my car, I figure its worth like $2000 tops, if I have to take a $1900 offer because ODO wasn't matching, so what. I also don't care because I have no plans on selling it anyways, gunna drive till the wheels fall off, lol

I wouldn't be surprised if I end up putting it in with the wrong odo. I don't plan on selling it anyways...so it was really just for me that I wanted it matching... Plus I can't figure out what the hell I'm doing electrically anyways...lol