Lumina Digital Police Cluster

cubsfan24

Can I just swap in a digital cluster and have it work without changing any wires? I was looking at the wiring diagrams and it looks like the digital cluster and the standard clusters have the same pinout on the main connector. However the digital cluster has a trip/reset switch in that cubbyhole to the left of the steering wheel. Is this module necessary for the digital cluster to function?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• urbex

• RobertISaar

• dodgethis

• GnatGoSplat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can I just swap in a digital cluster and have it work without changing any wires? I was looking at the wiring diagrams and it looks like the digital cluster and the standard clusters have the same pinout on the main connector. However the digital cluster has a trip/reset switch in that cubbyhole to the left of the steering wheel. Is this module necessary for the digital cluster to function?

it will be needed for the cluster to function, but it might be on a direct wire from the cluster?

Was looking on mymonte and sounds like you need to run a minimum of 3 wires to digital cluster specific harness. Power, Ground, and the VSS. The other wires are run to the switch in the cubbyhole to control the trip/reset ect.

Does anyone have any experience in doing this?

Took a chance and bought the cluster off of ebay for $35 shipped. The second wire harness on the cluster for the digital part should be included since you need to take the cluster apart to remove it. I just cut the connector off and soldered the power, ground, and VSS wire to back of the 32 Pin connector that all Luminas/Montes come with. This is all you have to do to make the digital cluster plug and play. I did want the trip meter/reset functional and since I was to cheap to buy the real accessory switch, I just bought a DPDT toggle switch at radio shack for a couple bucks and wired it so when I pushed the switch down I grounded the white wire from the second wire harness on the cluster (shows the trip instead of the miles), and when I pushed the switch up I grounded the white and light green wire on the second harness (resets the trip). Mounted the switch next to my trunk release under the steering wheel. Works great. Was going to advance the mileage on the cluster to my actual mileage but the cluster I bought had only 44k miles on it! It would take like 34 days to get it up to 154k miles.

• 7 months later...

I would assume, bench power the dash, and apply voltage to the VSS wire making it think the vehicle is in motion, thus "clocking" miles on the odometer. Would be a LONG process, mine I would need to clock just over 40,000 miles to catch up to actual mileage.

It's not worth it for me, I plan on driving this thing "till the wheels fall off" so, I am not worried, if I did sell I would disclose mileage isn't right, and let them know its off by 40,xxx.

EDIT: If you are going to try this, just an FYI I believe the VSS wire is AC voltage not DC, and I want to say its range is like 0 - 8 volt or something, PLEASE read service manuals before attempting. This is just from my memory, I could be completely wrong, cubsfan24, maybe you can shine some light on if my memory is right here.

Edited by 98LuminaLTZ
adding info.

4000 pulses per mile.

I've seen circuits with simple chips and transistors that people have built from scratch to create the signal. I'm sure if you do an internet search, you can probably figure out what you need to do it. Hell... I bet there is someone out there that sells such kits.

4000 pulses per mile.

I've seen circuits with simple chips and transistors that people have built from scratch to create the signal. I'm sure if you do an internet search, you can probably figure out what you need to do it. Hell... I bet there is someone out there that sells such kits.

That would make sense, I was basing my info off something I had read long ago about VSS interfacing with car audio/nav units, and people reading AC voltage with multimeters, but PWM would make more sense than just voltage and a simple meter wouldn't read the PWM signals, I just had no hard data in front of me either way. My brain doesn't work as well as it used to, lol. That said, generating PWM wouldn't be too hard with some electronics.

Edited by 98LuminaLTZ
spelling typo

Well stupid question, if you can use a pulse width modulated wave to increase the mileage, can you decrease the mileage, with the PWM wave? Say the cluster had too many miles and wanted it to match the mileage i currently have.

I used a 555 timer circuit on a breadboard to advance the mileage on the cluster in my Silverado. It's been many years, but I think that cluster was able to advance at up to 999mph, though it still took several days because my truck had much higher mileage than the cluster I installed.

You can't decrease mileage because the odometer is a counter. You could roll it over, but that would take forever. I think these clusters can go to 999,999 miles before rolling over. Not to mention, there could be some telltale indicator if it rolls over. I don't think anyone's ever gotten to a million miles to find out. An older analog odometer is easy to reset just by popping it apart to where all the digits are loose.

Damn i can't help but laugh at the idea of someone trying to progress the mileage to make it meet their old cluster, and missing it and not being able to go back. Jeese that would suck. Hell it would suck if you had 106,000 and the cluster had say 110,000, i don't know what would be easier, forward it til i flip over, or just wait 'til you get to 110,000 on your old cluster. I would like to find one, but now got to take into consideration about the mileage.

Does your light sentinal wheel dim the electric speedometer? I wasn't sure if its constantly that bright or if you could dim it. i have been looking around for one for mine.

Does your light sentinal wheel dim the electric speedometer? I wasn't sure if its constantly that bright or if you could dim it. i have been looking around for one for mine.

It doesn't in mine, though I THINK if you have the original "control box" for the digital dash there was a dim and "on/off" feature, but not having this box is why cubsfan24 and I had to solder up the power and vss wires to the back. But having never seen this "control box" I am not for sure on it having a dim feature.

While its bright enough to see in daytime, it doesn't seem that bright or distracting at night to me anyways, but not everyone's tastes are the same.

It doesn't in mine, though I THINK if you have the original "control box" for the digital dash there was a dim and "on/off" feature, but not having this box is why cubsfan24 and I had to solder up the power and vss wires to the back. But having never seen this "control box" I am not for sure on it having a dim feature.

While its bright enough to see in daytime, it doesn't seem that bright or distracting at night to me anyways, but not everyone's tastes are the same.

Understood, I'll have too look for this control box i guess, i assume there would be some way to solder up a potentiometer if one was so "needing" a variable dimmer i suppose. I am right now looking at a couple on the internets, i'll have to ask about the control box if they even offer it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I have not been on here in forever. I am glad my findings have been help full for you guys. Ya I do not have my dimming setup because the brightness does not bother me at night. I used a dual position toggle switch I got at radio shack so when I put the switch up my trip mileage displays and when I put the switch down it resets the trip. And in the middle position the cars mileage displays... Well incorrect mileage since the difference is ~110k miles. But if i can make a circuit to go 999mph then it would not take nearly as long :lol:

I wanted to add that a PC muffin fan works well as a cheap signal source too. The tach wire is grounded twice per revolution so a 2000 RPM fan would make the speedo read 60 on a 4000 pulse per mile cluster. If you use a thermally controlled fan the speed will vary with temperature.

I wanted to add that a PC muffin fan works well as a cheap signal source too. The tach wire is grounded twice per revolution so a 2000 RPM fan would make the speedo read 60 on a 4000 pulse per mile cluster. If you use a thermally controlled fan the speed will vary with temperature.

Clever! I never would have thought of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I never thought of doing this! My Grandpa used to have the digital speedo in his '95 Caprice, and when I was little I thought it was so cool! Might be something I should consider doing!

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a question for the trip reset switch... I don't have the trunk release on my Lumina, so I don't even have a button there. But, if I were to buy a panel from a junkyard, do you think I could hook the trip reset into the truck release button?