Power steering issues

WhatTheFehl

Well, just a few minutes ago, my brother and I arrived home. I had just picked him up from work. I turned to back into the parking area across the street from my house. I put the car in reverse and began turning back in the other direction to straighten the car out. The steering wheel got very stiff, it felt as if I lost all power assist. The steering didn't act up before this. It made no moaning or grinding noises when this happened. I get the car parked and pop the hood. Reservoir is full, there is no puddle underneath the path of the car. I start it back up and turn the wheel back and fourth while my brother watches the steering pump. Wheel is equally stiff the whole time. He said the pulley is turning and there's no fluid shooting out. So does anyone know what the issue might be?

The only problem I've had with the steering previously was in the winter, the pump moaned and squealed like a banshee until it warmed up. It never was abnormally stiff or losing any fluid whatsoever. Not long before it got cold, I drained the fluid out of the reservoir and replaced it with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak, hoping that its conditioning properties would prevent any headaches in the near future.

alldata says(assuming you have no other odd steering issues)

hard steering

bind or catch in steering gear; check for correct rack bearing preload and for steering gear damage; adjust and/or replace

low fluid; excessive internal leakage of steering components

steering gear loose: torque mounting bolts to specs.

intermediate bolt shaft torque too high, torque to specs.

assuming nothing odd happened immediateky prior, i would look toward steering gear loose.

i would say the rack is on its way out. been there done that. IDK what years but the rack and pinion were recalled I dont think 95 was in it though just 96 and 97

so you are SURE its not leaking fluid? if not I suppose the pump may have ate itself.

that should have been a more gradual loss, but yeah, possible...

Just seen the pump was not shooting fluid so i would venture to say rack is probably fine. Check the pump. i might have one from a 3100 you could have free just cover shipping i know one of the 3100's i have a pump on it that was known good.

I might take you up on that offer Anthony. There is no puddle under the car, reservoir full. Actually BEFORE I left to pick him up I checked all the fluids, including the PS fluid. Everything was fine. Checked again when I got home and it was acting up, reservoir was at the same level it was at earlier: full. My dad is guessing the rack is going bad. I'm hoping if anything is going bad its the pump.

hardest part about changing the pump is the lines that go to the rack...

hardest part about changing the rack is not selling the car.

the rack was not that bad! LOL i change it in about 4 hours. I also have a 70-80k mile rack i got from rob (60k when i got it) id sell it to you for a reasonable price (better then dealer by FAR!)

I am pretty sure I have a spare rack (or 2?) sitting around. Buy me lunch somewhere cheap and its yours if you need it. out of a 92 or 93 z34. and "while you are at it" replace your swaybar bushings with poly ones, cheap and easy.

If you need a hand you know where to find me.

Also Shaun and I are hitting the junkyard tomorrow... just saying.

and the pump on a 3100 is cake walk, Try taking it off an l67.. after you find it ;) LOL

trust me, you don't have to tell me PS-related anything on a L67 is retarded.

how exactly does one check the fluid level where it's placed?

The problem is likely the in the gear. The pinion bearing in them goes bad and causes intermittent loss of assist at idle and if bad enough a can come apart completely and cause a really loose rack even with proper preload on it. It was recalled on some 96-98 w-bodies, but GM only recalled a few of the vehicles that had this problem. Mine is a 1996 and has this problem (has come apart completely too) but is still not covered in the recall. It wouldn't surprise me if 95's had this same problem. You can buy just that pinion bearing new, but it likely would cost just as much as a good used gear.

I think I'll do pump in the near future, and rack (and the pinion gear) in a little while. Especially if Chris is willing to lend a hand.

Anthony, what is shipping on that pump to 15136?

This problem seems to effect practically all GM racks. I had issues with the magnasteer rack in my 94 sts, it would get stiff to the left when hot. My 96 aurora would do it right after you took a really tight turn, also magnasteer. My moms 07 impala had the same problem, she called me saying it kept losing assist to the left. 97 lumina, grandmas. Same thing, loss of assist to the rest. That makes a K body, a G body, and 2 W bodys. Not a small issue at all, GM just doesnt want to admit it.

Update, it does only lose power at low RPMs and only sometimes. Yesterday it acted up. Today it seemed mostly fine (lost it once navigating a tight parking lot, but fine after that).

• 8 years later...

BUMP!!!

Sorry to Necromance an old eight year old thread but the MCSS is doing exactly what Fehl's car did. Does anybody remember how this saga ended?

I have a rack that seems fine in that GS Abboud that I can put in it but I keep reading about steering shaft issues from the second gens.

----------------

Symptoms are: intermittent tight steering at idle and it actually sheared the shaft clean off of the last PS pump. The intermittent tight steering at idle followed along with the new pump and the fluid level is fine, never leaks a drop that I can see.

----------------

The PO had problems with leaking PS fluid and his rummie "mechanic" hacked and spiced all the lines and never found the crack in the reservoir. I've since made proper line repairs but since it was likely run out of fluid numerous times before we got it I'm leaning towards the rack.

Your Regal may have the Magna Steer steering option.

First thought is that the solenoid that is mounted onto the rack is/has failed (the solenoid controls hydraulic pressure to be applied to the rack and pinion based on speed) , if one disconnects that solenoid and the situation disappears (as in the steering just goes heavy) then the solenoid is the source of the problem or elsewhere directly related to that circuit. The EBCM controls that solenoid.

If that doesn't solve it then the electro-magnet inside the rack is causing your problem.

I was thinkin it was strange Fehl never mentioned this issue at the wbody meet last weekend...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Should the Monte Carlo have Magnasteer? I thought about looking to see. In theory I could unplug the more accessible ABS module. I kind of wish the damn thing would just break so I can just find it. Intermittent errors suck.