TGP VIN database - website inside!

mfewtrail

17 hours ago, ManicMechanic said:

If you need help,. let me know, I have way too much free time.

Do you have a copy of the 1990 coupe list that I linked to years ago?. I'm up to around #600 in listing + confirming options. If you want to start from 2,740ish and work your way back, that would be a big help. I'm pretty much only going to to about 50 a day until I finish them out because after 50 I don't feel like messing with it any longer. I'm just marking exterior color, cd or tape, sunroof or no sunroof.  I

Man you guys are carving out a little piece of automotive history here. How many do you guys think are still out there? 

I shouldn`t want another 30+ year old Pontiac, especially one they dont make parts for but I`d really like to save one of these one day. I hate seeing an unwrecked car go to the JY.

6 hours ago, mfewtrail said:

Do you have a copy of the 1990 coupe list that I linked to years ago?. I'm up to around #600 in listing + confirming options. If you want to start from 2,740ish and work your way back, that would be a big help. I'm pretty much only going to to about 50 a day until I finish them out because after 50 I don't feel like messing with it any longer. I'm just marking exterior color, cd or tape, sunroof or no sunroof.  I

I think so, it's on another hdd if I do and I will have to search for it.

[edit]Found it, I'll get to work on that....As soon as I find my lost truck keys...

Edited by ManicMechanic

On 8/2/2020 at 9:01 AM, jiggity76 said:

Did you guys see the one I added yesterday?

Yes. Thanks. If your buddy goes back before the car is crushed: Please ask him to snap a photo of the build date on the driver's door jamb sticker if it's still there.

14 hours ago, mfewtrail said:

Yes. Thanks. If your buddy goes back before the car is crushed: Please ask him to snap a photo of the build date on the driver's door jamb sticker if it's still there.

I think i have a pic of the sticker on the Austin LKQ car on my phone, have to look.

23 hours ago, mfewtrail said:

It's a 90 and you can't get the build date from the VIN?  I thought you could.  Am I wrong on that?

8 hours ago, jiggity76 said:

It's a 90 and you can't get the build date from the VIN?  I thought you could.  Am I wrong on that?

Nope, either we get the door jamb sticker or pay PHS/GM heritage $50-150 for the date and I don't think either have the date ASC built the car, just the factory month/year.

3 hours ago, ManicMechanic said:

Nope, either we get the door jamb sticker or pay PHS/GM heritage $50-150 for the date and I don't think either have the date ASC built the car, just the factory month/year.

Good to know.  If I come across any, I will make sure to take a pic of that area.

16 hours ago, ManicMechanic said:

@mfewtrail

#2499 is not a TGP, it's a 4 cylinder LE sedan instead. One of those odd 1 c@rf@x record VINs.

1G5WP14V2LF297363

I can substitute a different letter instead of V and carfax suggests the McLaren 1G5WP14V2LF297363  vin to me, meaning that should be a real car since it has 1 record listed(?). It  If I change the vin more like a LE w/ a 4cyl I'm getting an autocorrect for a STE with 0 records?  Can you type the vin as it would be for  that 4cyl LE?

By the way, I'm running the free vin decoder for cars I already have options for. Lots of those were owner or seller supplied and the information is often inaccurate.

Edited by mfewtrail

3 hours ago, mfewtrail said:

I can substitute a different letter instead of V and carfax suggests the McLaren 1G5WP14V2LF297363  vin to me, meaning that should be a real car since it has 1 record listed(?). It  If I change the vin more like a LE w/ a 4cyl I'm getting an autocorrect for a STE with 0 records?  Can you type the vin as it would be for  that 4cyl LE?

By the way, I'm running the free vin decoder for cars I already have options for. Lots of those were owner or seller supplied and the information is often inaccurate.

Yes, but if you run it through Compnine or the free vin decoder, it will say that VIN is not in the system.

1G2WJ54D6LF297363 is the correct VIN for the 197363rd 1990 GP built.

5 hours ago, ManicMechanic said:

Yes, but if you run it through Compnine or the free vin decoder, it will say that VIN is not in the system.

1G2WJ54D6LF297363 is the correct VIN for the 197363rd 1990 GP built.

Thanks. I was typing the above vin incorrectly earlier as a LE and got autocorrected to a fake STE confusing me even more, lol. Have you had other instances of cars with 1 record that aren't real? I don't recall seeing that when I was going through the list years ago. I do recall having some zero record cars that were real though.

12 minutes ago, mfewtrail said:

Thanks. I was typing the above vin incorrectly earlier as a LE and got autocorrected to a fake STE confusing me even more, lol. Have you had other instances of cars with 1 record that aren't real? I don't recall seeing that when I was going through the list years ago. I do recall having some zero record cars that were real though.

I have when doing the 454SS trucks, this is the first but probably not the last TGP I've done as it seems rather common for some reason, like perhaps it's one digit off from a real TGP VIN and was put on something that gave it a report like a service record.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I've done the first 1,000 1990's so far on the free vin decoder. Lots of red cars built around that time. I must have corrected information for 10-15 cars I already have. Haven't found any fake ones this early into production yet like Manic' has at the opposite end.

9 hours ago, mfewtrail said:

I've done the first 1,000 1990's so far on the free vin decoder. Lots of red cars built around that time. I must have corrected information for 10-15 cars I already have. Haven't found any fake ones this early into production yet like Manic' has at the opposite end.

I've slacked off a little but slowly picking up.

• 2 weeks later...

I just grabbed this one in New Mexico.

1990 TGP 1G5WP14V4LF275378

62K, black exterior, tan cloth interior, no sunroof, factory tape deck.

142181984_10224737013082543_6542402214717551764_o.jpg

142546410_10224737014002566_7308044322460787209_o.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mfewtrail said:

The VIN number at the link has a Z in it instead of a 2, so it's really 1G5WP14V3LF246213. 9 carfax records.

Got it!  It's a 1 of 142 car.  Also a California emissions car.

Edited by jiggity76

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...