TGP VIN database - website inside!

mfewtrail

• 4 weeks later...

Where can I view more? The list I see only goes up to 500 or so.

I'm looking for some info on 279767.

I also have two other cars here I wouldn't mind seeing what you have. I don't have those two vins handy. I'll post them here tomorrow.

I haven't finished putting the rest of the list together to add to what is viewable now. I don't have access to it at the moment, but I can email you the list sometime later this week. There's likely no info for that number to be honest. Most cars I have very little to no information on.

That VIN is from a motor that I put in an 88 Z24 6 years ago.  Just curious about the history.  It's been rebuilt a couple times before it got here.

I also have info to provide on my new one, but it's an 89.  I don't know if you're tracking those.

• 2 months later...

*Big Update*

I finally put the lists to spreadsheet and html format. I don't have them hosted for direct viewing currently, but they can be downloaded here:    The file size is small, something like 165kb. It unpacks to about 6.9mb and includes the 89 Coupe, 90 Coupe, and 90 TSTE list in both spreadsheet and html formats. All of the lists are technically incomplete, but they're far more complete than you will likely ever see.  There are supposed to be 751 1989 coupes, 2,749 1990 coupes, and 1,000 Turbo STE sedans. Those numbers are stated by the Pontiac Historical Society and Compnine also listed the exact same numbers. The totals I ended up at are 734 for the 1989 coupes, 2,740 for the 1990 coupes, and only 200 some odd Turbo STE sedans. The sedan list is so far off because I never got around to running through the list for them. I did add about 150+ cars to it during the course of doing the 1990 coupe list so at least we have that...The VIN program I used quit working before I got around to making my final pass through of the 1990 coupe list. I made it from the 200,000-277,000 range and only added one car I had missed in my previous methods. I also crossed off one car in that range that I had accidentally listed that was not real. Considering I only came up with one car in that large range, I kinda doubt I would have ever produced the other supposed 9 cars made from 277,000 to about 306,XXX.

I need to thank a few people below for their help with this.

Skitchin - Huge thanks to him for automating the process and literally knocking months or even years off of this project.

turbo-v-sick  - Thanks for doing all the leg work on the  1989 coupe list! He has also dug up tons of history and photos on these cars that we might not have ever found without him.

ManicMechanic - Thanks for helping with the VIN project and constantly posting pictures and information on these cars making it easier for me to document them. I wouldn't have come across a fraction of the ones you do because I wasn't aware of half of those auction, salvage, etc. sites until you brought them to my attention.

I'm probably forgetting some people here, but thanks to anyone that helped in any way, big or small!

I wanted to turn in the list in a much more complete format but unfortunately it didn't turn out that way. Too bad compnine did away with the several free vin checks per day when my list was still in its infancy. Those were handy in filling out the color and option info on these cars. Eventually I would like to contact them about getting a custom account and have several people help go through and document the vins. That will not be any time soon though. I'm tired of looking at those numbers for now. :P  I will be lightly modifying the list over time. I have some extra little blurbs of information on some cars I will include in a text document alongside it later. I also want to go through all my old car photos and pull any TGP ones that I documented by vin to upload to a directory to accompany the list. Don't hold your breath on either of those things as it will be quite a while before I get around to them..

I also edited the first post on page 1 with a duplicate of this post for those that stumble across the thread when searching later. By that time, hopefully it will be hosted somewhere here on the w-body page. :biggrin:

Edit: I always forget something. The numbers there by each car are to be taken with a grain of salt. I don't have enough information to say whether they were built in sequence and the case of the missing cars makes those irrelevant as well. The 1990 list up to vins with 277K could potentially be correct numbers if they were built in sequence. I would like more people to report their build dates, preferably with photos of the stickers. Some of the color, option, etc information could be incorrect as well. Plenty of it was owner supplied and I could not verify it with compnine no longer available. If you have any corrections to things there, see any duplicate numbers, or whatever, please shoot me a message and I'll get around to correcting it when I can.

Edited by mfewtrail
  • Like 3

If its a rar file just download 7zip to uncompress it.

Or winrar.  I made a minor correction to the 89 list and added information for one more car on the 90 list since yesterday, so I added a new link.

Edited by mfewtrail

*Big Update*

ManicMechanic - Thanks for helping with the VIN project and constantly posting pictures and information on these cars making it easier for me to document them. I wouldn't have come across a fraction of the ones you do because I wasn't aware of half of those auction, salvage, etc. sites until you brought them to my attention.

Anytime Matt, I enjoy doing this kind of work.

I downloaded and opened the file with Winrar with no problems.

I wonder if Compnine would consider doing an offer for people like us doing databases for certain vehicles. It would be nice for the 454SS 'base because I have very few of them documented.

I really want to have a site setup like Sportmachines has for the Syclones and Typhoons.

Anytime Matt, I enjoy doing this kind of work.

I downloaded and opened the file with Winrar with no problems.

I wonder if Compnine would consider doing an offer for people like us doing databases for certain vehicles. It would be nice for the 454SS 'base because I have very few of them documented.

I really want to have a site setup like Sportmachines has for the Syclones and Typhoons.

Let me know what happens if you contact compnine. I contacted them years ago about something like that, but they did not even reply back.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest version of the list can be had here http://www.filedropper.com/tgpvindatabase.   Since the last one I posted, I added more information to various cars and corrected some stuff I had listed previously that was inaccurate. Estimating that I modified about 100 or so on the list. This will be the last update for a while to the list itself as there's not much more I can do with it at the moment.

Besides the list, I'm working on sorting pictures of some of the cars by vins to go along with the list. At some point a few years ago I started saving photos of the cars I came across using the vin numbers as file names. I went through and found the majority of these and only ended up with about 100 cars in total. I have pictures of many more TGP's than that, but unfortunately I have no good way of identifying them via vin. In hindsight, I wish I would have thought to save the photos with the vin file names way back. I will make a thread later asking all former and current owners to post pictures along with their vins if possible. I will be posting pictures of some cars myself as well to see if anyone can remember who owned them so that I can try to search old posts and match them to vin numbers. 

• Like 2

Latest version of the list can be had here http://www.filedropper.com/tgpvindatabase.   Since the last one I posted, I added more information to various cars and corrected some stuff I had listed previously that was inaccurate. Estimating that I modified about 100 or so on the list. This will be the last update for a while to the list itself as there's not much more I can do with it at the moment.

Besides the list, I'm working on sorting pictures of some of the cars by vins to go along with the list. At some point a few years ago I started saving photos of the cars I came across using the vin numbers as file names. I went through and found the majority of these and only ended up with about 100 cars in total. I have pictures of many more TGP's than that, but unfortunately I have no good way of identifying them via vin. In hindsight, I wish I would have thought to save the photos with the vin file names way back. I will make a thread later asking all former and current owners to post pictures along with their vins if possible. I will be posting pictures of some cars myself as well to see if anyone can remember who owned them so that I can try to search old posts and match them to vin numbers. 

I have pics of all 4 of mine and their current locations.

• 3 months later...

1G5WP14V0KF334344

Red exterior, tan leather, factory sunroof.

And the CD player! Wish there was an engine pic. The turbo laying in the passenger seat isn't a good sign.

And the CD player! Wish there was an engine pic. The turbo laying in the passenger seat isn't a good sign.

1G5WP14V0KF334344

Red exterior, tan leather, factory sunroof.

The VIN I listed is for my car, not the copart car.  lol

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...